v Blackburn Rovers (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Sith Happens

Loved it today. Sibley is going to be some player. How good was it with bird, knight, sibley, bogle on the pitch...

And Chris Martin,  love the guy comeon Derby sort his contract out please. 

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy behind me slagged Martin off all game! Calling him fatty Martin with his young son joining in. Was appalled when Martin won the man of the match. Martin was brilliant today! Has more goals for Derby than any other player in our squad and maybe apart from a few legends more goals than anyone in the stadium. We are simply a better team when he plays. I think Jack marriott could be a great player but playing 433 Martin is the man. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Did Cocu say anything about Rooney

He said contrary to rumours that Rooney had offered him outside after the man utd game he has just a minor muscle issue and should be fit for next week 

That was a pleasure to watch, Keep hold of the ball, Make space, Move into it and move forward, Waghorn should have had 2, We could and should have been out of sight by HT.

Shinnie and Martin deserve their plaudits, But for me Bird was better, He plays such a simple game, Get the ball and move it forward, Get your body in front of the ball and defend the defenders, It is not easy to do at that age but he's done it a good few times now.

Blackburn were poor, We made them poor, Our possession game they couldn't handle, If they chased and harried then spaces would be exploited, Cocu seems to be getting his message across...keep hold of the ball.

I hope Martin gets another contract, He's much suited to our play when he's on the pitch, His pace of which I dont think he ever had was lacking, But his brain isn't, Is that 10 goals now?.

Defence(Hamer not included in this)did their job, Clarke with one cracking stop in the 2nd half with his body while on the floor.

Sibley, Cracking goal young man.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Really weird half that. Was getting quite irate before the goal as some of the more senior players, especially Forsyth, were playing half asleep and constantly gifting possession away. It was all a bit flat and lethargic and certain players looked like they couldn’t be arsed to move at times. But we always looked a threat from the youngsters in midfield who have been absolutely immense, and once we scored the first we really turned up the heat. Some absolutely beautiful football at times, and based on the quality of the chances we’ve had, we deserve our 2-0 lead. Special praise to Sibley and Bird who have simply been magnificent and have linked up so so well. Real credit to Martin as well who has battled really hard and won a lot of space for the energetic lads around him to use, which they have done with excellent effect. Just need to remain clocked on defensively second half and not do anything stupid now. We really need to hold onto these three points. COYR

Re that bold part... I'd never ever claim to be alert or knowledgeable enough to actually disagree  with you per sé, but from my seat half way up the NE corner, that really wasn't what I was seeing at all.  I wasn't seeing perfection of course, but I was seeing calm, composure and endeavour.  I was seeing promise, potential, and realistic hope.
As "surprising" as Sibley's goal was, it was coming.  It was nothing short of what was deserved.  I saw the Derby County TEAM taking charge of a game, even before we scored.

I guess that's what termed "a different perspective"?  

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

He said contrary to rumours that Rooney had offered him outside after the man utd game he has just a minor muscle issue and should be fit for next week 

Mel threatened him with the sack unless he said that , think about it , it’s obvious ?

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Cracking day. Solid performance. Unreal strike from Sibley. Every Chris Martin goal is a bonus.

There was also a meeting of minds between @David and me. Bless him, he was wearing his hat all day to stop me taking the piss out of his baldness.

Play Offs?

Taking the piss out of a genetic condition is officially bigotry. Shame on you!

Yours, Balding Coconut.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Re that bold part... I'd never ever claim to be alert or knowledgeable enough to actually disagree  with you per sé, but from my seat half way up the NE corner, that really wasn't what I was seeing at all.  I wasn't seeing perfection of course, but I was seeing calm, composure and endeavour.  I was seeing promise, potential, and realistic hope.
As "surprising" as Sibley's goal was, it was coming.  It was nothing short of what was deserved.  I saw the Derby County TEAM taking charge of a game, even before we scored.

Yea but your not a qualified manager

13 minutes ago, biellaram said:

......beggars belief..

After the performance of the season, where we played without key players and replaced them with young lads from the academy, you have to start off with that anti Cocu comments? An opinion is one thing, but this seems like an agenda. 

Since Mac, Cocu is the only manager to revitalise the amazing Chris Martin and incorporate him back into the team. He’s coaching the players to be better.

Bogle’s performance levels have dipped but he’s not playing with our no 1 centre half for the last few years and we need CH reinforcements.

So seriously, what has he got to do to win you over?

I am just being consistent.

Compare the first half of the season (26 points from 23 games v 25 points from 14 games) to now and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

Similarly home form (10 wins and 37 points from 19) versus the away form (10 losses and just 14 points from 18) and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

My post was more about Chris Martin. But for what it’s worth, Cocu doesn’t have to do very much to win me over.

