VE Day

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Happy VE Day to everyone.

Can't believe it's been left to someone born 54 years after the event to start the thread!

Well done young man. You have just made me proud of our youth.

Bloke three doors down and over 60 just said to his wife 'What the hell's VE Day?' 

We are the only people in our street who have put decorations up. 

I despair. 

I laugh at anyone who compares staying in to WW2. 

Well done to all of you who has respected the day. 

It's a funny old day to celebrate. We celebrate victory but remember the sacrifices and honour those who went through it. It's like the wake to Rememberance Day's funeral.

I've been reading a book on the Battle of Britain and was hoping to finish it today as a tribute but it's 800 pages long so it may be VJ Day instead.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

It's a funny old day to celebrate. We celebrate victory but remember the sacrifices and honour those who went through it. It's like the wake to Rememberance Day's funeral.

There’s also the uncomfortable truth of what followed in Japan (rightly or wrongly) a few months later. But that doesn’t mean that the war ending in Europe and the Nazis being defeated isn’t something to celebrate.

38 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There’s also the uncomfortable truth of what followed in Japan (rightly or wrongly) a few months later. But that doesn’t mean that the war ending in Europe and the Nazis being defeated isn’t something to celebrate.

We were doing a quiz last night to support The Lily Foundation, a charity for sick children. 

The live feed for a quiz hosted by Phil Tufnell was disrupted by trolls spouting pro-Nazi propaganda. 

They're still about. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We were doing a quiz last night to support The Lily Foundation, a charity for sick children. 

The live feed for a quiz hosted by Phil Tufnell was disrupted by trolls spouting pro-Nazi propaganda. 

They're still about. 

I think you have to account for the fact that there will always be nutjobs about.

OK here goes.

I had an invite from neighbours a few doors down to come and celebrate VE day in the close, A couple of things, My Mother was cremated yesterday after contracting Covid-19 at a Nursing home in Derby, She was born in Austria in 1928 and I can tell you some war stories a damn site better than Uncle Albert, When Germany marched into Vienna where my Mother was born, Fear gripped the nation, Things changed for the worst, My Grandfather Joseph was a station master in Vienna, One thing that was never spoken about in their home was the closed trains that he was forced to send straight through to other areas of occupied Europe.

In 1943, My Uncle Karl Grohs who was 17 was conscripted into the German army, I have his photo in a German uniform in my living room, No choice join or shot, My other uncle Herbert Grohs(you can google his name)was arrested for stealing a cow he was around 13 years of age, The local butcher slaughtered it kept half and the other half was given to the Grohs family, The butcher a few days later WAS shot and killed for this dead, My Uncle most likely because of his age got away with it.

When the Russians moved in on the last days of occupation it was the Mongols that led the way, My Grandmaother Mariana who was a Czech national hated them, Mams family lived in a block of flats as most of the Viannese did, Banging on the door my Grandmother new what was comming, She opened the door and soldiers came in, Gran was expecting this so covered the girls faces with flour and begged the soldiers to leave them as they were ill, They did, But the family upstairs weren't so lucky, All 4 of them sailed past Mams window to their deaths.

Grandfather Joseph was kept on as a station master for his experience, By all accounts he was like Walker in Dads Army, He used his standing to rob alot of goods going through his station, On comming home one day, He was stopped by white Russians and pointed to his pocket watch, He pulled the watch out to give them the time, No, With a gun pointed at him it was the watch they wanted, Now Joseph was a big fella 6' + and around 18 stone he thought better to say know and handed it over, A little bit of karma I guess.

Uncle Sippi was an electrician he was taken to Russia as a prisoner for his skills, Released in 1951, He came home took to drink and was killed cycling home in 1953.

My Aunti Erma was a seamstress and a bloody good one i'm told, Unfortunately she was taken by 3 mongol soldiers and...well you can guess I reckon, Aunti Ingie was the girl about town, Made sure she wasnt kept short of anything when American soldiers came calling, Gertie My Mother met Ray my Dad, As he was a soldier stationed there he kept asking her for another date as he met her at a local dance hall, Dad wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, Not stupid but a little green at the time, Gertie was seeing an American soldier, But for some reason even she can't understand was she chose Ray.

I had a step Sister Christel who was Gerties and the local removel owners Son, The Son i'm told was killed fighting for Germany, Christal was a Lady who I miss greatly.

So today on VE Day to Joseph, Mariana, Erma, Gertrude, Ingie, Karl, Sippi, Herbert and Christal who are now no longer with us...I salute you all.

11 minutes ago, TramRam said:

OK here goes.

I had an invite from neighbours a few doors down to come and celebrate VE day in the close, A couple of things, My Mother was cremated yesterday after contracting Covid-19 at a Nursing home in Derby, She was born in Austria in 1928 and I can tell you some war stories a damn site better than Uncle Albert, When Germany marched into Vienna where my Mother was born, Fear gripped the nation, Things changed for the worst, My Grandfather Joseph was a station master in Vienna, One thing that was never spoken about in their home was the closed trains that he was forced to send straight through to other areas of occupied Europe.

In 1943, My Uncle Karl Grohs who was 17 was conscripted into the German army, I have his photo in a German uniform in my living room, No choice join or shot, My other uncle Herbert Grohs(you can google his name)was arrested for stealing a cow he was around 13 years of age, The local butcher slaughtered it kept half and the other half was given to the Grohs family, The butcher a few days later WAS shot and killed for this dead, My Uncle most likely because of his age got away with it.

When the Russians moved in on the last days of occupation it was the Mongols that led the way, My Grandmaother Mariana who was a Czech national hated them, Mams family lived in a block of flats as most of the Viannese did, Banging on the door my Grandmother new what was comming, She opened the door and soldiers came in, Gran was expecting this so covered the girls faces with flour and begged the soldiers to leave them as they were ill, They did, But the family upstairs weren't so lucky, All 4 of them sailed past Mams window to their deaths.

Grandfather Joseph was kept on as a station master for his experience, By all accounts he was like Walker in Dads Army, He used his standing to rob alot of goods going through his station, On comming home one day, He was stopped by white Russians and pointed to his pocket watch, He pulled the watch out to give them the time, No, With a gun pointed at him it was the watch they wanted, Now Joseph was a big fella 6' + and around 18 stone he thought better to say know and handed it over, A little bit of karma I guess.

Uncle Sippi was an electrician he was taken to Russia as a prisoner for his skills, Released in 1951, He came home took to drink and was killed cycling home in 1953.

My Aunti Erma was a seamstress and a bloody good one i'm told, Unfortunately she was taken by 3 mongol soldiers and...well you can guess I reckon, Aunti Ingie was the girl about town, Made sure she wasnt kept short of anything when American soldiers came calling, Gertie My Mother met Ray my Dad, As he was a soldier stationed there he kept asking her for another date as he met her at a local dance hall, Dad wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, Not stupid but a little green at the time, Gertie was seeing an American soldier, But for some reason even she can't understand was she chose Ray.

I had a step Sister Christel who was Gerties and the local removel owners Son, The Son i'm told was killed fighting for Germany, Christal was a Lady who I miss greatly.

So today on VE Day to Joseph, Mariana, Erma, Gertrude, Ingie, Karl, Sippi, Herbert and Christal who are now no longer with us...I salute you all.

Wow. 

We should all be very grateful for what we have. 

Archived