Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 21 January 2018 at 19:40, King Kevin said:

Got round to watching Dunkirk last night absolute garbage ,not a patch on the 1958 version .The CGI and the background, Ahem soundtrack is just terrible.

First time round I thought it was a bit weak, but oddly I watched it again because my nephew was round and he expressed an interest as his Granddad was really there. It works if you view it as a kind of "everymans" view of a moment in time, life and history. The ship sinking scenes were incredible honest and graphic, there was a raw in the moment honesty that I appreciated on a different level than daring do and noble sacrifice ( things I enjoy watching usually) ... A worthy take on an amazing story. ( can't forgive them the 1970's railway carriage though :angry:

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Eventually got around to going to see Darkest Hour today only for it to be sold out when we got there. I know before anybody says. We should have pre-booked. Ended up watching Early Man. Not too bad tbh. I'd no idea it was based around footy so that was a welcome surprise. 

We went to see Darkest Hour last Saturday evening - there were about 20 people in the screening (at the Showcase on the Ring Road) - worth seeing - Gary Oldman is great as Churchill....

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

We went to see Darkest Hour last Saturday evening - there were about 20 people in the screening (at the Showcase on the Ring Road) - worth seeing - Gary Oldman is great as Churchill....

Yeah saw a trailer for it when we went to see Dunkirk and it looked good. Was really looking forward to seeing it. Will try to get to a screening this week sometime. Thought we'd have no trouble getting in since it's been out a couple of weeks.

22 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Eventually got around to going to see Darkest Hour today only for it to be sold out when we got there. I know before anybody says. We should have pre-booked. Ended up watching Early Man. Not too bad tbh. I'd no idea it was based around footy so that was a welcome surprise. 

Darkest Hour is well worth watching mate.

Went to see Coco today... the Mrs is a massive Disney fan so kept her happy, apart from being about the only adults in the cinema without a child it was quite an enjoyable movie. Plot twist was pretty obvious but enjoyable nonetheless and had the good old adult Disney jokes. Well worth a watch.

7 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Went to see Coco today... the Mrs is a massive Disney fan so kept her happy, apart from being about the only adults in the cinema without a child it was quite an enjoyable movie. Plot twist was pretty obvious but enjoyable nonetheless and had the good old adult Disney jokes. Well worth a watch.

Would you say it's OK for a 5 year old?

My little one is pretty clued up about life & death etc but I'm wondering if this would be too much. Mrs Wolfie suggested taking her to see it but I'm not sure.....

Edited by Wolfie

43 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

My little one is pretty clued up about life & death etc but I'm wondering if this would be too much. Mrs Wolfie suggested taking her to see it but I'm not sure.....

Coco does approach the subject of death and there are a lot of skeletons and scary faces to deal with. However it is done very well.

I guess only you know your childs mind when it comes to these sort of things. I suspect some children will not notice the subject matter and the skeletons where as others will find it scary.

I watched it with my wife as it had been recommended on the radio during BBC 5 lives film review.

We thought it was excellent and I am 55 and a 1/4.

Edited by BathRam72

On 10/8/2017 at 09:15, TimRam said:

I am probably going to be in the minority here but Blade Runner 2049 was one of the dullest films I have ever seen...of any genre, never mind sci-fi. I was a big fan of the 1982 version so after seeing 5/5 reviews and high % on Rotten Tomatoes, had big expectations here. Trust me, even the 1982 cityscape look was done much better than this reboot. Very strange and seems like others watched a totally different film. Don't get me wrong, I knew this was going to be at the same pace as the original but that seemed like 100mph compared to Blade Runner 2049.

3/10. 1 for the fit hologram, 1 for Harrison Fords appearance and 1 for the all too brief "action".

Late to the party here, but the original is one of my favourite films too, so I was in the same boat as you. High hopes based on the reviews. Finally got round to seeing it at the weekend, and was massively underwhelmed

Ryan Gosling is pretty dire for a start. Spends the whole film looking like a confused Rodney Trotter, and even though I hoped it would pick up when Harrison Ford finally arrived in the last hour it just got even more stupid. The scene where Ford repeatedly punches him for no discernible reason is excuciating.

You can't base a 3 hour film on a fundamentally weak plot point. Spoilers but they seemed to expect the audience to buy the idea that if two replicants somehow had a baby then it would mean the onset of a terrible war? Why? Even the bait and switch of making you think that Rodney was the baby was badly done.

No stars

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

There were children around about that age when we went, I guess it all depends on your 5 year old. There's nothing too scary in it, I'd say give it a go.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

My 5 year old has seen it, and he was fine.

As others have said, Three Billboards is excellent. Check out Martin McDonagh's other stuff, In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths too.

Watched Hell or High Water last night which is a fab film too. Wind River the director's most recent movie (think she wrote both too!) is nearly as good as defo worth a watch.

Sat down to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer the other night and was back in the pub 30 minutes later. Incomprehensibly awful.

I Saw The Devil (hugely stylish Korean revenge movie) requires a stern constitution but is quite brilliant in every way. My top pick of the recent batch.

Scores on the doors....

I Saw The Devil  - 9/10
Three Billboards 9/10
Hell or High Water 8.5/10
Dunkirk 8/10
Blade Runner 2049 8/10
The Last Jedi 6/10

The Killing of A Sacred Deer 1/10 :ermm:

Colossal

Anne Hathaway plays a heavy drinking New York party girl, dumped by her boyfriend & forced to go back to her small home town. Then a massive monster appears in Seoul and it quickly becomes apparent that there's a connection between them......

Seriously weird film. Part comedy, part comment on nihilism, alcoholism and abusive relationships.

Very odd. I'll definitely have to see it again. 7/10

CHiPs: Law and Disorder - crass, childish, rude, smutty, sexist - with a few laugh out loud moments and fairly good action sequences - switch your brain off for a couple of hours and it's pretty enjoyable....If you need to be convinced, the film critic in the Guardian gave it one star out of five - so it must be good ;)

On 30/01/2018 at 17:23, 86 points said:

As others have said, Three Billboards is excellent. Check out Martin McDonagh's other stuff, In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths too.

Sat down to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer the other night and was back in the pub 30 minutes later. Incomprehensibly awful.

The Killing of A Sacred Deer 1/10 :ermm:

Agree entirely about The Killing of a Sacred Dear which I suspect I put in this thread earlier.

Went to The Shape of Water last night. I'd read the screenplay beforehand so I knew what was going to happen. Really I think it was trying too hard and was too one-dimensional and predictable. Admittedly with some unusual elements. I think I'd give it 6.5.