Relegation?

Ambitious

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

I disagree somewhat with that bud.

8 points clear with 3 games and 9 point left available is a chasm 

8 points clear with what? 36 points still to win and lose isn’t 

Relegation form for the rest of the season would see us on 56 points - more points than any side has ever been relegated on. To go down we need at least 7 teams to overtake us. Points required from the remaining 11 games to do that:

Reading - 14 points
Hull - 15 points
Charlton - 17 points
Huddersfield - 17 points
Stoke - 18 points
Boro - 19 points
Wigan - 19 points
Barnsley - 22 points
Luton - 23 points

Hull haven't shown they can do that since selling Bowen and Grosicki.
Charlton only managed that points haul over the first 11 games of the season.
Huddersfield, Boro would have to match their season's best 11 game stretch.
Stoke, Wigan would have to go on their season's best 11 game stretch.
Barnsley and Luton would almost have to double their season's best 11 game stretch.

Our worst run of 11 games yielded just 8 points. If we matched that we'd still finish on 53 points. There's just too many teams below us who would have to either see a big upturn in results or continue their promotion challenging form for us to go down.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Relegation form for the rest of the season would see us on 56 points - more points than any side has ever been relegated on. To go down we need at least 7 teams to overtake us. Points required from the remaining 11 games to do that:

Reading - 14 points
Hull - 15 points
Charlton - 17 points
Huddersfield - 17 points
Stoke - 18 points
Boro - 19 points
Wigan - 19 points
Barnsley - 22 points
Luton - 23 points

Hull haven't shown they can do that since selling Bowen and Grosicki.
Charlton only managed that points haul over the first 11 games of the season.
Huddersfield, Boro would have to match their season's best 11 game stretch.
Stoke, Wigan would have to go on their season's best 11 game stretch.
Barnsley and Luton would almost have to double their season's best 11 game stretch.

Our worst run of 11 games yielded just 8 points. If we matched that we'd still finish on 53 points. There's just too many teams below us who would have to either see a big upturn in results or continue their promotion challenging form for us to go down.

This also assumes that none of those teams play and take points from each other.

We're nowhere near a relegation scrap yet without a points deduction.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

That's the elephant in the room though that's seems to be overlooked 

It's because I guess that's a slightly different discussion. The gist of this thread has largely been between those suggesting, based on results and performances, we are slumping into a relegation fight and those who believe we aren't.

When it comes to points deductions, whether we receive one or not is decisive, rather than our form and performances. If we got the full 15 point deduction, that would put us in trouble even if we were in a promotion scrap - a 15 point deduction for Preston in 6th, for example, would leave them 17th and 4 points above the bottom three. They'd stay up, of course, but that's not exactly comfortable breathing space.

59 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I disagree somewhat with that bud.

8 points clear with 3 games and 9 point left available is a chasm 

8 points clear with what? 36 points still to win and lose isn’t 

It is, when the teams below us are below us for a reason. You're relying on them suddenly turning into West Brom and us suddenly turning into them. 

On 27/02/2020 at 02:21, Keepyuppy said:

Couldn’t care less if we got relegated - been there done that - actually really enjoyed it. It impresses the siege mentality within the club, fans and City.

Look at the clubs who have been relegated to 3rd Tier and bounced back and are now in Premiership- bed some have had unbelievable buy outs and funding like Man City, but the others haven't - Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Burnley, Southampton, Palace, Watford, Norwich.  
Not he end of the world !!! 

I'd not say I couldn't care less, I definitely don't want that, but I get what you mean.

The first year in the old 3rd division was the year I went to most games - I think I missed 4 or 5.

We had a whale of a time taking over smaller grounds and hitting local pubs.

I bet fans of teams like Burnley and Bournemouth enjoyed the season they went into the Premier a lot more than they enjoy them now.

With the youngsters coming through and Cocu getting his head around the EFL, I think we're going to be good next season, way too good for the 1st Division and I think too good for the Championship.

I really need to dispense with putting vodka on my cornflakes.

On weekdays anyway.

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

It's because I guess that's a slightly different discussion. The gist of this thread has largely been between those suggesting, based on results and performances, we are slumping into a relegation fight and those who believe we aren't.

When it comes to points deductions, whether we receive one or not is decisive, rather than our form and performances. If we got the full 15 point deduction, that would put us in trouble even if we were in a promotion scrap - a 15 point deduction for Preston in 6th, for example, would leave them 17th and 4 points above the bottom three. They'd stay up, of course, but that's not exactly comfortable breathing space.

