Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I saw a spike in cases of hypocrisy...

In fact I remember making that VERY point to my dozen or so neighbours at our VE Street Party during our rousing rendition of "Hitler has only got one ball". We nodded in agreement so hard that we almost unlinked arms at one point

Be careful with the H word...very offensive to some on here!

Was going to say I saw a spike in virtue signalling wokeness but its turned out to be more of a tidal wave than a spike.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, the 2019 official figures for all passengers, including domestic travel, is only ~300 million, so you were mistaken with that previous post. You can find the official figures here.

Once you add the illegals on it's 1m a day.

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

CBA to decipher that, neither can I be bothered to find my 330m link.  If you add in other forms of travel the number only goes up.  In any case I originally said 'the best part of 1m' of which it is.

You can't be bothered to find it likely because it wasn't true. 

Ignoring the rest because I find your argument to be based on winning an attritional battle - I pointed out in a previous post how we were entrenched with our arguments and it was pointlessly going backwards and forwards.

My argument is based on evidence, rather than random statements hoping no one is going to check. That's not an attrition battle dear. 

You seem to be desperate for the last word and 'win' however, whereas my argument has always been long term, the outcome of which will be unknown for years.  Continuing this discussion is fruitless, I have tried to be nice and back away but am now asking you to stop replying to me. 

You'll notice that my points require no future information, as they're based on analysis of what we know so far. I'm making no statements that require future understanding. 

Further comments aimed at goading me into a reply will ignored and tbh I was under the impression that moderators of the old politics thread suspended several posters accusing them of using such tactics.

That's lovely dear. 

8 hours ago, TexasRam said:

@Albert I’ll take my chances with Covid in the UK than this ????

Huntsmen are fairly harmless. 

7 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Trouble is that although I agree with you that it is achievable to go back to some sort of normality with test and trace, this was what was promised back in July when everything was opening up and cases were low but itnever happened. The government cannot be trusted to deliver any sort of novel project quickly. 

Because of this failure, there will not be enough buy-in from MPs, Local Leaders or the public for it to work.

We both seem to agree that this is a real issue. 

Many people were supportive of strict measures in March which ran through til July because financial support was available, mask policy, testing system (but not tracing) appeared to work. A lot do not support further measures and it's not because they're selfish but because they're fatigued and want to get on with their lives. 

People made huge sacrifices, thousands were put out of work. 

The anti-lockdown sentiment you see here is because it will take another 3 months of poor quality living, in the winter, through the festive period, with an uncertain outcome, guided by a government who cannot keep a grip on it. The death and illness just gets rationalised (as I think we see in this thread!) 

This is the whole thing, I understand where the anger comes from, the issue is that it remains the best path available. 'Opening up' just isn't a solution to any of the problems people raise, and it'll just bring more pain to go down that path. The issue now is that, as you note, many believe UK's government is just not up to it, and the UK is already going through enough due to choices from before this pandemic. 

I imagine in Australia it's easier to say 'why don't you just do xyz properly' when you've had a more positive outcome and better handling of the outbreak. You might say we get a better economic outcome in the end by locking people down but trust in long-term planning and further financial support does not seem forthcoming. 

People are completely fed up.

You're not wrong, it is much easier to have faith in something when the government hasn't messed everything up. 

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Question for @Albert

How do you see this progressing (probably the wrong word) in the UK over the next 3 to 4 months?

It has to flatten at some point, but otherwise, not sure. The hope is that the last few days are evidence of this beginning. 

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

So long as you hide your jellied eels or your mushy peas if the police stop you, how on earth will they know?

I was stopped by the police driving down the M1 at 3:30 am on a Sunday morning many years ago (I was going sea fishing at Newhaven).

They went through the usual "Is this your vehicle, sir?" spiel, then told me they thought it was 'unusual' for someone from <insert my address> to be driving at that time in that location. I'm pretty sure that the DVLA details do include the location at which the car is usually kept.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What absolute Bamfords the doctors sound, risk is embedded in their profession if they can't handle it at the expense of other peoples basic  rights they should find a new job. 

24 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

What absolute Bamfords the doctors sound, risk is embedded in their profession if they can't handle it at the expense of other peoples basic  rights they should find a new job. 

I think maybe it’s about the risk of all the doctors and medical staff having to quarantine due to catching Covid, thus leading to a massively understaffed service. They state they are already understaffed as it is. 

The doctors are trying to save lives and it really has little to do with risk embedded in their profession.

