Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, mr_rams said:

Apparently another meetings next week for EFL clubs so I think season is over anyway

Looks like, judging by the following joint statement issued by the Premier League, EFL and PFA they achieved a lot in yesterday's meeting:

The Premier League, EFL and PFA met today and discussed the growing seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It was stressed that the thoughts of all three organisations continue to be with everyone affected by the virus.

The Premier League, EFL and PFA agreed that difficult decisions will have to be taken in order to mitigate the economic impact of the current suspension of professional football in England and agreed to work together to arrive at shared solutions.

The leagues will not recommence until 30 April at the earliest. They will only do so when it is safe and conditions allow.

Further meetings will take place next week with a view to formulating a joint plan to deal with the difficult circumstances facing the leagues, their clubs, players, staff and fans.

Definitely a worthwhile meeting then.

In other news, bears are not concerned about the current toilet roll shortage.

51 minutes ago, steve bloomer said:

From what I have heard this lockdown measure could last up to a minimum of a further six months yet.

Although the EFL and the PL are considering as a majority of clubs want this season to end behind closed doors.

Likely outcome is stay at home folks and watch the last few games of the season on sky sports and quest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52070969

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18342055.efl-set-strict-conditions-games-will-resume/

Yes, I think we're down to 2 options now. 

The first option being to complete the season behind closed doors, as the criteria for competitors is likely to be relaxed before that of fans. 

The second option being the cancelling of the season, as had been done in the lower leagues. 

So, I think it'll be months before we're likely to be able to go to Pride Park again. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Playing behind closed doors is all well and good, but how would the players do the 2m distance thingy? Maybe our defence has been doing that for a while , especially for corners.

Yep it's been diagnosed as Corner Virus. The coaching staff are working tirelessly on finding an antidote to this.

I think the reality dawning on us all is that we’re in for at least another 6 weeks of lockdown and then many more months afterwards where life is not going to go back to anything like ‘normal’.

The elephant in the room, what the EFL and the Prem League don’t seem to want to acknowledge, is that there is no other option but to declare this season null and void.

Please hear my words: no other option.

Look elsewhere, Euros moved to next year, Olympics moved to next year, Glastonbury cancelled.

My wife’s friend has just text to say that around 20 refrigeration trucks have just arrived in a field next to where she lives (Devon). This begins to show the scale of what’s coming in a week or so.

So, let’s forget this season, it’s over. There is no other option but to declare it done. Bad news for Liverpool and Leeds, better news for Luton and Norwich.

At this rate, it is highly unlikely that next season will start on time, let alone finishing this.

Mark my words folks, up the Rams!

35 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I think the reality dawning on us all is that we’re in for at least another 6 weeks of lockdown and then many more months afterwards where life is not going to go back to anything like ‘normal’.

The elephant in the room, what the EFL and the Prem League don’t seem to want to acknowledge, is that there is no other option but to declare this season null and void.

Look elsewhere, Euros moved to next year, Olympics moved to next year, Glastonbury cancelled.

My wife’s friend has just text to say that around 20 refrigeration trucks have just arrived in a field next to where she lives (Devon). This begins to show the scale of what’s coming in a week or so.

So, let’s forget this season, it’s over. There is no other option but to declare it done. Bad news for Liverpool and Leeds, better news for Luton and Norwich.

At this rate, it is highly unlikely that next season will start on time, let alone finishing this.

Completely disagree.

Finish this season even if its 4 to 6 months away.

Small break, then straight into next season. Forget the League Cup, forget International friendly weekends, forget FA Cup replays and yes teams may be playing Sat/Tue constantly but so what. The only people who will moan is players.

Scrap transfer windows as league's globally will all differ.

I think its essential the current season finishes.

steve bloomer
2 hours ago, ram59 said:

So, I think it'll be months before we're likely to be able to go to Pride Park again. 

I have elderly relatives who are self-isolating for next few months and told me this is going to change our lives far from being normal in the meantime.

If it is to be many months, especially on lockdown, a lot of clubs are going to be close to going to the wall because of financial losses, etc.

1 hour ago, Birdyabroad said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you are proved to be correct but, you can't really use the events you have listed as a precedent. 

I cant see a realistic option other than null and void season. Players cannot just "resume" in 6 weeks or whatever period elapses. Fitness levels will inevitably drop, a proportion of players may get the virus and need some recuperation. These are assets worth up to £80-100 million in the EPL, not sur any clubs will want to risk this. What if there are no games (possible) till say July? Wll they need several weeks of "pre-season" . If the season resumes that late how will it affect next season and then Euros 2021?

I reluctantly agree with Birdy, I just cannot see how this will get sorted in the time frames available. The only question which could legitimately be asked is do Liverpool get the trophy anyway by virtue of the massive gap??

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Completely disagree.

Finish this season even if its 4 to 6 months away.

Small break, then straight into next season. Forget the League Cup, forget International friendly weekends, forget FA Cup replays and yes teams may be playing Sat/Tue constantly but so what. The only people who will moan is players.

Scrap transfer windows as league's globally will all differ.

I think its essential the current season finishes.

What you are proposing is a fantasy I’m afraid.

How can you finish a season 4 to 6 months down the road?

Think of contractual and commercial issues involved with your suggestion, I.e., what about players whose contracts have expired or who have pre-signed with other clubs (Such as our new Dutch defender).

