Relegation?

Ambitious

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought this up in a previous thread, it’s a possibility with a points deduction and without, we should be ok but only because we have done well at home. I’ve been thinking of any season in this division with a comparable appalling away record. 2012 we achieved 4 wins and 23 points away which is similar. Although this year could end up lower.
Wondering if there has been a worse one season for us on the road.

8 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

And possibility of getting stuck down there for a long time! No thanks !

No Friday night, Saturday 1pm, Sunday dinner games. Yes please 

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I’d love a year in league 1, new grounds and games on a Saturday at 3pm.....yes please 

And people might stay to the end of the match as no rush to get away due to the small crowds. Not sure if thats good or bad ?

I don’t think our points deduction will come this season but if it did I would embrace being in League 1. 

Our squad is in all likelihood going to be smaller, younger and with a lower wage bill next season. Think it would be great seeing a young team develop, winning most weeks etc. Would be a great way of giving even more of our academy players more exposure. I think we would be much more likely to do a Wolves than a Bolton - look at Rotherham this season and think how bad they were when we beat them 6-1 last season. 

But as I said, the points deduction probably won’t be this season and I would back us to finish towards the top end of the Championship next season anyway. 

16 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t think our points deduction will come this season but if it did I would embrace being in League 1. 

Our squad is in all likelihood going to be smaller, younger and with a lower wage bill next season. Think it would be great seeing a young team develop, winning most weeks etc. Would be a great way of giving even more of our academy players more exposure. I think we would be much more likely to do a Wolves than a Bolton - look at Rotherham this season and think how bad they were when we beat them 6-1 last season. 

But as I said, the points deduction probably won’t be this season and I would back us to finish towards the top end of the Championship next season anyway. 

Relish League 1.  You must be joking. 

12 hours ago, JfR said:

Sheffield Wednesday in their EFL case.

Wendies I know tell me they are resigned to getting a points deduction as what they have done is basically fraud.

I’ve no idea if that’s right or just gossip.

I do know that they were receiving revenue from sponsors who were companies set up by the owner that weren’t even trading.

Right now I think we will be all right, but if after playing Wednesday, Blackburn and Millwall we haven't taken any points or have only taken 1 then we will be in trouble and that is without thinking about a points deduction. Imagine if we actually went down without a points deduction, would be the biggest disgrace ever but with how confidence works and the fine margins in this league I wouldn't rule it out completely. In response to the other thread, if go down without a point deduction 100% Cocu would have to go, with a deduction probably not but if the performances are awful and we only picked up a few wins then he could be sacked in that case as well. We aren't bad enough to go down without a deduction I reckon, but with very bad luck you never know, not worth thinking about really.

45 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Wendies I know tell me they are resigned to getting a points deduction as what they have done is basically fraud.

I’ve no idea if that’s right or just gossip.

I do know that they were receiving revenue from sponsors who were companies set up by the owner that weren’t even trading.

They sold their stadium to the owner like we did, but, unlike us who actually did transfer 81 million between 2 companies, Sheff Wednesday made up a fictitious company and pretended the money changed hands, they just said it did in the accounts. Only when it became apparent charges would be bought they then created the fictitious company.  This isn't libellous, it's all in black and white for those wishing to dig.

IF found guilty, I can see them getting a huge deduction, huge fine and people high up in the club being banned from running a football club.

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They sold their stadium to the owner like we did, but, unlike us who actually did transfer 81 million between 2 companies, Sheff Wednesday made up a fictitious company and pretended the money changed hands, they just said it did in the accounts. Only when it became apparent charges would be bought they then created the fictitious company.  This isn't libellous, it's all in black and white for those wishing to dig.

IF found guilty, I can see them getting a huge deduction, huge fine and people high up in the club being banned from running a football club.

Yep, their case and ours are very different. They have been legitimately illegitimate in their indiscretion, we haven't.

Expect the outcome of their hearing to be announced a couple of days before ours, a severe punishment, followed en masse by Derby fans pooping themselves that we're going to get the same dealt to us.

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They also put the stadium sale in the wrong accounts year as well. 

26 minutes ago, rynny said:

They also put the stadium sale in the wrong accounts year as well. 

Based on the dates that's correct. But, based on certain circumstances, it can still be included in the earlier set of accounts. It's a bit like when we sold Ince on the 4th July but the sale was still included in the period ending 30th June 2017.

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Can’t believe some people would welcome league 1!! We may never get out of that league. Sunderland and Portsmouth have been stuck there a while. Notts County are in non league. We could have a decade of that league !! We need to stay up’

I think those that would welcome league one do so on the assumption we'd bounce back within a year (or two max.) The novelty of new grounds might be fun. But, as you have pointed out, there are some clear examples of where this doesn't always happen. 

Relegation would seem a more realistic proposition than promotion at the moment, but I think it unlikely.  Derby have been in that league before in my lifetime but I was too young to be a proper fan at the time.  Bigger clubs than us have had a taste of that league in recent years and there’s no real way of knowing whether we would walk the league or struggle like some others have.

I’m sure there would be quite a lot of pain if we went down; Cocu would probably leave (if we got relegated, can’t see many people bemoaning this, although I do tend to think he will be a success in the long term (although I tend to think this of all managers!)), a lot of players would leave (again probably not the end of the world in most cases - would be good to keep hold of some of the kids though), gates would be down, moaning would be up - if that’s possible... but I’d still be there in a Saturday afternoon moaning alongside the rest, so it would make very little difference to my life (as would promotion).  

31 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Relegation would seem a more realistic proposition than promotion at the moment, but I think it unlikely.  Derby have been in that league before in my lifetime but I was too young to be a proper fan at the time.  Bigger clubs than us have had a taste of that league in recent years and there’s no real way of knowing whether we would walk the league or struggle like some others have.

I’m sure there would be quite a lot of pain if we went down; Cocu would probably leave (if we got relegated, can’t see many people bemoaning this, although I do tend to think he will be a success in the long term (although I tend to think this of all managers!)), a lot of players would leave (again probably not the end of the world in most cases - would be good to keep hold of some of the kids though), gates would be down, moaning would be up - if that’s possible... but I’d still be there in a Saturday afternoon moaning alongside the rest, so it would make very little difference to my life (as would promotion).  

Blimey .

I would be devastated if we got relegated. 

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Blimey .

I would be devastated if we got relegated. 

It’s only football!

In fairness, I should have added that I would obviously be disappointed to be relegated (devastated might be a bit strong), but my main point was that it wouldn’t affect my support or attendance (I’m sure many others would feel the same way). We’d all soon get used to it ?

Archived