Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Right then lockdown again so I'll continue to go to work with the couple of thousand people at my workplace from all areas of the country, my kids will carry on playing local football against clubs from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and go to their respective schools in the week then they tell me all about their day whilst unknowingly killing me and then spend my life savings on fifa points. 

I'll carry on working in a factory of 800 while the missus works in a school with 30+ kids in each class then we'll enjoy evenings sitting at home staying safe. 

Its absolute baalocks. If it really is as dangerous as they are telling us they'd close schools and uni's.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'll carry on working in a factory of 800 while the missus works in a school with 30+ kids in each class then we'll enjoy evenings sitting at home staying safe. 

Its absolute baalocks. If it really is as dangerous as they are telling us they'd close schools and uni's.

That’s the thing I don’t get. 

I had a tattoo booked in on the 12th, cancelled now. I would have been the only person in that day in one of those cleanest sterile environments. 

School’s and Uni’s still open, now of course in the grand scheme of things a tattoo is nothing on education, but you can’t help but feel some of these rules are just bizarre. 

It’s a month. I’m sure teachers could work out some remote learning for one month if that was all this is going to be. 

I’m not against a lockdown and limiting social interactions, but when the rules are daft it’s hard to stomach.

Seeing more people posting on social media that they are simply ignoring the rules this time round compared to the first. 

Listening to a senior nurse, it's not the shortage of beds that will be the main concern, if the cases increase. It will be a shortage of trained critical care nurses that will be the biggest worry for NHS management.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why? Because a hospital has got sick people in it? Hardly groundbreaking news is it?

161 patients with Covid, 12 in ICU.

Over 250 in there during the 'first wave'.

Remember back in the 80's when ban the bomb protesters used to stencil out the outlines of bodies in white paint.

If I was to do the same for those who have died from this virus in the UK, it would take me till Bradford to finish going in a straight line . Chester in the other direction.

That's not including this weekend and the joy to come over the next few weeks.

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’s not so much about the amount of people that die with covid being the cause of death. It’s also not being done because of economical benefits in the long run. 

Its damage limitation in order for the nhs to survive, and then continue with the services it provides for those that need it in the future. 

The cost in lives will be great, financially the cost will be even greater. 

Closing schools will always be the last resort due to the absolutely huge social impact that closing schools would cause.

We aren’t trying to achieve a zero-covid status, this is just damage limitation.

39 minutes ago, David said:

That’s the thing I don’t get. 

I had a tattoo booked in on the 12th, cancelled now. I would have been the only person in that day in one of those cleanest sterile environments. 

School’s and Uni’s still open, now of course in the grand scheme of things a tattoo is nothing on education, but you can’t help but feel some of these rules are just bizarre. 

It’s a month. I’m sure teachers could work out some remote learning for one month if that was all this is going to be. 

I’m not against a lockdown and limiting social interactions, but when the rules are daft it’s hard to stomach.

Seeing more people posting on social media that they are simply ignoring the rules this time round compared to the first. 

A couple of reasons why closing schools is perhaps worst than keeping them open

https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse/consequences

What is your opinion on those who would appear willing to ignore the new rules without valid reason to do so given current circumstances? 

35 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Listening to a senior nurse, it's not the shortage of beds that will be the main concern, if the cases increase. It will be a shortage of trained critical care nurses that will be the biggest worry for NHS management.

Physical beds isn't ever the actual issue. When the NHS talks about beds, it's not the physical spot to put a patient, it's the people and resources to take care of them. 

19 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

It’s not so much about the amount of people that die with covid being the cause of death. It’s also not being done because of economical benefits in the long run. 

Its damage limitation in order for the nhs to survive, and then continue with the services it provides for those that need it in the future. 

The cost in lives will be great, financially the cost will be even greater. 

Closing schools will always be the last resort due to the absolutely huge social impact that closing schools would cause.

We aren’t trying to achieve a zero-covid status, this is just damage limitation.

