Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I do have to say that my local park has been a lot quieter since the stories in the news about the police fining those two people at Foremark. So it is having the desired affect. People gobbing off about it on social media are just a sideshow

Yep, again people have been too scared and freedoms to even drive a few miles to a large open space have hit us. So sadly really.

I see there's another coronavirus briefing on the BBC at 4:30. I expect it'll the usual format, half an hour of news reports and interviews. Then the actual briefing where we're shown various graphs and charts while being told how hard the government are working. Followed by the person holding the briefing doing their best not to answer any awkward questions from the puplic and media.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yep, again people have been too scared and freedoms to even drive a few miles to a large open space have hit us. So sadly really.

That's one way to look at it, but in a more positive spin, maybe people are starting to understand the differences between essential and non-essential travel and the impact that all has on the spread of this godforsaken virus that we ALL want to be rid of.

We've taken to just walking the dog on the parks we can reaonably reach by foot - and not driving across town to a different park just because we feel like it. I'm not scared to do so - I just understand why it's best for everyone if we all do our bit.

I think this focus on outdoor exercise is a side issue that is being talked about to help distract us away from asking awkward questions about the non-compliance in so many other areas. 

I am fed up of hearing about covid-secure workplaces for example when everyone knows that many employees can give examples of terrible practice from employers that are not acted upon.

Or the many, many examples of people meeting up in homes against the rules. I actually think this will increase if we are prevented from meeting up for exercise outdoors.

Or the appalling behaviour of a significant minority in supermarkets, which many of us still have to rely on to buy food. I've never seen a policeman supporting the poor, beleaguered staff in Sainsbury's! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think this focus on outdoor exercise is a side issue that is being talked about to help distract us away from asking awkward questions about the non-compliance in so many other areas. 

I am fed up of hearing about covid-secure workplaces for example when everyone knows that many employees can give examples of terrible practice from employers that are not acted upon.

Or the many, many examples of people meeting up in homes against the rules. I actually think this will increase if we are prevented from meeting up for exercise outdoors.

Or the appalling behaviour of a significant minority in supermarkets, which many of us still have to rely on to buy food. I've never seen a policeman supporting the poor, beleaguered staff in Sainsbury's! 

Regarding workplaces. Bang on with that one. Covid safe workplaces do not exist.

I do wonder why I see family groups out shopping so much, not kicking off  but in such big numbers. I understand that maybe sometimes its necessary if your a single parent or perhaps getting two shops for someone isolating or need two trolleys if your doing a large shop for a family of five , but sometimes its two adults, two teenagers and a partridge in a pear tree. 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Great points...you are rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters. 

For me, more terrible mismanagement that is being excused under the banner of 'every one doing their bit'.

Let's hammer the masses who are doing things they are told to, instead of targeting the real causes.

I'm all out of patience tbf, Boris demands I send my kids back into a class full of kids for ONE day..then says its reasonably to fine me if I drive 5miles to go for a nice walk with them, rather than tramping around the busy high street or overcrowded park for the hundred time. 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I see there's another coronavirus briefing on the BBC at 4:30. I expect it'll the usual format, half an hour of news reports and interviews. Then the actual briefing where we're shown various graphs and charts while being told how hard the government are working. Followed by the person holding the briefing doing their best not to answer any awkward questions from the puplic and media.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

That's one way to look at it, but in a more positive spin, maybe people are starting to understand the differences between essential and non-essential travel and the impact that all has on the spread of this godforsaken virus that we ALL want to be rid of.

We've taken to just walking the dog on the parks we can reaonably reach by foot - and not driving across town to a different park just because we feel like it. I'm not scared to do so - I just understand why it's best for everyone if we all do our bit.

How is walking your dog in your local park any different to driving across town and walking it in another park?

I thought the virus was being spread in hospitality venues hence them being closed first, oh no then it was private homes so people had to stop seeing each other, forget that actually it is schools that are vectors for spreading the disease, but now they have closed its parks (even though we were previously told its better to be outside as its harder for the disease to spread).

Sooner or later will someone hold their hands up and admit they havent got a clue?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Here's a tip. If you don't get any value from them then don't watch them. As a small snippet there has just been a brief update on exercising. 

I get a lot of value from these briefings. Good to know that Matt Hancock said while exercising I can walk up to 7 miles away from where I live, which funnily is the distance from Downing Street to the Olympic Park.

I'm sure Hancock also stated, I could've misheard, that the government had started ordering a coronavirus vaccine back in February. Could someone remind me, when was the first time Johnson turned up to a Cobra meeting.

Had to laugh at the statment that there will be a fixed or roving vaccination centres within 10 miles of everyone who required an injection. If there roving, you'd think they'd claim the nearest centre would be closer than 10 miles.

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How is walking your dog in your local park any different to driving across town and walking it in another park?

I thought the virus was being spread in hospitality venues hence them being closed first, oh no then it was private homes so people had to stop seeing each other, forget that actually it is schools that are vectors for spreading the disease, but now they have closed its parks (even though we were previously told its better to be outside as its harder for the disease to spread).

Sooner or later will someone hold their hands up and admit they havent got a clue?

Being in close proximity to others increases your chances - and the more people you are in close proximity to and the longer the time you are in their vicinity, the greater the risk.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Being in close proximity to others increases your chances - and the more people you are in close proximity to and the longer the time you are in their vicinity, the greater the risk.

So walking in a park in Derby or in Nottingham is not very likely to have any difference other than if people are walking shoulder to shoulder and coughing on each other?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Clearly the answer to your first point is to prevent crowds from converging on well know sites as we saw in the summer. If you remain local then it's less likely to happen.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Clearly the answer to your first point is to prevent crowds from converging on well know sites as we saw in the summer. If you remain local then it's less likely to happen.

If 100 people from my street went to Elvaston Castle to walk their dog rather than the local park I would guess the better social distancing would be at Elvaston Castle.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Drive across town crash your car making a UNNECESSARY journey ambulance has to come and get you take you to hospital for treatment putting further strain on a already stretched NHS. 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If 100 people from my street went to Elvaston Castle to walk their dog rather than the local park I would guess the better social distancing would be at Elvaston Castle.

Yes but if Elvaston Castle is really nice, I’ve never been, what if hundreds from other streets also decided to descend?

6 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Drive across town crash your car making a UNNECESSARY journey ambulance has to come and get you take you to hospital for treatment putting further strain on a already stretched NHS. 

Yeah but you could stay at home get electrocuted by the toaster and have to go to hospital. 

Id guess there are more accidents in the home that require hospital treatment than from car crashes. 

Archived