Worst Rams Manager Ever

ramsbottom

40 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

For me in my lifetime Pearson... I absolutely detested the time we had him as manager, Jewell and Brown were awful too. Unfortunately I only really became a fan in 97-98, best is obviously the bald eagle but I really liked Clough steadied a ship that could quite easily have sunk.

Pearson was another Clough - Leeds fiasco .  Called out the players a couple of times and they didn't like it .  I'm convinced we would have gone up in a couple of year's if he'd stayed on.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pearson was another Clough - Leeds fiasco .  Called out the players a couple of times and they didn't like it .  I'm convinced we would have gone up in a couple of year's if he'd stayed on.

Nigel Pearson’s public persona, no, not even that, his attitude with the media, is completely different to how he actually is. He’s sound at best and is a pussy at worst. 

Our players quite liked him. They just hadn’t got a clue what he wanted them to do. 

Don't know some of the older managers, so will only have the era I've watched to go with. Paul Jewell was shocking. One of my first seasons as a season ticket holder. Depressing. Nigel Pearson is high up the list. I still haven't forgiven Rowett for selling Hughes and his awful football.

16 hours ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Hello all, first post.

While not disagreeing about Docherty being our worst ever manager, I do feel that there are some rose-tinted specs about where we when he took over.  We certainly weren't title contenders. In 76-77, we finished 15th, three points above the relegation places.  We won only 9 games all season - the lowest in the division (all at home).  The great Clough/Mackay team had got old and changes were definitely needed when Docherty took over in September 1977.  Unfortunately he made all the wrong changes....

In more recent times, Brown was probably the worst for me.  As somebody mentioned, he played Idiakez largely out of position.  He also signed Paul Thirlwell, who is often derided as one of our worst ever players.  Yet he was hardly helped by Brown, who played him where Idiakez should have played and vice versa.

I'd agree with this. Docherty didnt inherit a great platform in the same way Mackay did but no doubt made some poor decisions, mainly which players he sold.

Suspect some of Docherty's approach at Derby was shaped by his time at Man Utd earlier in the 70s. Again he'd taken over a recently successful club that had a core of ageing players & with a very successful previous manager recently gone. By his own admission Docherty was too slow to bring about changes to Man Utd, persisted with George Best for too long & failed to bring fresh blood to the team until it was too late...they ended up getting relegated in 1973. There's a good documentary on BT Sport about his time there called 'Too Good To Go Down'

Also agree Phil Brown is the poorest manager of the modern era considering his neanderthal tactics, total lack of rapport with the fans & having inherited a decent squad from Burley. Paul Jewell is harder to judge...although he was ultimately a spectacular failure, he walked into a terrible situation. He always looked like a guy who was overwhelmed by the task...wrong appointment at the wrong time. He admitted he didnt want the job until the summer but had been persuaded by Adam Pearson to join sooner.

A lot of people have posted Jewell as their recommendation if that's the the correct word....Jewell is a difficult one as we were effectively already relegated by the time he arrived....in hindsight which is a wonderful thing he would have been better not to have spent anything in the January transfer window which is notorious for over inflated transfer fees instead of picking up a load of average mercenaries on massive wages which would have been the only bargaining chip to make it an attractive proposition to come and join us.

17 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Discounting the Doc John Gregory self combusted and Nigel Pearson was expunged.

We've had our share of bad managers but remember our best have been absolutely brilliant.

Tim Ward signed Kevin Hector

Dave Mackay persuaded both Francis Lee and Charlie George to play for us and win a league title.

Jim Smith, Frank Lampard, Steve McClaren.

Oh, nearly forgot Brian Clough and Peter Taylor.

Plenty of good and great managers. Handful of poor to awful ones.

And that's just in my time supporting them!

Who knows what lies ahead?

You forgot Arthur Cox. Took over a ridiculously thread-bare squad that had just been relegated to the Third Division. Then with barely a penny spent, we were challenging for European football within 5 years.

Better than Clough.

Anyway, back on topic...

Docherty.

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Never really felt that myself. It's true he never got any time to implement what he wanted. Who knows, he's clearly not just a rank bad manager but I never felt he was the right fit here. If he'd have come in when Nigel clough did, or even when Cocu did, I might have felt it a much better fit.

I was just never a believer, I thought people got caught up in the Leicester thing too much. I hated his time here. I don't hate him, it's clear in the right situation he can be a good manager but it ended up setting us way back that season and the way we shot up the table under mac2 it was clear he got nothing near to the best out of what was a very talented squad.

But then I'm convinced we'd have made play offs under Nigel clough in 13/14.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

A lot of people have posted Jewell as their recommendation if that's the the correct word....Jewell is a difficult one as we were effectively already relegated by the time he arrived....in hindsight which is a wonderful thing he would have been better not to have spent anything in the January transfer window which is notorious for over inflated transfer fees instead of picking up a load of average mercenaries on massive wages which would have been the only bargaining chip to make it an attractive proposition to come and join us.

And the summer after and next season until he was fired? Not pumping him out as soon as that season was finished was a huge mistake.

29 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

You forgot Arthur Cox. Took over a ridiculously thread-bare squad that had just been relegated to the Third Division. Then with barely a penny spent, we were challenging for European football within 5 years.

Better than Clough.

Anyway, back on topic...

Docherty.

Totally agree EXCEPT .....there ain''t never been no manager better than Brian Clough.

I have to presume that you are referring to Nigel or Simon!?

