v Blackburn Rovers (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result and performance that. Didn’t see it coming after 10 mins when we were being penned in and playing a bit slowly, but once Bird, Shinnie and Sibley found a bit of a cohesion we never looked back. 

Not a lot else you can say about Sibley’s goal that won’t have been already said... but wow. What a moment for him and everyone who’s helped him get to this point. One he will never forget, and quite rightly too. 

Only players that weren’t particularly impressive were Hamer and Waghorn for me. Hamer was unnecessarily flappy at times under limited pressure, but he did make a save when we needed it. Waghorn still requires 10 chances to score, and I think he had about 7 or 8 good opportunities to do something today - and that’s while his first touch being about 20 minutes into the game. 

Thought Clarke was absolutely fantastic. Was really composed and did everything he needed to very well indeed. Deserves a mention among everyone else getting credit. 

Just as on Thursday, the pace, energy, commitment and willing is just a joy to watch with these lads and they’re an absolute pleasure to support. We have been crying out for that this season at times and when you’re seeing Knight, Sibley or Bird carrying it forward with purpose it’s brilliant. 

Final mention to Bogle who was much, much better today after a so-so first 25mins. Much more like his old self, and had some confidence to take on his man like we were used to seeing last season. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am just being consistent.

Compare the first half of the season (26 points from 23 games v 25 points from 14 games) to now and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

Similarly home form (10 wins and 37 points from 19) versus the away form (10 losses and just 14 points from 18) and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

My post was more about Chris Martin. But for what it’s worth, Cocu doesn’t have to do very much to win me over.

We have nine games left. Let’s see a consistent line up from week to week where possible. Let’s see some improvement away from home, not the 3-4 defeats from 5 we might reasonably expect given our overall form. And let’s see us really take the game to teams because we are capable. The last two games show that.

The cherry on the cake would be us giving strong performances against Forest, Leeds and Brentford when they come to PP irrespective of the result, so we can go into the summer feeling positive.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a good one and interesting. I know what you mean about consistency....but there’s evolution of opinion too ?.
I know it was about Chris Martin, that’s why I was surprised at the needless dig at Cocu. I don’t buy this consistent line up insistence. Cocu is managing certain situations and, for this season at least, is working with a squad not a first 11. He has reasons that aren’t always broadcast for some selection variations. I’m not led to believe he’s given up on this season, but he’s building for next. 

It’s reasonable to ask for improved away form,  but the next games aren’t easy. If Rooney recovers from his......muscle tear......and is ok then we have some good games coming up. But it’s hard to ask young lads for consistency. 

I’m also proud of his dignity. Imagine next season Martin, Rooney, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Lowe, Bogle, Te Wierik all signed with no transfer fee! Add in Holmes and that’s 9 players for tuppence ha’penny. 

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am just being consistent.

Compare the first half of the season (26 points from 23 games v 25 points from 14 games) to now and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

Similarly home form (10 wins and 37 points from 19) versus the away form (10 losses and just 14 points from 18) and surely it’s normal to be scratching your head.

My post was more about Chris Martin. But for what it’s worth, Cocu doesn’t have to do very much to win me over.

We have nine games left. Let’s see a consistent line up from week to week where possible. Let’s see some improvement away from home, not the 3-4 defeats from 5 we might reasonably expect given our overall form. And let’s see us really take the game to teams because we are capable. The last two games show that.

The cherry on the cake would be us giving strong performances against Forest, Leeds and Brentford when they come to PP irrespective of the result, so we can go into the summer feeling positive.

I’ve posted this before ,I don’t think cocu is a play 11 week in week out manager , I get the impression he wants to coach a squad that’s so well drilled it can mix and match , harder to do but very good long term if you can ,, and to be honest I think we are seeing consistency of performance and style whilst changes made , it’s going to be a culture shock for some who just squeal if their personal fav isn’t in the team one week but hey it’s fun for the forum 

Started a little slowly, and they had two good chances before we scored, but even then there were signs that we could play through them. The longer it went on, the more confident I became that we'd got the beating of them, then bosh, wonder strike, and apart from a spell around the hour, we dominated the game from then on.

