Matches suspended

atherstoneram

This situation will get a lot worse before we start seeing any sort of returning to life as we knew it pre covid-19.

As much as the PL/EFL will want matches to be played behind close doors, football,sport in general will be way down the governments list of priorities and won't allow a restart. When the government get covid-19 "under control" by the use of lockdown measures it won't be lifted anytime soon after that, the measures could remain in place for months

I don't think we will be in a position to start next season on time never mind trying to finish this season and unfortunately some clubs will go to the wall, that may well include championship clubs as well as league 1 

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my opinion.

The season will most probably be cancelled. Birdyabroad is absolutely right, we are about to go through 3 very challenging months, longer if the public don't follow rules being set out.

The season cannot be played behind closed doors, you would need security manning gates, doctors incase players get sick, 2 metre rules as set out by the government etc, it just isn't possible and damn right selfish if this was even considered given what is happening in the world...club physios/doctors etc would be  better spent volunteering for the NHS.

If money wasnt the deciding factor, it would be  best to right off the season, push back the start of next season to September, with the transfer window closing end of September. Scrap the Carabao cup, Relax FFP rules for the next 3 seasons to allow clubs to recover, but put a cap on money that can be spent on players to stop Man City just buying the Premier League title and hopefully we might be in a position where players can start returning to preseason around mid to end of July.

Also it would be nice of the EFL and Premier League (and Sky/BT/Amazon), could all come together and agree a rescue package to help the clubs in the lower leagues stave off extinction. There is a LOT of money in football, it is time for the fat cats to help the kittens.

Sith Happens
20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Just my opinion.

The season will most probably be cancelled. Birdyabroad is absolutely right, we are about to go through 3 very challenging months, longer if the public don't follow rules being set out.

The season cannot be played behind closed doors, you would need security manning gates, doctors incase players get sick, 2 metre rules as set out by the government etc, it just isn't possible and damn right selfish if this was even considered given what is happening in the world...club physios/doctors etc would be  better spent volunteering for the NHS.

If money wasnt the deciding factor, it would be  best to right off the season, push back the start of next season to September, with the transfer window closing end of September. Scrap the Carabao cup, Relax FFP rules for the next 3 seasons to allow clubs to recover, but put a cap on money that can be spent on players to stop Man City just buying the Premier League title and hopefully we might be in a position where players can start returning to preseason around mid to end of July.

Also it would be nice of the EFL and Premier League (and Sky/BT/Amazon), could all come together and agree a rescue package to help the clubs in the lower leagues stave off extinction. There is a LOT of money in football, it is time for the fat cats to help the kittens.

I think money is going to be the issue here. If the season is written off isn't there already noises that those teams in the top 6 on the championship will mount a legal challenge?

Will be interesting to see if they do scrap it how they handle european qualification. It wont happen but for me i would say concentrate on the domestic seasons next year and just dont bother with the european ones...

Too much money though so wont happen.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think money is going to be the issue here. If the season is written off isn't there already noises that those teams in the top 6 on the championship will mount a legal challenge?

Will be interesting to see if they do scrap it how they handle european qualification. It wont happen but for me i would say concentrate on the domestic seasons next year and just dont bother with the european ones...

Indeed there is especially in PL, I read that PL clubs stand to loose 750M in TV money if season cannot be completed. For teams in CL it is even more. Given that there is no euros or olympics i would not be surprised to see football played in July. There isn't much else on of signifcance planned for the summer, the leagues and TV companies money men will know that for sure. There might be contractual issues but if all players contract were amended to be extended for a few weeks it could happen

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Indeed there is especially in PL, I read that PL clubs stand to loose 750M in TV money if season cannot be completed. For teams in CL it is even more. Given that there is no euros or olympics i would not be surprised to see football played in July. There isn't much else on of signifcance planned for the summer, the leagues and TV companies money men will know that for sure. There might be contractual issues but if all players contract were amended to be extended for a few weeks it could happen

That seems to be the noise coming out of FIFA.

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I have read articles saying clubs and even Sky could look to sue if the season is cancelled.

I say that any club or company that look to gain financially out of this terrible situation, I say they should be shamed and banned from football.

Sky especially who are filthy rich as it is.

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Fourthly I dont think it's difficult to extend contracts and so on. I think that's minor in the grand scheme of things.

How long do they have their contracts extended for?, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, And games played behind closed doors, Or until the whole Covid-19 has been completely eradicated, No doubt Premier League clubs could afford this, There could be some in the EFL who are willing to do this, League 1 and League 2 i'd suspect would say we're skint our pockets are empty.

