v Blackburn Rovers (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like to add my vote for Shinnie. Bogle, Sibley and Martin close runners up for me. Fozzie had me grumbling some discontent but team mates did what they needed to help him out, so I’ll score that a 9 today for our beloved Rams. Just added Bogle, played a blinder

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm 63 years old later in the week but when that goal went in from Louie Sibley I leapt up and screamed like a teenager.

I'd just like to apologise if I woke anybody up around me in West Stand Upper. 

Talking of embarrassing yourself with a goal celebration...

One of my favourite things that has developed over this first season attending with my six year old son is watching and sharing his reactions to a Derby goal. His face when Bogle scored a few weeks ago and today when Sibley scored were moments I’ll always treasure.

It was though a little weird to begin with because instead of leaping up with everyone else you’re sort of celebrating in a seated position cocooned away from a view of the pitch or the rest of the stadium and fans.

And so it came to pass that in the first half Waghorn rounded the keeper and sent a shot unerringly into the net. As we waited for the ball to hit the back of the net the crowd rose but I stayed ‘in the moment’ with the boy in a bubble of delirious joy.

It was quite a shock for both of us when we both stopped cheering to realise there was no goal and Blackburn had the ball and were on the attack up the other end of the pitch. ?

13 hours ago, FolkStar85 said:

Guy behind me slagged Martin off all game! Calling him fatty Martin with his young son joining in. Was appalled when Martin won the man of the match. Martin was brilliant today! Has more goals for Derby than any other player in our squad and maybe apart from a few legends more goals than anyone in the stadium. We are simply a better team when he plays. I think Jack marriott could be a great player but playing 433 Martin is the man. 

Were you in the east stand by any chance? As I have just such father and son behind me and they are a pain in the **** 

My two cents - 

Hamer - 6 - Stopped what he needed to, distribution was ok, but flapped at a few in the second half.

Bogle - 7 - Solid defensively, if not overly tested.  Showed some nice touches and eagerness to get at their left back.

Clarke - 7 - Steady

Widsom - 7 - again steady

Forsyth - 6 - Gave the ball away a fair few times, and crossing was off.  But defensively sound

Bird - 7 - Kept things ticking over and was diligent in his tracking.  Big game for him without the reassuring presence of Rooney next to him.

Shinnie - 8 - Was everywhere, really bossed their midfield.  Passing was also on point.

Sibley - 9 - Terrorised them, especially in the first half.  Struggling to think of a better debut goal than that!!

Knight - 7 - Got great first half but improved decision making in the 2nd half

Waghorn - 7 - So frustrating, ran his socks off, and never shirks his responsibilities for the team, but should've had two goals at least.  But then again, if he could finish the majority of his chances, he'd be playing at a much better standard.

Martin - 9 - It was like the 13/14 season all over again.  The touches, the passes, the vision, the blagging cheap free kicks, the goals.  New contract now!!

All round a very good display and we should've won a couple more.  Whether or not that was due to us being brilliant, or Blackburn being so crap is hard to tell.  Once we'd settled in after 10 minutes we were in complete control, even when the had a bit of pressure in the 2nd half I wasn't particularly concerned.  Although if I'd have listened to it on Radio Derby I'm sure it would've sounded like the apocalypse.

I think if we can go and get a result at Millwall, the corner has well and truly been turned...

14 hours ago, cannable said:

I think this is the first season I can remember us genuinely improving within the confines of one manager and one system. 

The stuff we were trying to do earlier this season is now working. Our Achilles Heel earlier this season was us being too narrow and the full-backs being our only width but it’s now working. Be it Knight’s runs in behind or Lawrence’s upturn in form. 

Energy and desire  ... it boils down to this

one of my gripes earlier in the season was that we had no one running inbehind the front man, no one breaking into the box, basically an isolated striker no matter which it was 

I said we we’re missing a bryson type .. this was my issue 

well... now In knight, sibley, a rejuvenated Lawrence, shinnie we have it in spades and my god we look a different beast.

the quality into Martin subsequently is better .. Cos we’re closer together and he has options and low and behold we look so so much better 

long may it continue 

Took my little cousin for her first game, so she'll now have sky-high expectations going forward ?

It was a great performance. I'm so glad to have a manager who knows how to bring youth through properly. I saw him on the pitch afterwards talking to the players - it looks like he has a great relationship with them. Especially Bird, Knight and Sibley. 

The future is bright and I can't to see where we go with this team. 

Didn’t get a chance yesterday to say what I thought of the game, though I’m sure everything I’m gonna say has already been covered earlier in the thread. To sum it up - wow! What a performance! To beat a quality team like Blackburn, who are above us in the table for good reason, with the ease that we did yesterday is an absolutely phenomenal result. Huge credit to everyone involved. With Rooney missing I thought we’d get a hard fought 1-0 or 2-1 at best, but the young lads really stepped up - especially in that last 15 of the first half - and we thoroughly deserved the convincing scoreline that we won by. 