You can get up to a 21 point deduction I believe from looking at the EFL site. Not that i think we would as it seems to be expressed as 12 pts plus up to a further 9 if "aggravated" eg if, like birmingham we continued to ignore the charges and spend regardless.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Bang on mate 

we’re Derby county we won’t go down attitude 

8 points, get nothing on Saturday (some of the laughter boys want to give me a £10 bet on that ???) 

and we could be 5 off ? Or will u wake up and smell the coffee ? 

will u still be laughing then ?

were in a fight, it’s a fight we can win with a few wins but as it stands right now I’m worried and I think some of the arrogance of entitlement  amongst some of our fan base stinks 

if u disagree look at the “promotion thread” that was running only 2-3 weeks a go lmfao

Ffs get a grip ,,,arrogance entitlement???,,,, do you not realise that it could be a 20 point deduction,a 2 point deductions, zero point deduction 
perhaps what you see as arrogance and entitlement is just Derby fans who will deal with whatever if and when it does or doesn’t happen and have also seen enough to think cocu is a good long term building manager and are ok with the way things are progressing given Rome wasn’t built in a day

yawn imogi 

6 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Doesnt look like that has anything to do with the ground sale?

Surely the company that purchased the ground from us was not commercially active at the time either?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Ffs get a grip ,,,arrogance entitlement???,,,, do you not realise that it could be a 20 point deduction,a 2 point deductions, zero point deduction 
perhaps what you see as arrogance and entitlement is just Derby fans who will deal with whatever if and when it does or doesn’t happen and have also seen enough to think cocu is a good long term building manager and are ok with the way things are progressing given Rome wasn’t built in a day

yawn imogi 

Rome wasn’t built in a day?? No ducking poo Sherlock...

thanks for spelling that out after 32 of watching Derby I wasn’t aware of that one lmfao

but when I say in my original statement 

“cocu still has a lot to learn about the championship”and it’s greeted with a stupid flippant and inane laughter Emoji with no footballing logic to the response I’m going to challenge it 

He has a lot to learn,

that’s not saying I’m not behind him.

thats not saying I don’t think he can do it 

That’s not saying I don’t think he has been dealt a stupidly rough hand 

it’s saying he has a lot to learn..

which judging by our inept away form and indifferent displays over the season is categorically true 

do you genuinely think he’s taken to this league like a duck to water ????? 

or shall we just happy clap all the way and pretend he has nothing to learn about this league and hope that poor away form is just bad luck and lapses in concentration 

i stand by my original statement 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

It is, when the teams below us are below us for a reason. You're relying on them suddenly turning into West Brom and us suddenly turning into them. 

Is it really that bigger transition in a league where anyone can beat anyone 

In the last 2 weeks alone Wigan have had 2 phenomenal away wins and Barnsley stuck 3 with no reply on the road 

it’s a topsy turvy league

I want nothing more than 3 points tomorrow so we can take on step closer behind getting this wretched season over with 

6 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day?? No ducking poo Sherlock...

thanks for spelling that out after 32 of watching Derby I wasn’t aware of that one lmfao

but when I say in my original statement 

“cocu still has a lot to learn about the championship”and it’s greeted with a stupid flippant and inane laughter Emoji with no footballing logic to the response I’m going to challenge it 

He has a lot to learn,

that’s not saying I’m not behind him.

thats not saying I don’t think he can do it 

That’s not saying I don’t think he has been dealt a stupidly rough hand 

it’s saying he has a lot to learn..

which judging by our inept away form and indifferent displays over the season is categorically true 

do you genuinely think he’s taken to this league like a duck to water ????? 

or shall we just happy clap all the way and pretend he has nothing to learn about this league and hope that poor away form is just bad luck and lapses in concentration 

i stand by my original statement 

Does he really have a lot to learn though Notts? He has an incredible CV in football both playing and management. He has experienced professionals in his team he has no doubt watched hours of championship football. Why do you say he has a lot to learn about the championship? 

The poor away form for me is freakish to some degree in that if we could hit a cows arse with a banjo we would have probably 10 points more than we have. Early on in the season I said t was the players who were letting him down as they couldn't replicate in a match day what they were doing in training. Rooney has improved that situation no end. I am an unashamed happy clapper but I know my football (not saying you don't) and this team is not far off being very good. If we get a game where for a change we get the bounce of the ball we are going to turn a corner.

