Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Hopefully the new measures will kill the recent requirement at my place of work to attend meetings in person For 6 people. 

Think we've had that six limit where I work for a while now as regards meetings. Which is a bit strange , given that most of the workforce are working close together for 12 hours at a time. 

Yesterday's announcement moves me from tier 1 to tier 4, as from Thursday. Yet I can't see any way in which my normal life/routine, will change.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Me to no wonder we can't get control over it when we keep doing half arsed lockdowns. 

We haven’t and won’t have any ‘control’ over it until either we have a cure or a fully effective vaccine. All we have are a set of avoidance measures with varying levels of success 

9 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Lots of the contradictions have come from people who probably had good intentions with sharing their knowledge.

Unfortunately good hasn’t always come about from the things they have said.

Lots of doctors and scientists  are very annoyed with some of their colleagues for talking a little to much about subjects that aren’t within their speciality.

Also pile in the vast amount of opinion and pseudo science that is currently being forced upon people, no wonder so many folk are confused. 

Im not an expert on this subject. I do however have the benefit of living in a family of doctors. 

Learned doctors?

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Hang on. A few days ago you wanted evidence that the NHS is stretched in winter. Now they are flooded every December. 

Make your mind up. 

Did I?

Can you show me that please?

Are you sure I didn't ask for evidence where the numbers are any higher this year than in a normal year?

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember back in the 80's when ban the bomb protesters used to stencil out the outlines of bodies in white paint.

If I was to do the same for those who have died from this virus in the UK, it would take me till Bradford to finish going in a straight line . Chester in the other direction.

That's not including this weekend and the joy to come over the next few weeks.

Not really sure of your point?

There are lots of causes of death.

I believe Covid was the 15th biggest killer during the month of October.

Only just realised that the pubs aren't even being allowed to do beer takeouts this time, even though they were allowed to during the 3 month lockdown in March.

Along with the lies and false presentation of how much the hospitality industry contributed to the spread it's another massive and ridiculous insult to everyone in that trade who's worked hard to make sure they've been compliant with the rules.

Absolutely no extra risk involved (infact less) than going to the supermarket or going to collect your takeaway food.

'Food pubs' are actually still allowed to do takeaway meals (which will be great for big chain pubs I'm sure, we can't be letting Wetherspoons suffer!) but they've got to pour all of their beer down the drain - it's a complete nonsense.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

On Andrew Mars, just said that plans for lockdown were leaked to back Bojo into a corner so he could not change his mind at the last minute. Weak.

The point here is two fold...

a)Who leaked it to the press? What did they expect to gain, it was going to be announced anyway. Implication is a Boris hater! Whoever it was should be sacked.

b) Media spent all day analysing something that wasn't officially announced, thus creating a "truth" from a rumour and probably driving the agenda. This is irresponsible in the extreme and really is abusing press freedom. They should challenge government policy but not destroy it before its stated. Undermining the government in a time of national crisis is appalling no matter what your political persuasion.

32 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah that is exactly what I am saying. Glad to see that "From what @Gritstone Ram can make out" was the moment you started to possibly doubt our glorious leaders.

See this is where your argument falls down.

You think anyone right of centre is unwilling to challenge the Government.

It's not what is reflected on this thread though.

8 hours ago, Albert said:

Intelligence refers to the information they're making the decisions on, and the 'graph from a few weeks ago', has turned out to be far closer to reality than even they were suggesting at the time. It was meant to be a worst case 'nothing was done' scenario, yet the UK hasn't far from matched it in real terms. 

In terms of the tolerances you get, they're worth displaying as there are uncertainties you have to work with. 300 a day is a sad state of affairs already, of course, but given that we're seeing exponential growth, doubling every 7 days, for deaths, the concerns are very much real at this point. 

Albert - my point was that the tolerance range applied from the next working day when you’ve got a solid trail behind it. Over time I agree that tolerance band gets bigger but not as wide as they have it on day one.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

From what I can make out these masks aren’t making any difference apart from making me look stupid. They don’t stop this virus from spreading.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If they did we wouldn’t be having a lockdown.

Masks work, the data shows it pretty clearly globally. The issue is that they are no magic bullet, and you still need other restrictions as well. If people just slap on some masks and go about their lives normally, they'll help, but won't prevent infection. 

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Albert - my point was that the tolerance range applied from the next working day when you’ve got a solid trail behind it. Over time I agree that tolerance band gets bigger but not as wide as they have it on day one.

I'd assume the issue is that the figures we actually have are estimates with tolerances as well, and those figures that aren't included do need to be taken into account. You also have to take into account the amount of noise day to day in figures, which indeed can jump about wildly. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Masks work, the data shows it pretty clearly globally. The issue is that they are no magic bullet, and you still need other restrictions as well. If people just slap on some masks and go about their lives normally, they'll help, but won't prevent infection. 

I'd assume the issue is that the figures we actually have are estimates with tolerances as well, and those figures that aren't included do need to be taken into account. You also have to take into account the amount of noise day to day in figures, which indeed can jump about wildly. 

Surely the hospital admissions and deaths with a positive test are definite numbers? 

Archived