Worst Rams Manager Ever

ramsbottom

48 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

This thread may have invited a more meaningful discussion if it had been entitled "Worst Rams Manager Ever other than Docherty".

On that basis...
I think wee Billy deserves a mention because he added poor players to a decent squad, practically blowing automatic promotion, scraped into the play-offs and was horrible (wishing it were Preston) when everyone else was celebrating. Then - albeit with his hands tied financially - bought some rank players for the Premier League. Not only that, his tactics weren't just defensive but more suitable for a team like Leeds - win at all costs, play dirty.

Shudder.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

The poison dwarf absolutely deserves mention here because you can't quite shake the suspicion that there was an element of self sabotage to prove a point to the board. He whinged incessantly about lack of funds and then spent his largest transfer fees on Earnshaw and Davis. I can categorically state that there was much better value available for 6.5 million quid in 2007.

@MuespachRam You have the floor ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cannable said:

Spent £25,000,000, when that was still a colossal amount of money, on a team that hadn’t been promoted due to mitigating circumstances rather than quality issues and managed to make it worse. 

Wasnt a large chunk of the £25m spent due to mitigating circumstances?

The Doc by miles and miles and miles.....then I could never stand Addison and in third place....I hate to say it because they were all in some way or another Derby County legends but..... Todd, Roy Mac, Gregory were all so so disappointing.....I so wanted Gregory to succeed and really thought he would... wow was I wrong.

Haven't we had some tosh as managers over the years?

Tommy Docherty has to be up there for the well documented destroying of a great squad. But in the mix is Colin Addison and Colin Murphy, but the greatest challenger at the time was John Newman who was completely bereft of personality, and managed to get his team playing like it as well. MY family ran a charity giving a holiday and youth club facilities for kids in social services care. We held a fund-raising gala in Mickleover which John Newman and his assistant came to open, and it was like there was a great big black hole every where he went. Thankfully he cleared off quite quickly, but was oh soooooooo dull. Colin Todd is also up there. Signing Ducrot should win him the title by itself! But my issue with him is that he was being trained and prepared by the Bals Eagle to take over the fabulous squad Jim had put together. Sadly, when Stevie Mac left for Manure, Jim went into "mustn't lose" mode, and the magic was gone. Jim was given the boot and Toddy took over, but there was a very strong whiff of Colin having gone to the board behind his back and got him sacked. The team never played for Toddy, and he didn't last long.

But in the end it has to be the Doc for prescribing and administrating the wrong medicine.

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

This thread may have invited a more meaningful discussion if it had been entitled "Worst Rams Manager Ever other than Docherty".

On that basis...
I think wee Billy deserves a mention because he added poor players to a decent squad, practically blowing automatic promotion, scraped into the play-offs and was horrible (wishing it were Preston) when everyone else was celebrating. Then - albeit with his hands tied financially - bought some rank players for the Premier League. Not only that, his tactics weren't just defensive but more suitable for a team like Leeds - win at all costs, play dirty.

Shudder.

Ok...I am going to bite...what can I say, I am at home and I am bored..... I have highlighted a couple of things for you.

Practically blowing automatic promotion - Doesn't make sense, we didnt get automatic promotion so I guess that was "blown" but, did we get promoted, yes or no, simple question, so did he "blow promotion"?

Scraped into the play offs.....? - We finished 10 points clear of 7th place, 10 points..!! I cant be bothered to look it up but I bet we were hardly out of the promotion places all season were we?

Win at all costs - As opposed to what...? its the name of the game, winning.

Worst manager...? He is the best manager we have had since Jim Smith.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wasnt a large chunk of the £25m spent due to mitigating circumstances?

We were after Butterfield or Dale Stephens before either injury occurred on the opening day. 

We signed Bradley Johnson because we’d heard he was available, not because we had any great plan for him. He didn’t fit the system, he pushed Hendrick down the pecking order and pretty much signalled Dawkins had no chance. 

No debate on Docherty as number one. Agreed on the likes of Colim Murphy, Addison and John Newman - it's amazing to think that people with next to no experience got given the manager's job with what then was a club that had won the league twice in the last few seasons. Amazing!

Peter Taylor was awful as a manager also.

Hello all, first post.