Its very difficult to understand the contradictions, delays, masks are bad, masks are good messages, and all the rest of the stuff we are trying to come to terms with while trying to look after elderly parents and grandkids who we are not allowed to see unless its exceptional circumstances.....

You seem to understand far better than me and have superior knowledge, may I ask what your expertise is in all this?

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

It is and they should. 

This should have been done over the last 2 weeks as the scientists said. With schools and unis shut so only 1 week missed of class time re half term. Now because it has been left too late it is 4 weeks not 2.  

23 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its very difficult to understand the contradictions, delays, masks are bad, masks are good messages, and all the rest of the stuff we are trying to come to terms with while trying to look after elderly parents and grandkids who we are not allowed to see unless its exceptional circumstances.....

You seem to understand far better than me and have superior knowledge, may I ask what your expertise is in all this?

Lots of the contradictions have come from people who probably had good intentions with sharing their knowledge.

Unfortunately good hasn’t always come about from the things they have said.

Lots of doctors and scientists  are very annoyed with some of their colleagues for talking a little to much about subjects that aren’t within their speciality.

Also pile in the vast amount of opinion and pseudo science that is currently being forced upon people, no wonder so many folk are confused. 

Im not an expert on this subject. I do however have the benefit of living in a family of doctors. 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

It is and they should. 

This should have been done over the last 2 weeks as the scientists said. With schools and unis shut so only 1 week missed of class time re half term. Now because it has been left too late it is 4 weeks not 2.  

Unfortunately it appears politics are getting in the way of how we should clinically deal with the virus. 

That comes as no great surprise though as politicians have to deal with far more than just the public health aspect.

42 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

What is your opinion on those who would appear willing to ignore the new rules without valid reason to do so given current circumstances? 

No opinion. I share their frustration, but will abide by the rules myself. What they choose to do is up to them. 

4 hours ago, jimmyp said:

I think they were built on the basis of very simplistic modelling of the pandemic, that and panic due to the situation on the continent.

We now have far more intelligence as to the actual infection rate and it’s location within the nation. 

How did that ‘far more intelligence’ graph go with Witty/Valance a few weeks ago - they made tw@ts of themselves and lost any credibility they had left with a lot of the public.

They've gone and done it again tonight. Quite literally, one of their graphs predicting deaths showed the upper tolerance going from today’s number of circa 300 to a number over a thousand tomorrow. It’s just embarrassing and is purely there to scare people.

These slides annoyed the hell out of me in their presentation today - literally despite a very consistent trend over two weeks, their tolerance bands suggests that from tomorrow deaths and hospital admissions could spike significantly by three/four fold.

This type of misrepresentation is completely irresponsible.

5DE9CE42-4A07-45D5-A395-443979B171AF.png

37F87898-0C25-4E4B-93C8-1185132552F8.png

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

These slides annoyed the hell out of me in their presentation today - literally despite a very consistent trend over two weeks, their tolerance bands suggests that from tomorrow deaths and hospital admissions could spike significantly by three/four fold.

This type of misrepresentation is completely irresponsible.

5DE9CE42-4A07-45D5-A395-443979B171AF.png

37F87898-0C25-4E4B-93C8-1185132552F8.png

On the other hand, we can take the dumbass option and hope for the best.

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

How did that ‘far more intelligence’ graph go with Witty/Valance a few weeks ago - they made tw@ts of themselves and lost any credibility they had left with a lot of the public.

They've gone and done it again tonight. Quite literally, one of their graphs predicting deaths showed the upper tolerance going from today’s number of circa 300 to a number over a thousand tomorrow. It’s just embarrassing and is purely there to scare people.

Intelligence refers to the information they're making the decisions on, and the 'graph from a few weeks ago', has turned out to be far closer to reality than even they were suggesting at the time. It was meant to be a worst case 'nothing was done' scenario, yet the UK hasn't far from matched it in real terms. 

In terms of the tolerances you get, they're worth displaying as there are uncertainties you have to work with. 300 a day is a sad state of affairs already, of course, but given that we're seeing exponential growth, doubling every 7 days, for deaths, the concerns are very much real at this point. 

Archived