If and it's a BIG IF the Premier League will have to bail the whole of the EFL Leagues to keep football going as this where football begins, The same applies to world football, The Big Clubs must support the smaller clubs.

Scrap all leagues worldwide, Start again when it's safe to do so, All cup games to be scrapped, Internationals stopped until next year.

It's tough on those who are in good positions to be winning their respective divisions, But in sport there's winners and losers that is the nature of sporting events, You can not just have winners.

3 minutes ago, TramRam said:

How long do they have their contracts extended for?, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, And games played behind closed doors, Or until the whole Covid-19 has been completely eradicated, No doubt Premier League clubs could afford this, There could be some in the EFL who are willing to do this, League 1 and League 2 i'd suspect would say we're skint our pockets are empty.

If and it's a BIG IF the Premier League will have to bail the whole of the EFL Leagues to keep football going as this where football begins, The same applies to world football, The Big Clubs must support the smaller clubs.

Scrap all leagues worldwide, Start again when it's safe to do so, All cup games to be scrapped, Internationals stopped until next year.

It's tough on those who are in good positions to be winning their respective divisions, But in sport there's winners and losers that is the nature of sporting events, You can not just have winners.

Football is more business focused nowadays so teams who are in the lower leagues who say they are skint will go into administration as in any other business structure. They will certainly not get a government bailout and i cannot see that other clubs will bail them out unless they buy them as feeder clubs.

People are saying there is money in football and PL clubs could afford to do this but global stock markets are crumbling worldwide so teams may not finish up as rich as people think. Owners who run clubs out of their own pockets may also find returns on their investments depleted for some years to come. I don't see football carrying on in the form as when it was before the virus hit. 

I am not expecting to learn of any professional Football played in UK (indeed Europe) before October at the earliest. Until the NHS is able to function properly again the Government’s priority has to be to do everything to stop this virus spreading (and having a second wave).  Football is wonderful, but it certainly ain’t essential.

47 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

That seems to be the noise coming out of FIFA.

Fortunately, FIFA don't have the right to over-rule UK employment law - contracts could only be extended with the agreement of the club and the player involved - it would lead to chaos if the season runs past 30th June.....

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Fortunately, FIFA don't have the right to over-rule UK employment law - contracts could only be extended with the agreement of the club and the player involved - it would lead to chaos if the season runs past 30th June.....

Of course it wouldn't, the players would be furloughed as is happening in other industries

11 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Of course it wouldn't, the players would be furloughed as is happening in other industries

This is not correct in my view.  Footballers are not on rolling (continuous) contracts like what you see in other industries, and for which furlough provisions have been introduced.  They are effectively self-employed signing ‘short-term’ (time expiry) contracts which do mean typically that extension or termination can only be agreed by all parties to the contract.

9 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I'm not trying to score points here.

If Furloughed after contract then it absolves the club from further payments, If Furloughed now the Government picks up the bill until contract expiers, Then what would you pay them 80% of what.

The contract has a length of time in football, We have a contract until the employer or employee decide otherwise.

This is a minefield that can explode at every step they take in every direction.

29 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

The chaos part refers to the situation where some players are given contract extensions; others aren't (or turn the extension down) and are therefore free agents from 1st July and can legitamately sign for other clubs; and others (such as te Wierik) have already signed pre-contract agreements with new clubs. Trying to continue the season with such uncertainty regarding who can play for who will be chaotic.

If you haven't worked it out, there's a reason that the contracts run until 30th June - and that's because the FA rules state that a season can't run past the end of June. Changing the season end date and FIFA simply stating that all contracts should be extended is fine - until the reality of employment law kicks in and someone challenges what's happening in court - teams could find their squads decimated if they have a lot of players out of contract (and possibly due to FFP) have already budgeted to let them leave so can't affford to keep them on or if the players simply refuse their contract extensions....

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I don't see what legal grounds any club would have to challenge this decision, a global pandemic and the football league is acting upon a government edict to control the spread of said pandemic?

The government is saying people must be working from home if possible and not going to work for non essential jobs so why should footballers be exempt from this directive. 

23 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Playing behind closed doors is all well and good, but how would the players do the 2m distance thingy? Maybe our defence has been doing that for a while , especially for corners.

image.jpeg.644cbd57c50156469b18aab3d0ca33d2.jpeg

Don't scrap this season, just combine it with next season. When football re-starts (which I think won't be before August / September anyway) the 20/21 season starts with the current league positions. Champions league re-starts, based on current league position qualification, all domestic cup competitions abandoned, start again next season. Not going to help the Rams, if EFL impose points penalty, but there may be a mitigation in that FFP will be re-calculated over a longer period....

Archived