If they all left to find a new job,France would be utterly mullered.

It highlights the massive problem the world is still suffering in the short supply of adequate PPE, and unfortunately for the french women in labour this is causing trauma. 

49 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

I think maybe it’s about the risk of all the doctors and medical staff having to quarantine due to catching Covid, thus leading to a massively understaffed service. They state they are already understaffed as it is. 

The doctors are trying to save lives and it really has little to do with risk embedded in their profession.

If they all left to find a new job,France would be utterly mullered.

It highlights the massive problem the world is still suffering in the short supply of adequate PPE, and unfortunately for the french women in labour this is causing trauma. 

If the doctors have PPE on themselves, including masks and visors then the risk is very low.... that’s what we told isn’t it, masks work?

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If the doctors have PPE on themselves, including masks and visors then the risk is very low.... that’s what we told isn’t it, masks work?

Why don’t you go back and re read this thread and the many posts that have talked about masks rather than bringing it up again. 

Taken from the article you posted;

“The President at the National College of Midwives of France, Adrien Gantois, believes the figure is higher now than before the pandemic, and has argued that the focus should be on protecting staff by giving them improved PPE, as they do in the UK and the US, and has called for a localised review of the practice.

He said: 'Wearing a mask during delivery is not practical.

'The maternity hospitals that make it compulsory during this major physical exertion need to review their policy and prioritise the wearing of an FFP2 mask for the carers'.

Ms Bisch said that maternity wards claim they do not have enough high-grade PPE equipment so the Ministry of Health should step in and supply more.”

Now theyve got their tier system in looks like we get constant will they won't they change the restrictions. 

Again talk of London being moved up to 2. Cases still much less than Notts of Manchester.  

I know a lot of people frustrated with the prospect at not being able to see partners etc for some undefined length of time. 

12 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Now theyve got their tier system in looks like we get constant will they won't they change the restrictions. 

Again talk of London being moved up to 2. Cases still much less than Notts of Manchester.  

I know a lot of people frustrated with the prospect at not being able to see partners etc for some undefined length of time. 

The tier system is a good idea, although it does stink of Boris trying to pass blame onto local councils.

I do think they have been too light in alot of places, surely Nottingham (the city with the highest cases per 100k in the country at 975) should be in tier 3?

28 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

The tier system is a good idea, although it does stink of Boris trying to pass blame onto local councils.

I do think they have been too light in alot of places, surely Nottingham (the city with the highest cases per 100k in the country at 975) should be in tier 3?

Yet my Borough on less than 80 per 100k gonna be in the same tier... 

Did anyone know the rules on negative testing had changed? Last time I checked in September, if you had symptoms, you had to continue to isolate for 10 days after a negative test. And your household had to isolate for 14 days from when your symptoms started.

Now no one in household has to isolate after a negative test, provided they haven't had symptoms. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Did anyone hear about this rule change? And how can the rules change so much within a short space of time? Perhaps people were not risking getting tested due to the impact? Maybe we believe the test results more now?

14 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Yet my Borough on less than 80 per 100k gonna be in the same tier... 

Have the government given any reason yet as to how the infection rate corresponds to restrictions? Starmer asked this at PMQs a week ago (why Johnson's constituency had twice the rate of a lockdowned Northern area) but he obviously didn't answer.

And someone posted that newspaper article that showed the constituencies of cabinet ministers with high rates and no lockdowns. If it turns out that these restrictions are politically motivated then surely the game is up?

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Have the government given any reason yet as to how the infection rate corresponds to restrictions? Starmer asked this at PMQs a week ago (why Johnson's constituency had twice the rate of a lockdowned Northern area) but he obviously didn't answer.

And someone posted that newspaper article that showed the constituencies of cabinet ministers with high rates and no lockdowns. If it turns out that these restrictions are politically motivated then surely the game is up?

As far as I know they havent.

Seems an opportunity missed to properly systemise the restrictions, that way its clear to everyone what will happen when and where.

Instead its just some more cobbled together half measures that dont do the job properly but make it look like the government is trying.

57 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Outside of the big picture, cases in Derby are starting to mount.

121 per 100k between 03-09/10

From the map, this seems to be mostly driven by Mickleover and Littleover which surprises me. Maybe a high concentration of schools?

image.png.05ed578059f4f9cb8d866c661f7ab515.png

Why’s Chad white? Is it just people aren’t allowed in to test ?

Archived