Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 24/07/2023 at 17:24, Alpha said:

No, not race. But gender. Men are stupid reminders littered across the whole movie just like pretty much everything in the last few years. I thought Barbie looked quite fun and witty from the trailers. But it wasn't. 

Tarantino rightly described it as the worst period for Hollywood since the 1950's. Include Netflix etc in that.

Star Wars, Disney, Rings Of Power, Wheel Of Time, The Witcher, The Last Of Us... I could go on forever. 

It's been good seeing some of the most successful writers and directors question why there are so good stories being told and just CGI action sequences and old stories being badly rewritten to carry an agenda. 

Like i said, Barbie looked like family fun. As @Ramplesaid, it just seemed to be actually trying to make some sort of point. But it's Barbie ffs

Pulp Fiction was okay, but other than that I’d struggle to name a good Tarantino film.

Just done Gran Turismo.

For a true story I'd never heard of the events it depicts, even as someone who was aware of and played the first few game in the series heavily.

Pretty enjoyable overall, well directed on track action. For a film based on true events it has enough to work with, and whilst it does okay with tension it doesn't quite hit the emotion that sports movies can. 

First time I've seen anything in David Harbour who played the part well, but the rest of the cast were just adequate. 

In a shocking bit of casting we have Geri Halliwell turning up in a straight acting role. Talk about pulling you out of the film.

Overall a solid 7 out of 10 but could have been better.

On 13/08/2023 at 22:01, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Jackie Brown was good and True Romance though he wrote it rather than directed it. 

Agreed. True Romance was the best Tarantino film he didn't direct. 

I really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

RD is a classic and Django was brilliant too. 

I wasn't at all arsed about Kill Bill. 

Would Pulp Fiction be any good in the right order or just bang average?

True Romance is quality, as is Reservoir Dogs

Dusk Till Dawn and Natural Born Killers were pretty decent

Found Jackie Brown dull (avoided it at the cinema due to the All Saints mini-movie playing before it if I recall)

Enjoyed Kill Bill, but not so much part 2, Death Proof was pretty poor

Inglorious B was inconsistent but when it's good it's good. The Christophe Waltz interrogation scene is one of the best scenes in cinema for me.

After that its just been a trudge, almost as if its for award glory rather than art or fun - all too long, too dull, too Dicaprio, lacking what made his earlier films good (although I see Hateful 8 tried to recapture some of that with an ensemble cast).

8 hours ago, Rample said:

Would Pulp Fiction be any good in the right order or just bang average?

True Romance is quality, as is Reservoir Dogs

Dusk Till Dawn and Natural Born Killers were pretty decent

Found Jackie Brown dull (avoided it at the cinema due to the All Saints mini-movie playing before it if I recall)

Enjoyed Kill Bill, but not so much part 2, Death Proof was pretty poor

Inglorious B was inconsistent but when it's good it's good. The Christophe Waltz interrogation scene is one of the best scenes in cinema for me.

After that its just been a trudge, almost as if its for award glory rather than art or fun - all too long, too dull, too Dicaprio, lacking what made his earlier films good (although I see Hateful 8 tried to recapture some of that with an ensemble cast).

Doesn't he just act in From Dusk Til Dawn? Natural Born Killers was Oliver Stone?

He does massively over indulge himself at times. That technique of 'normal' conversations (in the diner in Reservoir Dogs) and then the 'Royale with cheese' scene were good at first but got really tiresome. Hateful 8 was so overblown and chat-heavy it was untrue.

Django and Inglorious would both have improved by being at least 30mins shorter.

Started Once Upon a Time and got bored after 10mins. Just lost interest in him now. 

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Doesn't he just act in From Dusk Til Dawn? Natural Born Killers was Oliver Stone?

He does massively over indulge himself at times. That technique of 'normal' conversations (in the diner in Reservoir Dogs) and then the 'Royale with cheese' scene were good at first but got really tiresome. Hateful 8 was so overblown and chat-heavy it was untrue.

Django and Inglorious would both have improved by being at least 30mins shorter.

Started Once Upon a Time and got bored after 10mins. Just lost interest in him now. 

PS I can see he wrote the screenplays....forgot that.

Both are better films for it I think.

Just been on an 8-hour flight and got through some pretty good films.

The Royal Tenenbaums: Wasn’t expecting to love this as Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel left me a little cold, but this was really good and had a heart. Fikayo Tomori / 10.

Aftersun: This has gotten pretty popular with the TikTok crowd so thought I’d give it a go. Very sad, a little slow, but worth a watch. Omar Mascarell / 10.

Back to the Future: Had seen this once before and enjoyed it, but I’m now able to appreciate why it’s considered by some to be the “perfect movie”. Doesn’t resonate with me as much as something like Interstellar, but very enjoyable and technically brilliant. Mason Mount / 10.

On 19/08/2023 at 23:25, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Royal Tenenbaums: Wasn’t expecting to love this as Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel left me a little cold, but this was really good and had a heart. Fikayo Tomori / 10.

I kind of feel the same about Anderson's later offerings. They aren't bad, but he almost became a parody of himself, hitting the exact same beats and utilising the exact same themes as all his other films. Have you seen The Darjeeling Limited?

Went a bit rom-com ballistic over the weekend:

All In Good Time: A modern remake (about ten years old now) of The Family Way with John and Hayley Mills (easily in any top ten films of all time for me). It's got Meera Syal in and is based in Bolton, as was the original, but is around an Indian community. Many of the lines are taken verbatim from the original. It's a good watch, if not the classic of the original. Peter Daniel / 10

Whats Love Got To Do With It: I think this came up in the "if you liked that you'll like this" kinda way. Childhood friends Lily James and some bloke with Pakistani heritage follow his path through an arranged / assisted marriage, she being a film maker with a documentary. It's not as bad as you think, but it's also never going to make it to the Oscar nominations. I guess that's the point of rom coms, they are ultimately so predictable but still you watch them to the end just to be proved right. Spencer Prior / 10

The Out Laws: You have to watch it just to hear Pierce Brosnan's Scottish (I think) accent. Then switch it off, coz it's just horrible. How this got funding, or even a release, is way beyond me. Stay away, the plot, the acting, the script are just cringeworthy in the extreme. Jay McEveley / 10

Oh, and I rewatched:

The Family Way: If you have never seen this, get it on and prepare to be taken back to a time when the world was a so much better place. The acting is just beyond compare (particularly John Mills) and some of the one liners are as good as ever. If you grew up in a terrace, or if you remember the outside loo, then this is nostalgia on the grandest of scales. Plus you get to see Hayley Mills bum. Alan Hinton / 10

21 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The Out Laws: You have to watch it just to hear Pierce Brosnan's Scottish (I think) accent. Then switch it off, coz it's just horrible. How this got funding, or even a release, is way beyond me. Stay away, the plot, the acting, the script are just cringeworthy in the extreme. Jay McEveley / 10

Is it better or worse than his Irish accent in Taffin?

25 minutes ago, Anon said:

Is it better or worse than his Irish accent in Taffin?

To be fair, it might be the same accent. It was quite hard to tell exactly what he was trying to be. I find it amazing that they let him work through that whole film without someone taking him to one side and telling him he sounded like someone telling a joke on The Comedians.