What about teams, many of which, will have new commercial and sponsorship deals - Do they play in this years kit or next years kit?

The reality is that the season HAS to end by June at the very latest and I just can’t see how the fixtures get played; Nothing will be returning to ‘normal’ for anytime soon.

The important thing now, I would argue, is to protect the 2020/21 season and make sure this is intact. The reason is simple, the football teams/leagues are going to DESPERATELY need money when we start to return to normality.

The integrity of next season MUST be preserved to encourage people to buy new season tickets, attend games, buy new replica kits, sign-up to TV deals, etc.

The EFL and PL will soon realise (I suspect they have already) that this season is a write-off and every piece of energy now needs to be put in place to ensure next season’s competitions go ahead as near as planned.

You may disagree, but I’ll wager I’m right and you are wrong.

43 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Award the trophy to Liverpool NOW and be done wi' it!

Even the most hardened Everton or Man U fan can't begrudge them that surely??

It's not just that, because quite simply they should win it, but you then face the questions about relegation and promotion. If you cancel the league then everyone has to start again, where they started. The teams chasing promotion to the Premier League are about to miss out on a huge, huge, HUGE payday because of this virus. I have no doubts about it. They will void this league season within the next 6 weeks. It makes no odds to us, really. 

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's not just that, because quite simply they should win it, but you then face the questions about relegation and promotion. If you cancel the league then everyone has to start again, where they started. The teams chasing promotion to the Premier League are about to miss out on a huge, huge, HUGE payday because of this virus. I have no doubts about it. They will void this league season within the next 6 weeks. It makes no odds to us, really. 

Agree if you award Liverpool the title based on their current (although not technically mathematical position ) then you HAVE to do the same for all other positions and that is just not going to happen.

Do you aware Preston a play off spot when they are in awful form? There is a very good chance that we will finish above Preston on current form, although not in the top 6 of course, its just never going to happen.

It does make no odds to us however I am sure if Derby were 20 points clear at the top of the championship my view would be different but we aren't and yes its double standards but it would still be right to null and void even if I wasn't happy about it.

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

Award the trophy to Liverpool NOW and be done wi' it!

Even the most hardened Everton or Man U fan can't begrudge them that surely??

Agreed but that only solves one of the issues. There is far more at stake than just who wins the Premier League. 

Ambitious

"Agree if you award Liverpool the title based on their current (although not technically mathematical position ) then you HAVE to do the same for all other positions and that is just not going to happen."

But no you don't HAVE to. This is the one outcome that has no impact on another team. No one gets relegated or promoted no mater who or how the Premier League is won. Overall I am on the side of having to declare the whole shebang null and void BUT if you have to award any trophy (and much as I do not like the scousers) we all knew they would have won it anyway.

3 hours ago, mozza said:

gobbin' on the pitch (or anywhere else) needs to be a bookable offence. Disgusting habit footballers have. 

And totally uncalled for, in any sport, if spitting was a bodily requirement then how come basketball players aren't covering their courts in gob?

6 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

What you are proposing is a fantasy I’m afraid.

How can you finish a season 4 to 6 months down the road?

Think of contractual and commercial issues involved with your suggestion, I.e., what about players whose contracts have expired or who have pre-signed with other clubs (Such as our new Dutch defender).

What about teams, many of which, will have new commercial and sponsorship deals - Do they play in this years kit or next years kit?

The reality is that the season HAS to end by June at the very latest and I just can’t see how the fixtures get played; Nothing will be returning to ‘normal’ for anytime soon.

The important thing now, I would argue, is to protect the 2020/21 season and make sure this is intact. The reason is simple, the football teams/leagues are going to DESPERATELY need money when we start to return to normality.

The integrity of next season MUST be preserved to encourage people to buy new season tickets, attend games, buy new replica kits, sign-up to TV deals, etc.

The EFL and PL will soon realise (I suspect they have already) that this season is a write-off and every piece of energy now needs to be put in place to ensure next season’s competitions go ahead as near as planned.

You may disagree, but I’ll wager I’m right and you are wrong.

I won't wager more than a `I was right/I was wrong' because gambling is a mugs game.

In response to some of your points;

Firstly I believe anything other than a finished season will lead to legal case after legal case for loss of earnings. Force Majeure won't work if a plausible solution is laid down. Too many clubs will stand to lose too much money.

Secondly you talk about teams desperately needing money but then suggest moving straight into next season thus ignoring the remaining games in the calendar for this season? If fans are allowed in June/July, those games will raise money and at worst, generate money through TV related streams. If there are no games until August teams will go bust. If any team goes under the integrity of this season is impacted. Every player should be agreeing a wage cap currently and the PL/EFL should be supporting all teams who need help.

Thirdly, every post I've read online or in social media from players is a collective desire to finish the season. If there is a will there is a way.

Fourthly I dont think it's difficult to extend contracts and so on. I think that's minor in the grand scheme of things.

Where I agree is that we need to have a plan by June for how it works and ideally games being played by early July (with or without fans) but also understand the whole world currently scares the poo out of me and the above is an optimistic viewpoint.

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

I think that if this season is cancelled, the rest of the Premier league could still unanimously vote to award Liverpool the title. They would have a little asterisk next to their name on the trophy. 

We can’t cancel the season. It would wipe out Louie Sibley’s debut goal. 

Archived