Worst Rams Manager Ever

ramsbottom

Mac1 and his übersexy football.

Ruined the football he did. I've had unrealistic expectations ever since and it's hard to take.

If you don't agree, just take a look at posts before mine. That's the level I'm used to.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hard to get a team promoted when you are sacked halfway through the season.

Had us in play off positions at the time.

To be fair I do think the sacking was probably a bit premature, but we were on a serious downward spiral (we’d only scored something like twice in 7 games if I remember correctly. It was feeling pretty inevitable that we were going to drop out the playoff positions over the coming games as Clement didn’t seem to be turning the tide, certainly felt that way to me anyway, which I believe is why MM acted when he did (though I’ve heard other rumours about that particular time, as have many others). Regardless, with the quality of squad he had compared to the rest of the division, we should’ve been up with the top 2, not just top 6. 

Devils advocate of course, as there are many more obvious names out there who were terrible managers. Just thought he was worth a mention in this discussion.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

In my time:

Jewell is far out in front. Utterly awful from start to finish.

Nigel Pearson and Phil Brown fight it out for second. There's caveats on both, Brown was dealing with a very unhelpful board, Pearson was trying to do something apparently at odds with what he was hired for and mercifully the mistake was culled in time. Phil Brown got Hull in the Prem, Pearson given hands off and unlimited time and funds at leicester got them promoted and is doing well at Watford, so, not both totally bad managers full stop....but for my money both were awful for Derby County.

Honorable mentions for *post play off* Billy Davies and John Gregory.

Biggest disappointment was Paul Clement, I was a believer, more fool me.

That shouldn't affect a Championship footballer's ability to pass the ball though ? 

I was down to the sad situation of playing "count the passes before the inevitable hoof". Our standard was 3, rarely did we put together 4 passes at the end. The football was so bad I spent my time counting.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

That shouldn't affect a Championship footballer's ability to pass the ball though ? 

I was down to the sad situation of playing "count the passes before the inevitable hoof". Our standard was 3, rarely did we put together 4 passes at the end. The football was so bad I spent my time counting.

Yeah, that was pretty bad. I most remember the dropping Camp for his coach being pretty amusing in a "oh my, it really is this poo isn't it" kind of way.

1 hour ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Probably heresy but Roy Mac

Very harsh.  Not so much due to his legend status as a player, but because his two seasons as manager weren't exactly terrible. Play off final loss in his first season (not his fault John Harkes couldn't volley a ball) and 9th in his second.  Played some decent stuff as well...

12 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Tommy Docherty i still haven't recovered from him swapping the best Scottish Midfielder in his generation for a no mark red-dog Goalkeeper who's name i will not utter.

Yeah has to be Tommy Docherty - not just because he was rubbish, but because he started from such a position of strength!

Murphy inherited the Mackay-era side, but wasn't realy experienced enough. The Doc was meant to turn that around, but instead - sold all our best players and brough a load of crap in instead. Unforgiveable

The two that followed were pretty dire too (Addison and Newman), but they came into the job when the wheels were already off, so can be offered a little more forgiveness

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I thought Docherty would get some love, well hate, but it was a bit before my time.  But if it wasn't for Terry Westley's sterling work after Brown was sacked, we could've still been recovering.

We still are recovering from what Tommy Docherty did to us,

1 hour ago, rebb1 said:

Tommy Docherty

He sold our best players for a pittance and bought in expensive failures.

He put the future of our club in serious financial difficulties.

The worst manager ever.

And to be fair it was worse than that

This thread may have invited a more meaningful discussion if it had been entitled "Worst Rams Manager Ever other than Docherty".

On that basis...
I think wee Billy deserves a mention because he added poor players to a decent squad, practically blowing automatic promotion, scraped into the play-offs and was horrible (wishing it were Preston) when everyone else was celebrating. Then - albeit with his hands tied financially - bought some rank players for the Premier League. Not only that, his tactics weren't just defensive but more suitable for a team like Leeds - win at all costs, play dirty.

Shudder.

43 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

This thread may have invited a more meaningful discussion if it had been entitled "Worst Rams Manager Ever other than Docherty".

On that basis...
I think wee Billy deserves a mention because he added poor players to a decent squad, practically blowing automatic promotion, scraped into the play-offs and was horrible (wishing it were Preston) when everyone else was celebrating. Then - albeit with his hands tied financially - bought some rank players for the Premier League. Not only that, his tactics weren't just defensive but more suitable for a team like Leeds - win at all costs, play dirty.

Shudder.

The poison dwarf absolutely deserves mention here because you can't quite shake the suspicion that there was an element of self sabotage to prove a point to the board. He whinged incessantly about lack of funds and then spent his largest transfer fees on Earnshaw and Davis. I can categorically state that there was much better value available for 6.5 million quid in 2007.

Archived