Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon some posters on here must go to bed every night with headphones on and this, 5 hour audiobook, playing on repeat. It would explain a lot.

In the second edition of this witty and infectious book, Madsen Pirie builds upon his guide to using - and indeed abusing - logic in order to win arguments. By including new chapters on how to win arguments in writing, in the pub, with a friend, on Facebook and in 140 characters (on Twitter), Pirie provides the complete guide to triumphing in altercations ranging from the everyday to the downright serious.

Maybe a 2 week circuit breaker lockdown for this thread, with posters only allowed back on once they can prove they've read/listened to it?

First Minister of Wales is imposing a ban on anyone coming from high Covid areas of England into low Covid areas in Wales. 

First time there have been Covid borders between nations of the United Kingdom

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

First Minister of Wales is imposing a ban on anyone coming from high Covid areas of England into low Covid areas in Wales. 

Wee Jimmy Krankie is warning Scots from visiting Blackpool or gathering in numbers to watch Celtic vc Rangers at the weekend;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scotlands-first-minister-warns-against-travel-to-englands-covid-hotspots-amid-blackpool-link-12103933

And Liverpool's 'local leaders' welcome military support to police the streets;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-restrictions-extra-officers-deployed-on-liverpools-streets-as-local-leaders-would-welcome-armys-support-12103893

Its gonna be a long winter.

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52614204

Depends on how much more stringent the "ban" is than the one enforced in May

There are something like 100 roads crossing the English/Welsh border I think? Surely they won't patrol them but more likely be random road side checks

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

There are something like 100 roads crossing the English/Welsh border I think? Surely they won't patrol them but more likely be random road side checks

They are saying armed patrols ?? espically for folk from Derbyshire seeking girlfriends ?

Just now, GboroRam said:

I unreservedly apologise for saying you complained about them. You didn't complain.

You threw them into the conversation randomly and without any reason.

Not really randomly was it?

Thought the discussion was around people breaking the lockdown rules?

You presented your picture of the people on the beach (which I think has been shown elsewhere to be manipulated to make it look like everyone was sat on top of each other, when we know in reality doesnt really happen on a beach). I thought I'd raise a better example where thousands marches through the streets shoulder to shoulder, although admittedly with a lot more mask usage.

Long and short of both scenarios was that these were in May/June/July but led to no spikes in cases.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You presented your picture of the people on the beach (which I think has been shown elsewhere to be manipulated to make it look like everyone was sat on top of each other, when we know in reality doesnt really happen on a beach). I thought I'd raise a better example where thousands marches through the streets shoulder to shoulder, although admittedly with a lot more mask usage.

Long and short of both scenarios was that these were in May/June/July but led to no spikes in cases.

So in other words you were saying I was posting something unrealistic. You could say, it was a complaint about my representation of lockdown breaches. 

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

these were in May/June/July but led to no spikes in cases

I saw a spike in cases of hypocrisy...

In fact I remember making that VERY point to my dozen or so neighbours at our VE Street Party during our rousing rendition of "Hitler has only got one ball". We nodded in agreement so hard that we almost unlinked arms at one point

56 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

How is this ban even enforceable?  Its not like we're even a big country, if you live in a 'hotspot' and are desperate to get to Wales, just drive 20mins further up the road and cross the border there.

So long as you hide your jellied eels or your mushy peas if the police stop you, how on earth will they know?

This is getting more bonkers by the day.

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hold on, just realised you are back! 

33 minutes ago, maxjam said:

How is this ban even enforceable?  Its not like we're even a big country, if you live in a 'hotspot' and are desperate to get to Wales, just drive 20mins further up the road and cross the border there.

I imagine it's pretty annoying if you travel from Whitchurch to Ellesmere a lot

image.png.c283ac5f9411e13a16370c00af42baa4.png

Or indeed live on the north side of the Severn estuary and need to get to Bristol!

image.png.05dfbbc9edfa14ff1bfee534d9a5fa8c.png

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I imagine it's pretty annoying if you travel from Whitchurch to Ellesmere a lot

image.png.c283ac5f9411e13a16370c00af42baa4.png

Or indeed live on the north side of the Severn estuary and need to get to Bristol!

image.png.05dfbbc9edfa14ff1bfee534d9a5fa8c.png

Obviously gonna be easier to cross in some places than others.  It'll be a bit of a bugger if you regularly have to use the M48 or M4 for work and they start setting up road checks ?

On 13/10/2020 at 00:03, Andicis said:

Now do per capita. 

And population density, and age of population, and percentage of half wits, and cultural habits of said half wits, what why and how a death certificate is registered and the Doctors terms of reference.

Then add in the countries that don’t have either the structure or the integrity to report anything remotely resembling accurate figures.

You can only compare like with like; it is undeniable that  allowing for common sense variables the figures across most old “west European nations” are comparable regardless of centre right or centre left governments. The rest is like transfer gossip from click bait merchants. 

Archived