Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So this is what prompted you to go whizzing off to the beer thread and attempt to pull me over the coals for ordering beer from Belgium last November. 

I had a Tesco order arrive on Thursday. The order has been unpacked, quarantined and cleaned as appropriate. Could you please tell me which of the following items I should not have ordered because they are putting other people's lives at risk...

• Milk
  • Coffee
  • Minced beef
  • Chicken portions
  • Bleach
  • Tomatoes (chopped and fresh)
  • Cucumber
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Celery
  • Coconut milk
  • Carrots
  • Baby potatoes
  • Savoy cabbage
  • Spinach
  • Eggs
  • Butter
  • Cheese
  • Yoghurt
  • Pasta
  • Flour
  • Rice
  • Toothpaste
  • Washing up liquid
  • Freezer bags
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Kidney beans
  • Oregano
  • Fresh coriander
  • Saffron
  • Cider
  • Beer

Is it the cucumber?

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

Special order BEER ,,, as I say I’m not personally against it but then I’m not shouting from the rooftops about everybody else s selfishness , irresponsibility’s ,bleating about they’re lives and struggles, it’s not about you ( you just happen to be one doing it on here) I’m seeing and hearing this all around me ,,,,,, people really really need to check just how glass they’re own houses are,

ordering beer from Belgium is ok or would it be better not to put people’s lives at risk just for the sake of it?

What about all the other commodities on my order that come from overseas? Are they not putting other people's lives at risk too? What about the Belgian beer that I order from Beers of Europe, whose warehouse is in Kings Lynn? I presume that they must be ok, because I'm not actually ordering them from Belgium but from good old Blighty.

At the moment, I am shielding. That's something that I have been doing for 8 out of the last 10 months. If I felt that there was any chance that my actions of buying things - anything at all, according to you, because I can discern no difference in the risk - were prolonging my house arrest by one second, don't you think that I would desist with immediate effect?

For goodness sake, think before you post.

I think we should pause today to spare a thought for those who have died.

we’ve reached the milestone equivalent to a thousand Hillsborough disasters

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you dont believe that people crossing borders increases the threat?

Also you obviously dont think alcohol is an essential as you want all pubs closed right?

So by extension you must also agree that a delievry driver travelling from Kings Lynn to wherever is a non essential journey?

Careful here Eddie, you're in danger of tieing yourself in knots...

Logistics of such is usually very low risk, as the key driver of infection is people in close contact, which isn't required for deliveries. There is limited evidence of surface transmission being a major driver of transmission. Given that so much of the economy is on its knees over this, having delivery still being viable for businesses is surely something anyone who supported keeping things open early should be supportive of. It's very low risk, but at least keeps something ticking over. 

Speaking of the risks, even at the height of the Victorian second wave, borders closed across the board, freight was travelling across borders. Australia is hopelessly reliant on trucks for such for a myriad of historical reasons, but even having Victorian drivers crossing borders and staying elsewhere, it was linked to no new cases in other states. 

Really, a lot of this is coming across as just randomly sniping at Eddie, and the topic of it seems weirdly stalkerish. 

I am hypocritical based on what's being said on here. For me I want the virus gone, for example I believe that shutting the pubs will go towards doing this. Mainly I believe that people not following the rules is the reason why it's escalated as it has, although not solely.

Grassroots football though is something I'm heavily involved in, when that was allowed before Xmas, I was more than happy to goto the racecourse where hundreds of people were present at the same time. I knew in that environment, that there was a risk of spreading the virus, but was happy to be part of that risk.

For me though, it's about the level of risk, it was outside, kids football, social distance etc...therefore although I'd argue it was within the rules, I'm sure there are many that would say it was still wrong...

9 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I am hypocritical based on what's being said on here. For me I want the virus gone.....

The virus will never be gone. It’s here for good. It’s too widespread and too infectious to disappear.

the covid jab will become an annual thing, same as the flu jab. 

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think you might be mixing up laziness with workers who are easier to exploit.

We live in a country with plenty of well off people, but we still expect people to live in relative poverty to do jobs we deem as unimportant. As a society, we have decided that a nurse in London can barely afford to get by, but a trader who gambles on the stock exchange deserves huge rewards. 

If we get foreign people in, they will be happier to take less money due to the exchange rate in their own country. Over time, the much-maligned immigrant has lived in crowded accommodation and done the low paid jobs, only to get stick that they are "taking all our jobs".

I'm sure the lazy British workers often work longer hours than many other developed nations, usually because we have weaker worker's rights than other places.

Marginally higher than most of Western Europe, but Eastern Europe is quite a bit higher 

image.thumb.png.2e8307a9ed8f75f5a3cead7a58b43462.png

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The virus will never be gone. It’s here for good. It’s too widespread and too infectious to disappear.

the covid jab will become an annual thing, same as the flu jab. 

Possibly and highly likely, I should have reworded it, that I want the restrictions to be gone. Of course someone will probably then say, they will never go, once again I'm talking about restrictions on my day to day life. 

30 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I am hypocritical based on what's being said on here. For me I want the virus gone, for example I believe that shutting the pubs will go towards doing this. Mainly I believe that people not following the rules is the reason why it's escalated as it has, although not solely.

Grassroots football though is something I'm heavily involved in, when that was allowed before Xmas, I was more than happy to goto the racecourse where hundreds of people were present at the same time. I knew in that environment, that there was a risk of spreading the virus, but was happy to be part of that risk.

For me though, it's about the level of risk, it was outside, kids football, social distance etc...therefore although I'd argue it was within the rules, I'm sure there are many that would say it was still wrong...

You won’t find me throwing the first stone billy ,I’m quite aware of my own faults ?

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

You won’t find me throwing the first stone billy ,I’m quite aware of my own faults ?

? it wasn't aimed at anyone really, I do believe that everyone should have their own risk based approach, as long as it's sensible. Golf for example for me, don't see the problem, but that's why I say I'm hypocritical ??

52 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

? it wasn't aimed at anyone really, I do believe that everyone should have their own risk based approach, as long as it's sensible. Golf for example for me, don't see the problem, but that's why I say I'm hypocritical ??

Not really about golf as such it’s just that I’m seeing a lot of people really struggling in lots of ways and then others throwing around insults and accusations without an ounce of self awareness or even the capacity to look inward when perhaps it s appropriate, I don’t include you in that category 

22 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I knew that NZ got it right but did not quite realised how right. In fact, going by how wrong it's gone here and Europe and US, it is nothing short of miraculous. Two numbers, 25 deaths and GDP up 12%, bonkers.

As you may know my daughter is there.  They expect a hit at some stage but they have given away the first vaccinations to the poorer pacific islands.  In all possible meanings I hope they got everything right.  Business wise my daughter is doing great all of us just hates the separation and worry about how long it will last

3 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Took my wife’s nana to get vaccinated at velodrome today. Very slick, well done to everyone involved.

Anyone on this forum part of it?

My sister is one of the nurses doing the vaccinations, and she helped set up the vaccination stations in the weeks before it opened

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

My sister is one of the nurses doing the vaccinations, and she helped set up the vaccination stations in the weeks before it opened

When we could go to games, as i walked past the Velodrome, i  sometimes thought that's not the best way to spend tax payers money. Now i wont be looking at the place the same way, I'll have much more positive outlook about the place, thanks to the effort of people like your sister. Say thanks to her, they are doing a great job. They are our only hope.

Archived