The pattern of play, the identity of the team, is growing before our eyes. Keep, it, keep it, draw them in, hit them fast.

Bogle is getting back to his best, but to have Bird, Knight and Sibley all playing well in the same midfield was wonderful to see. Then the experienced lads; Shinnie not far off MoM for me. Martin two goals and at least two wardrobe free-kicks won, Wisdom a captains performance. Hamer tidy and decisive when needed. Waghorn and Fozzy muscular and determined. Brilliant afternoon.

Now, if we could just even the score with Millwall...

Like the American Express advert .. That’ll do nicely sir 

Excellent performance all round. I was more than apprehensive in the first 10/15 mins when we gave them a free man and lots of space on the left .. Bogle, Shinnie and Waghorn all arguing who’s job it was to cover him .. anyway they sorted it out and we settled down .. well if watching guided missiles is how you define settle it down ! 

Fozzy good defensively but so careless with the ball, frustrating 

Waggy .. needs 4 chances to even have a hope of getting on the score sheet but set Sibley up and actually did the right thing going round the keeper to be denied by the post. Penalty would have been harsh as I felt it was 50/50 ..wanted it, might have deserved it but hey you can’t win them all

loved our young guns .. 3 teenagers in midfield out playing an experienced robust opponent .. bliss. Shinnie a ball wining fulcrum and all of them wanting to go forward when possible 

Martin .. deserved MOTM. I reckon this was his best game in a Derby shirt since Mac 1. We saw every plus point of his ability in one game. Wished he’d played Marriott in late on but these are split second decisions. 

Everyone else .. solid as a rock including Hamer .. yes a he flapped at a couple but he also saved a very difficult one low down, that he saw late and was bobbling.

I’d love it if we could get Matt Clarke. For a CB to be that good at his age is remarkable.

I’m just bubbling .. proper passing football along with youth energy and skill ...Oh yes, and  Lawrence, Rooney and Holmes all to come back soon. 

Despite us reaching playoffs in other years, this is the best Derby team since McClaren. Some of the football played today just blew Blackburn away, they were rather fortunate that we only scored 3 in truth.

Bird, Sibley and Knight. That midfield is our future.

Bird is just so good that my limited vocabulary cannot describe him any more. So good. 

Sibley has no fear whatsoever. No matter who he's against, he plays his own game and isn't scared to put himself about. That goal just demonstrates his quality. I still think he'll turn into the best of the three, Cocu seems to have managed him really well.

Knight worked so hard. Did brilliantly for the penalty to get the ball away from the defender. His running in midfield is a vital part of the team.

I cannot talk about us today without mentioning Shinnie, he was utterly brilliant. At times skipping forward through the middle of Blackburn, at times tracking back and making incredible challenges. Took his chance back in the team with both hands. Excellent.

Finally, Chris Martin is something else isn't he? This is my favourite part of Cocu's management, bringing Chrissy Martin back into the fold and bringing him back to his best. Martin has a level of quality above the majority of players at this level, he's supremely intelligent with the ball. He HAS to get a new contract, and he's gotta be one of the first names on the team sheet, illness provided.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Great result and performance that. Didn’t see it coming after 10 mins when we were being penned in and playing a bit slowly, but once Bird, Shinnie and Sibley found a bit of a cohesion we never looked back. 

Not a lot else you can say about Sibley’s goal that won’t have been already said... but wow. What a moment for him and everyone who’s helped him get to this point. One he will never forget, and quite rightly too. 

Only players that weren’t particularly impressive were Hamer and Waghorn for me. Hamer was unnecessarily flappy at times under limited pressure, but he did make a save when we needed it. Waghorn still requires 10 chances to score, and I think he had about 7 or 8 good opportunities to do something today - and that’s while his first touch being about 20 minutes into the game. 