We have nine games left. Let’s see a consistent line up from week to week where possible. Let’s see some improvement away from home, not the 3-4 defeats from 5 we might reasonably expect given our overall form. And let’s see us really take the game to teams because we are capable. The last two games show that.

The cherry on the cake would be us giving strong performances against Forest, Leeds and Brentford when they come to PP irrespective of the result, so we can go into the summer feeling positive.

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Fair play, as I say I think we always looked threatening going forward, it was more some of the lax passes from players like Forsyth and Wisdom at the back that I was talking about. Obviously in the end we bossed it, and deserved our 3-0 victory at the very least, so it doesn’t really matter a jot now!

steve bloomer

Cracking result today against a mid table Blackburn side. Now let's see if we can go and win all 9 games left of our season.

Some thoughts...

Hamer – Slightly nervy at times but was mostly solid under the ball and made a brilliant reaction save when unsighted and wrongfooted by a deflection. A really important stop at a point in time where Blackburn were threatening to rally.

Bogle – Has threatened a return to top form in recent games and delivered it in style today. Imperious in defence and threatening in attack. On most other days, that would be a MOTM performance.

Wisdom – Back from illness and boy, what a shift he put in. This lad is playing his best football in years.

Clarke – Rested against United and returned fresh with a dominant performance.  Looks more and more accomplished with every game.

Forsyth – Typically strong in defence but a tad wasteful with the ball. He’ll say himself he’s had better games but played his part in ensuring we not only won, but did so with a clean sheet.

Bird – Kid’s a Rolls Royce. I’ve literally run out of hyperbole to describe how calm and cultured he is on the ball, even without Rooney at his side. Future Derby skipper, future England international. Nuff said.

Shinnie – Has come in for a bit of flak recently but having played so little football, he’s been entitled to look rusty. Today he was an absolute machine. I enjoyed some of his tackles as much as the goals. Huge respect as he’s had to wait for his chances. Man of the Match for me on a day where half a dozen had a shout.

Knight – Another young lad with a huge future. Had to wait for his chance after he was rested for a few games by Cocu but clearly wasn’t bothered by it and he’s another whose improvement is exponential. No doubt at all for me that Jason can play at a higher level than the Championship.

Sibley – The name that was on everybody’s lips early season, he’s had to work hard, be patient and wait for his chance. Suffice to say, he’s taken it in spectacular fashion. This kid’s got the lot and any initial worries I had over his temperament have long since evaporated. And that goal!!! Another who already has premiership quality written all over him.

Waghorn – A typically honest day’s work from Waggy. Should probably have had a goal himself and came so close with probably his hardest chance, but this guy has an unbelievable amount of heart and an engine to match. 

Martin – Seems unreal to me that given his illness, he can turn in performance after performance of the highest quality. He is our heartbeat in the final third and has been at the heart of most of our strong performances this year. Sounds daft to say it, but despite needing time between games, he really does look as good as ever. A new contract is a certainty.

Subs – Curtis and Jack on as we looked to close out the game. Curtis subject to a horrible challenge from Buckley who immediately saw the red card he deserved. Jack not given too much time to strut his stuff but did in fairness put in a wonderful, slide rule pass to put Jason Knight in on goal.

The Manager – Folk have written off Cocu at various points this season and I concede that his team selections in the Cup games will have upset a few. That’s understandable. What’s no longer in dispute, surely, is the quality of football his team is producing, the improvement in so many of the players under him and astounding development of our young’uns. Some of the football we are currently playing is nothing short of sublime and with a couple more of his own players and a decent pre-season, who knows what he can achieve.

Personally, I don’t think he’s given up on the play-offs as yet and while it is still a long shot, what’s certain is that nobody is going to want to play us right now. It’s not just the results we are delivering, but even more so the style in which we are doing it, that will ensure that all those top half teams who still have to play us should be more worried than we are.

We’ve nothing to lose now, in my mind at least and if the bad results were down to Cocu, then on a day where Rooney sat out the game, all the kudos must surely go to him, Chris and Twan. Total football has come to Derby folks and long may it last.

COYR

26 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah its crap, i only buy a pass if there is an offer on. They have one at the moment 3 months for 20 a month so at least worth seeing if you can get that.

I'm on the same offer until late April.  Had a two month @£20 each before that.  Wouldn't pay full whack, with or without red button.

My 2p...

Sibley was outstanding in the first half. Why aren’t we singing ‘Sibley the best’ yet... ?

Martin was Martin. Clever player. Very clever. 

Wags should have had 2 but did ok

Clarke was great 

Hamer did quite well I’d a bit weird to punch it out (although that resulted in an attack)

Bogle getting grief off the other players first half but much better in 2nd

Ref was a Bamford. Looked like a nailed on pen when Wags went down but not seen replay yet 

Archived