Phil Brown. Trying to emulate Big Sam and my word he failed in every way possible. To be fair, Stern John and Danny Graham together could have been lethal in our division. He managed to turn them pair into donkeys. Pesch scored every time he came off the bench, Brown didnt like him and it was clear to see. Shocking manager. 

56 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Colin Murphy , bloke looked like a science teacher , absolutely clueless as a football manager

I beg to differ...think his time was not too bad...although we drew a lot of games. Only lost 2 in last 15 games? Memory hazy though!

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I disagree that we were effectively relegated when he arrived. Whilst I will acknowledge it was far from an easy task to save us, he had the almost two thirds of the season to get to grips with an admittedly weak squad. To be unable to win a single game in that period was criminal in my eyes. He came in with a defeatist attitude and it just spread throughout the club. The fact he never really turned that around compounds my belief that in my lifetime he is far and away the worst manager in our history.

Docherty was worst, absolutely appalling excuse for a manager and the directors who appointed him made a dreadful error of judgement.

Jewell was just shocking, and the hapless Philip Brown can only be excused as it was his first management job and had to work under the 3 amigos. 

In my era that i can remember a little I'd suggest there are a few potential candidates. While I have been following Derby from 2000 i'm not including Gregory, Todd etc. as I simply cannot remember well enough from those eras. 

Phil Brown- Truly an awful manager when he was here. He managed to destroy the good assets of the squad and deployed some truly awful players. He does have strong mitigating circumstances that he was working with a board that was beyond merely not ideal as some posters have commented (we're still i believe the only club in English league football to have ended up with board members actually imprisoned) however even in awful circumstances he was shocking and managed to destroy his relationship with the fans remarkably quickly. 

Billy Davies- A controversial one given he got us promoted but i think there are a couple of reasons why he may belong. Despite this there are a few reasons to include him. First, his transfers in the promotion season which took us from automatic certainties to play off chancers. That alone should have given us warning about his prowess in the transfer market. Second, his 'billy davies' show which turned what should have been a magical moment into a bad soap opera drama. Third, how he managed the prem season and attempted to extricate himself from the mess. For me he's got to be up there as maybe not the worst but one of the most unlikable managers around while i've supported the club. 

Paul Jewell- I actually feel sorry for Paul. He came in trying to divert a car crash and ended up in the wreckage himself. However, the attempted rebuild was shambolic and the money used was borderline criminal. In different circumstances could have been v.good like gregory but unfortunately for both Derby and him it was a nightmare. 

Clement- Some have included him but i can't see how he fits compared to other names. Both Hughes and Bryson suffered injuries in the first game of the season at bolton under him which led to panic buying and a wreckage of our midfield. We were still in the playoffs under him and i remain convinced we'd have probably gone up with him in charge despite his inability to produce the best from the squad. 

Pearson- For me he's a genuine contender. A man who decided kick and rush 4-4-2 was the answer to our problems while causing absolute mayhem in the process. We looked utterly toothless during his tenure, never looked like scoring and every game during his management was a form of torture. Alongside this he brought in signings who are still costing us somehow. His dismissal was shrouded in mystery which given his temperament on tv does not surprise me in the slightest....  In my opinion he has a strong claim on the worst Derby manager in the 20 years I've watched them. 

On 20/03/2020 at 18:19, MuespachRam said:

Ok...I am going to bite...what can I say, I am at home and I am bored..... I have highlighted a couple of things for you.

Practically blowing automatic promotion - Doesn't make sense, we didnt get automatic promotion so I guess that was "blown" but, did we get promoted, yes or no, simple question, so did he "blow promotion"?

Scraped into the play offs.....? - We finished 10 points clear of 7th place, 10 points..!! I cant be bothered to look it up but I bet we were hardly out of the promotion places all season were we?

Win at all costs - As opposed to what...? its the name of the game, winning.

Worst manager...? He is the best manager we have had since Jim Smith.

Hi Billy 

Sith Happens
On 20/03/2020 at 18:19, MuespachRam said:

Ok...I am going to bite...what can I say, I am at home and I am bored..... I have highlighted a couple of things for you.

Practically blowing automatic promotion - Doesn't make sense, we didnt get automatic promotion so I guess that was "blown" but, did we get promoted, yes or no, simple question, so did he "blow promotion"?

Scraped into the play offs.....? - We finished 10 points clear of 7th place, 10 points..!! I cant be bothered to look it up but I bet we were hardly out of the promotion places all season were we?

Win at all costs - As opposed to what...? its the name of the game, winning.

Worst manager...? He is the best manager we have had since Jim Smith.

Agree with a lot of what you say, I think its the post play off actions that reduces his stock among Derby fans...the refusal to commit, the shocking transfer window, what seemed to be a clear attempt to bail out by going public and criticising the chairman, and the final one say he wished it had been preston...

Best manager since smith? Not for me....George Burley for me with the resources he had to take us to the play offs was immense...that team he built on no money and the way they played...wonder how much a Raziak, Smith, Reich, Idiakez, Bisgaard and so on would cost us these days.

On 20/03/2020 at 12:59, ramsbottom said:

Very harsh.  Not so much due to his legend status as a player, but because his two seasons as manager weren't exactly terrible. Play off final loss in his first season (not his fault John Harkes couldn't volley a ball) and 9th in his second.  Played some decent stuff as well...

Didn’t he also bring through the likes of Paul Williams and lee carsley?

i May be wrong 

I seem to remember Roy max doing pretty well after the fall out of the cox spending spree,

galvanised the club on reduced resources 

and he signed Paul Trollope 

Archived