While not disagreeing about Docherty being our worst ever manager, I do feel that there are some rose-tinted specs about where we when he took over.  We certainly weren't title contenders. In 76-77, we finished 15th, three points above the relegation places.  We won only 9 games all season - the lowest in the division (all at home).  The great Clough/Mackay team had got old and changes were definitely needed when Docherty took over in September 1977.  Unfortunately he made all the wrong changes....

In more recent times, Brown was probably the worst for me.  As somebody mentioned, he played Idiakez largely out of position.  He also signed Paul Thirlwell, who is often derided as one of our worst ever players.  Yet he was hardly helped by Brown, who played him where Idiakez should have played and vice versa.

Discounting the Doc John Gregory self combusted and Nigel Pearson was expunged.

We've had our share of bad managers but remember our best have been absolutely brilliant.

Tim Ward signed Kevin Hector

Dave Mackay persuaded both Francis Lee and Charlie George to play for us and win a league title.

Jim Smith, Frank Lampard, Steve McClaren.

Oh, nearly forgot Brian Clough and Peter Taylor.

Plenty of good and great managers. Handful of poor to awful ones.

And that's just in my time supporting them!

Who knows what lies ahead?

Things were starting to go wrong long before the doc arrived.

We were heading into financial trouble and basically couldn't afford to replace the megastars we had with players of similar callibre.

Hinton was gone. Davies and o'hare were both sold under mackay. Charlie george was injured. Lee retired. We were left with just hector and leighton James up front. Rioch was sold by murphy. Newton was injured. We only had daly and gemmill left in midfield. down the road OBE was managing to win the league and get to the european cup final with a back four that included larry llloyd £50k, kenny burns £150k and frank bloody clarke! We'd still got nish, mcfarland and todd, but nish and mcfarland were injured. Dave Langan was a great discovery. mackay was already preferring graham moseley in goal to colin boulton.

basically we had half a team and no money by the time the doc arrived. The disaster unfolded but it was a tougher job than some people care to remember.

phil brown i couldn't stand - with his orange face, pink cardigan and big sam bull. Jewell made some decent signings - hulse, commons, green but he lost the plot more often than inspector clouseau. 

10 hours ago, cannable said:

Spent £25,000,000, when that was still a colossal amount of money, on a team that hadn’t been promoted due to mitigating circumstances rather than quality issues and managed to make it worse. 

In mitigation,  was it not the case that of his spend, £4m was Butterfield who was only purchased because Hughes did his ACL in the first game. And wasn't another lump Bradley Johnson who I thought was Mel's impulse buy?

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

In mitigation,  was it not the case that of his spend, £4m was Butterfield who was only purchased because Hughes did his ACL in the first game. And wasn't another lump Bradley Johnson who I thought was Mel's impulse buy?

We were trying for Butterfield and Dale Stephens before the season started. 

Butterfield was subsequently revealed to be £5m rising to £6m!

Clement had final refusal on BJ. Not sure what to think. You’re being offered 3rd place from the previous season’s player of the season but you’ve done no scouting or have any inclination where he’ll play. What d’you do? 

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Things were starting to go wrong long before the doc arrived.

We were heading into financial trouble and basically couldn't afford to replace the megastars we had with players of similar callibre.

Hinton was gone. Davies and o'hare were both sold under mackay. Charlie george was injured. Lee retired. We were left with just hector and leighton James up front. Rioch was sold by murphy. Newton was injured. We only had daly and gemmill left in midfield. down the road OBE was managing to win the league and get to the european cup final with a back four that included larry llloyd £50k, kenny burns £150k and frank bloody clarke! We'd still got nish, mcfarland and todd, but nish and mcfarland were injured. Dave Langan was a great discovery. mackay was already preferring graham moseley in goal to colin boulton.

basically we had half a team and no money by the time the doc arrived. The disaster unfolded but it was a tougher job than some people care to remember.

phil brown i couldn't stand - with his orange face, pink cardigan and big sam bull. Jewell made some decent signings - hulse, commons, green but he lost the plot more often than inspector clouseau. 

This is all fair, the rot had begun, but Docherty more than accelerated it.

For me in my lifetime Pearson... I absolutely detested the time we had him as manager, Jewell and Brown were awful too. Unfortunately I only really became a fan in 97-98, best is obviously the bald eagle but I really liked Clough steadied a ship that could quite easily have sunk.

Archived