After a bit of a sleepy start, we totally bossed the game once Sibley burst onto the scene with that strike that even Rooney would have been proud of! Gone were the lax, half arsed passes out the back and the lack of movement that epitomised the poor opening 15 minutes - replaced by a Barcelona esque style of play, at the heart of which was our incredible young midfield. They were simply outstanding! Some of the linkup between them, especially between Bird and Sibley, was a joy to behold. We played some absolutely beautiful football - quick, crisp passing from back to front, with everything centred around the brilliant Chris Martin up front, who held up play superbly and was central to everything good we did going forward - linking up with the younger energetic lads, and winning space for them to drive into, which they duly did to excellent effect. We played the possession game to absolute perfection, creating so many chances going forward owing to our excellent drives forward from midfield and quality passing around the box, as well as limiting Blackburn to chances pretty much solely from crosses and set pieces - much of which was Down to Shinnie who was an absolute monster in CDM. We really could have scored even more goals had we been a bit more clinical, which tells you everything you need to know about how well we played given we won 3-0! 

Ratings for me:

Hamer 8 - I’ve been a critic but he was excellent today, his distribution was so much better

Bogle 8 - Much more like it, more solid in defence and more confident taking men on going forward, caused all sorts of problems with his drives down the wing

Wisdom 7 - Rarely tested in Defence, played the ball out well in general

Clarke 8 - Imperious display, almost never got beat and made some brilliant tackles to cover some of Forsyths mistakes

Forsyth 8 - Despite some early dodgy passes, he grew into an excellent display and played a couple of brilliant passes going forward that deserved more than they got. Solid and rarely beaten in defence too

Shinnie 8 - Absolute defensive mid masterclass. His positioning was absolutely spot on, he snuffed out danger and stopped counterattacks on so many occasions with some brilliant energetic tackles, and did well starting attacks off when he got in possession too.

Bird 8 - Another standard, extremely composed performance by the young man. Was really impressive driving with the ball through the middle third, and as always looked after the ball extremely well in tight areas

Waghorn 7 - Think he was a little tired after quite a lot of football recently, but still worked hard as always both going forward and tracking back, and got in some good positions too.

Sibley 8 - What a debut! An absolute worldie of a goal that gets better every time you see it, and an excellent all round game too. Some brilliant movement with his runs in behind, he carried the ball forward well and pressed superbly too

Knight 7 - Classic combative performance, worked hard to retain possession and found some decent pockets of space

Martin 9 MOM - Wow. That was absolute prime Martin. His hold up play was near faultless, creating space for the young lads to run into, and playing some devastating little flicks after good pieces of close control that Blackburn simply couldn’t handle. Great poachers goal which deserves great credit, and a composed pen too

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

After a bit of a sleepy start, we totally bossed the game once Sibley burst onto the scene with that strike that even Rooney would have been proud of! Gone were the lax, half arsed passes out the back and the lack of movement that epitomised the poor opening 15 minutes - replaced by a Barcelona esque style of play, at the heart of which was our incredible young midfield.

Cocu's comments on the first 10 mins:

“The first 10 minutes we knew Blackburn always start very strong, they have scored a lot of goals early on, so we needed maybe 10 minutes to find a way through, and we did great – from that moment on we had control of the game." 

I agree 110% with your post though, we're playing some beautiful 'ball.

20 minutes ago, Squid said:

Cocu's comments on the first 10 mins:

“The first 10 minutes we knew Blackburn always start very strong, they have scored a lot of goals early on, so we needed maybe 10 minutes to find a way through, and we did great – from that moment on we had control of the game." 

I agree 110% with your post though, we're playing some beautiful 'ball.

He’s right to be fair in that Blackburn looked far stronger in the opening 10 minutes than they did in the following 80 - and that wasn’t solely down to us giving the ball away a little too much. Think the goal from Sibley lifted all our players, and from that moment on we never really looked back. Almost faultless in some of the passages of play we created.

Forgot to rate the subs in my original post so I’ll do that now as they deserve credit too

Whittaker 6 - Played one amazing pass which deserved a goal

Davies 7 - Brilliant substitute performance, did his job perfectly in dealing with the increasingly dangerous aerial threat

Marriott 6 - Better than recent appearances, got on the ball more often and played some nice passes

Did anyone else completely forget about the fact Stuart Downing was playing for them???  Didn't really pay attention to the lineups and didn't even here his name mentioned until around the hour mark, when he took a poo free kick.  And folk say we're tops when it comes to wasting money on over the hill tat...

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Did anyone else completely forget about the fact Stuart Downing was playing for them???  Didn't really pay attention to the lineups and didn't even here his name mentioned until around the hour mark, when he took a poo free kick.  And folk say we're tops when it comes to wasting money on over the hill tat...

To be fair, I know he was pretty much anonymous yesterday but according to Blackburn season ticket holders I know, he's been a decent signing for them. They were however underwhelmed when he initially signed but he has been instrumental in their rise up the table. Suppose it's another sign of how well we played yesterday by negating his effectiveness. 

Pinched from the Blackburn forum.

Brereton - Joke of a performance. Halfarsed, braindead, pitiful. At one point he “challenged” for a header... I swear if his shorts had had pockets his hands would’ve been in them. Waste of space, shouldn’t play again. He is a hindrance to the team. A zero out of 10 performance as I can’t think of a single good thing he did.

..........................couldn’t of put it better myself?

Archived