Thought Clarke was absolutely fantastic. Was really composed and did everything he needed to very well indeed. Deserves a mention among everyone else getting credit. 

Just as on Thursday, the pace, energy, commitment and willing is just a joy to watch with these lads and they’re an absolute pleasure to support. We have been crying out for that this season at times and when you’re seeing Knight, Sibley or Bird carrying it forward with purpose it’s brilliant. 

Final mention to Bogle who was much, much better today after a so-so first 25mins. Much more like his old self, and had some confidence to take on his man like we were used to seeing last season. 

Disagree on Waggy - assist and really unlucky on the one he hit the post. Thought he put himself about and won the ball well after the 1st 20. Didn’t think Hamer was that bad either. What more can you want today 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree on Waggy - assist and really unlucky on the one he hit the post. Thought he put himself about and won the ball well after the 1st 20. Didn’t think Hamer was that bad either. What more can you want today 

I mean they were 6 out of 10s, rather than the 7s and 8s of everyone else. Not necessarily bad, just not great.

Waghorn is infuriating because he gets in such wonderful situations but makes a hash of it more often than not. We saw it midweek with the header he missed when he had to score, then today when he went down instead of shooting, hit another 1v1 straight at the keeper and then rounded the keeper and still missed. Would like to watch the first 20 minutes back because everyone round me was commenting he hadn’t touched the ball once. 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Yep , waggy gets the same kind of bad rap off some that Martin gets off others , he worked himself into the ground and was very much vital to the team performance, just like Martin some don’t see what he brings if not scoring 

4 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Thanks for the reply. It’s a good one and interesting. I know what you mean about consistency....but there’s evolution of opinion too ?.
I know it was about Chris Martin, that’s why I was surprised at the needless dig at Cocu. I don’t buy this consistent line up insistence. Cocu is managing certain situations and, for this season at least, is working with a squad not a first 11. He has reasons that aren’t always broadcast for some selection variations. I’m not led to believe he’s given up on this season, but he’s building for next. 

It’s reasonable to ask for improved away form,  but the next games aren’t easy. If Rooney recovers from his......muscle tear......and is ok then we have some good games coming up. But it’s hard to ask young lads for consistency. 

I’m also proud of his dignity. Imagine next season Martin, Rooney, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Lowe, Bogle, Te Wierik all signed with no transfer fee! Add in Holmes and that’s 9 players for tuppence ha’penny. 

To be honest, there has been a change of opinion over time. 

I’ve always maintained that Cocu is a good manager, but is he the right fit for us and our circumstances?

At the start of the season, I was surprised that Cocu was here and hopeful he would have a big impact and prove himself to be above the division.

It was probably only in November or December that I started to lose belief in him and feel disillusioned. So it’s not as though I’ve been against him since day one.

It’s possibly my own fault for expecting too much from him too soon.

But yes, since Charlton at home, there have definitely been some very good signs and the team have been playing much closer to and sometimes even above the level we’d expect.

We have a tough run in and I am not suggesting Cocu has to get us in the top 6 from here. Not at all.

For me, it’s all about seeing signs for next season and not ending the season with a whimper.

Yes, Millwall might win next week, but if they are going to win, let’s make sure they’ve been in a game and they have had to work hard for it. Not having their fans come on here saying it was the easiest 3 points they’ll get all season.

And the same is true of the other 8 games.

Good performance. Shinnie and Bird ran the midfield; surprised that Johnson wasn’t playing for them-looked just what they needed. 

Classic Martin - great hold up play. Superb goal from Sibley.

I thought Clarke and Wisdom were great at centre half and we looked much more solid. Enjoyed watching Forsyth easing their centre forward into the crowd-great strength.

We were wasteful in possession at times, especially Forsyth, but a good professional performance.

Can we do it at Millwall? That will be the test! 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Bit of an aside, but any else noticed we’ve started coming to the ground on a team bus for home games? Was the same on Thursday and today. Wonder why the change. 

It happened quite a few times last season under Lampard.

Archived