9 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Does he really have a lot to learn though Notts? He has an incredible CV in football both playing and management. He has experienced professionals in his team he has no doubt watched hours of championship football. Why do you say he has a lot to learn about the championship? 

The poor away form for me is freakish to some degree in that if we could hit a cows arse with a banjo we would have probably 10 points more than we have. Early on in the season I said t was the players who were letting him down as they couldn't replicate in a match day what they were doing in training. Rooney has improved that situation no end. I am an unashamed happy clapper but I know my football (not saying you don't) and this team is not far off being very good. If we get a game where for a change we get the bounce of the ball we are going to turn a corner.

He won 3 titles in a league of 2

the eredevise is basically a slightly more glamorous and sexy Scotland.

U occasionally get a twente, feyanoord or an alkmaar breaking the stranglehold of the big two but they have such a monopoly on youngsters and finances it’s not really an even playing field so while it’s to be recognised and respected I’m genuinely not sure how much weight it carries when addressing Brentford, Hull or charlton away 

similarly though I won’t write him off just Cos of one failed effort in Turkey 

im sure he would say he learned a lot from that experience about himself as much as anything as well as the league itself .

simarly when managing a club in England and the championship there is a lot to learn for anyone, no matter who u are 

be it the players, the club, the league , the opposition, the way we play, the way they play etc etc 

so .. going back to my original statement that started all this 

it’s fair to say, and not out of term 

he has a lot to learn still 

(this may go on my epitaph at this rate lol) 

21 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Is it really that bigger transition in a league where anyone can beat anyone 

In the last 2 weeks alone Wigan have had 2 phenomenal away wins and Barnsley stuck 3 with no reply on the road 

it’s a topsy turvy league

I want nothing more than 3 points tomorrow so we can take on step closer behind getting this wretched season over with 

Of course any time can string a few wins together. But you’re expecting 7 teams to do that over a prolonged period of time. Barnsley would have to win 8 of their remaining 11 games for example. It’s not going to happen. 

A lot of those 9 teams below us play each other.

Reading - Barnsley, Stoke, Luton, Huddersfield, Charlton, Boro
Hull - Stoke, Charlton, Boro, Wigan, Luton
Charlton - Huddersfield, Boro, Hull, Reading, Wigan
Huddersfield - Charlton, Wigan, Reading, Luton
Stoke - Luton, Hull, Reading, Boro, Wigan, Barnsley
Boro - Charlton, Stoke, Hull, Reading
Wigan - Luton, Huddersfield, Stoke, Barnsley, Hull
Barnsley - Reading, Stoke, Luton, Wigan
Luton - Stoke, Wigan, Reading, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Hull

46 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

I applaud your optimism mate and I do agree with some of what u say ... no question about that 

I just think the manager carry’s the can for some of this .. he has to doesn’t he .. in any job, at any football club 

yes there is a catalogue of horrendous circumstances behind this season and the way it’s panned out dating as far back as clement and rush and as far fetched as an out of hand drinking session .. that all is totally recognised from myself 

I just think the championship has taken him a little by surprise, from those first few weeks of pairing up dowell and Huddlestone in conbative championship engine room to the multi rotational centre back trial and error see what comes off 

I don’t blame him, he’s trying to make something work .. I get that 

and as I say it’s a combo of players not stepping up, injuries and car crashes but that’s not to say he doesn’t carry some responsibility and would probably say he has learnt a lot about this league and is still learning 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A lot of those 9 teams below us play each other.

Reading - Barnsley, Stoke, Luton, Huddersfield, Charlton, Boro
Hull - Stoke, Charlton, Boro, Wigan, Luton
Charlton - Huddersfield, Boro, Hull, Reading, Wigan
Huddersfield - Charlton, Wigan, Reading, Luton
Stoke - Luton, Hull, Reading, Boro, Wigan, Barnsley
Boro - Charlton, Stoke, Hull, Reading
Wigan - Luton, Huddersfield, Stoke, Barnsley, Hull
Barnsley - Reading, Stoke, Luton, Wigan
Luton - Stoke, Wigan, Reading, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Hull

Is that good or bad ? I genuinely don’t know

Means someone below us is getting points doesn’t it ?

Archived