Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

I've not read the exact details so I can't be sure, but wasn't the reason for the "fines" based upon the distance travelled and breaking the guidelines the government has issued ? For example, you are not allowed to travel from notts to Derbyshire for exercise ?

As I said, I didn't read up on it, but there must have been some reason for issuing the fine ?

That’s the reason the fines have been withdrawn - because there is no exact definition.

The rules only say local. Imagine living in Shardlow and taking the footpath down the Trent for a walk. You go from Derbyshire to Leicestershire when crossing the river....

17 minutes ago, rammieib said:

That’s the reason the fines have been withdrawn - because there is no exact definition.

The rules only say local. Imagine living in Shardlow and taking the footpath down the Trent for a walk. You go from Derbyshire to Leicestershire when crossing the river....

I think what the head of the Met said is sensible: that local excerise should mean starting & finishing at home (so Boris going for a bike ride around London is OK)

Walking, cycling etc & even walking to a local park should be fine. Just not driving anywhere in order to go for a walk.

Also I think that's the reason why Derbyshire police were a bit over-zealous - because they didn't want scenes of the Peak District etc being flooded with people.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Should we be even contemplating "A good life" right now?
How about we all make a bit of a sacrifice for the greater good?  Perhaps do whatever we can, to keep ourselves and others alive, and healthy enough to (hopefully) enjoy life fully, once again some time in the near future?

I admit it's a gamble that may not pay off, be that for a fair few million of us, or mankind in general, but surely, it's got to be worth a go?  If we all just ignore it, and carry on having "A good life", for the here and now, the consequences don't bear thinking about!
It could be all over within two years from when it first materialised.  That's less than 3% of our lifetime, for those of us lucky enough to then go on to reach the age of 70? 

Not ideal, granted.  But better than the alternative, surely?

The potential of me never seeing my parents/my kids never seeing their granparents again?

Call me selfish but no that is not a better alternative for me.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

No, I didn’t realise you were a single adult (no reason I should have) someone else has posted about support bubbles.

Now you’re either you really don’t understand or you’re just being deliberately awkward and argumentative. I suspect the latter.

I know the weather isn’t so good at the moment but, who on earth has ever said you need to sit in your house and see absolutely no other adults.

You are allowed out for essential shopping and exercise and, you can exercise with one other adult.

No, I can't, I do not have friends and family that live what is described as local to me.

So the only thing I am actually permitted to do is exercise on my own or go the shop.

What an amazing life that is.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, I can't, I do not have friends and family that live what is described as local to me.

So the only thing I am actually permitted to do is exercise on my own or go the shop.

What an amazing life that is.

Well I do genuinely feel sorry for you buddy, it can't be easy and the day the pubs reopen is something to look forward to (the first drinks are on you??) but at least we've confirmed/agreed that you can at least go out for exercise (subject to weather of course).

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I've tested positive. Feels like a bad cold/mild flu at the moment. 

10 days in the house with the Mrs. Which will kill me first. Corona or her. 

Get well soon Norman, Lost three people that I have beers with and three more that have been in ICU. 

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Been on annual leave, so not sure where its from. Been in contact with nobody. Just doing some building work on my house with materials ordered online. Went to Asda once last week. That's it. 

How long you been off for? I was wondering if this new variant is better at remaining hidden for longer. If syptomns take longer to appear, it's gonna be better at spreading. Get well soon.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The potential of me never seeing my parents/my kids never seeing their granparents again?

Call me selfish but no that is not a better alternative for me.

Fair do's.  Hard to argue that without appearing heartless.

In my defence, it's probably far easier for me, as I haven't had parents since I was a teenager, over 4 decades ago. 

Muckerette's Dad is still going strong.  (He'll be 90 in May).  We've popped round to see him... out in his garden... probably once every six weeks or so, since April.  Last visit was a few days before Christmas.  I guess we'll now have to re-think, seeing as the rules have changed.  (He lives with Muckerette's brother and his wife, so at least he isn't alone).  
Re our kids and Grandkids, we all have to make do with video calls generally.  Don't think we've seen any of them in the flesh more than once or twice since April. 

Like I say, it ain't ideal... far from it!   We all have our opinions, and we all have decisions to make.  ?

4 hours ago, Norman said:

I've tested positive. Feels like a bad cold/mild flu at the moment. 

10 days in the house with the Mrs. Which will kill me first. Corona or her. 

Sorry to hear that, Norm!

Take care, rest up, and stay strong, buddy.  

...Oh... And don't get spending too much time on here.

Oh... wait... I meant pay some attention to your wife, not that you are not welcom... Oh bugger, I've messed up, ain't I!

??

The government needs to shut take away food and drinks apart from delivery and suspend  team sport for the next four weeks and get as many vulnerable people vaccinated as possible during that time. I say this based on the newest variant of covid being so easy to catch and having spent 30 years working in the NHS I have to say that the wards are not just full of people in their 80s and 70s with covid it’s people very ill with covid who are in their  50s and 40s - this is a very dangerous period of time we are in but things in this country should be so much better in about 4 months time.

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I think what the head of the Met said is sensible: that local excerise should mean starting & finishing at home (so Boris going for a bike ride around London is OK)

Walking, cycling etc & even walking to a local park should be fine. Just not driving anywhere in order to go for a walk.

Also I think that's the reason why Derbyshire police were a bit over-zealous - because they didn't want scenes of the Peak District etc being flooded with people.

Disagree with that although I see your point. With young children I prefer being away from roads. Surely it is important to go somewhere safe if you have young children? Elvaston or Markeaton or West Park offer this for me. Plus the latter two have decent parks for the kids to play in. (I live in Aston)

10 hours ago, Norman said:

Been on annual leave, so not sure where its from. Been in contact with nobody. Just doing some building work on my house with materials ordered online. Went to Asda once last week. That's it. 

You took some Marigolds home from work didn’t you Norm. Hang tough big guy.

10 hours ago, Norman said:

No further questions m’lud.

Archived