Coronavirus

1of4

Sith Happens
43 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

People have had enough of the “new normal” now! Germany coronavirus: 'Anti-corona' protest in Berlin draws thousands https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959552 

Surely if you are going to make the effort and protest you should actually protest against something that is a thing...not like this plank in london today.

PRI_162629154.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surely if you are going to make the effort and protest you should actually protest against something that is a thing...not like this plank in london today.

Couldn’t agree more on that, the “hoax” Protestors are clowns, however those wanting normality back ASAP get my backing 

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Couldn’t agree more on that, the “hoax” Protestors are clowns, however those wanting normality back ASAP get my backing 

no problem with people wanting a faster return to normality,  and while I don't necessarily agree i understand the arguments for it. But the protests today,  certainly in London are on a different level,  with the liked of david icke and piers Corbyn leading the coronavirus is a hoax angle, I think its disrespectful to those who have died and their families. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

He's right to be scared of science and big pharma.

The man behind is surely the result of a DNA experiment crossing two Welsh legends, Robbie Savage and Gareth Thomas.

I've been listening to a podcast today about how close we are to finding a vaccine.

One of the "experts" was a British guy who is professor of global diseases (or something like that) at the University of California in San Francisco.

He was suggesting that we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on a global vaccine any time soon (he described a game changing vaccine as one that works for 75% of those receiving it and lasts for seven years). He compared the virus to Aids where a vaccine was promised but never delivered.

He was a big advocate of wearing masks and, rather amusingly, compared the wearing of masks as the covid 19 equivalent of wearing a condom in the battle against Aids - took some time convincing the public of the benefits but has proved to have made a real difference in controlling the spread of the disease.

(cue the puns and jokes about condoms).

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I've been listening to a podcast today about how close we are to finding a vaccine.

One of the "experts" was a British guy who is professor of global diseases (or something like that) at the University of California in San Francisco.

He was suggesting that we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on a global vaccine any time soon (he described a game changing vaccine as one that works for 75% of those receiving it and lasts for seven years). He compared the virus to Aids where a vaccine was promised but never delivered.

He was a big advocate of wearing masks and, rather amusingly, compared the wearing of masks as the covid 19 equivalent of wearing a condom in the battle against Aids - took some time convincing the public of the benefits but has proved to have made a real difference in controlling the spread of the disease.

(cue the puns and jokes about condoms).

Pfft.....Just some Johnny come lately spouting off

Numbers on the rise but ONS survey not showing anything definitive yet.

Thankfully deaths etc still pretty low.

I'm surprised the government are pushing people to go back to the office so soon when everything seems a bit on a knife edge at the moment. 

Surely seems to make sense to wait til Octobertime once we are sure of the impact of schoolkids mixing and students moving around. 

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm surprised the government are pushing people to go back to the office so soon when everything seems a bit on a knife edge at the moment. 

Surely seems to make sense to wait til Octobertime once we are sure of the impact of schoolkids mixing and students moving around. 

Not everyone works in a office thousands of people in Derbyshire work on production lines and have had little or no time away from their workplace, so I'm sure those who work in offices will be quite safe sat at a desk wearing a mask. 

Working in food production we have to be fully trained in Food Safety. I am trained to Food Safety Level 4 and HACCP Level 3. 

We are not allowed to wear cloth masks  in food production because of the build up of bacteria inside the mask and the risk of touching the mask and transferring bacteria. Bacteria will travel through cloth masks and up to 4 layers of tissue paper.

Its not new, this has been our training for 20 years. Its dangerous to the wearer and  the consumer to wear masks. Basic food hygiene.

The Government guidelines made this clear at the start of the Covid outbreak but all of a sudden its changed to wearing masks is ok.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Working in food production we have to be fully trained in Food Safety. I am trained to Food Safety Level 4 and HACCP Level 3. 

We are not allowed to wear cloth masks  in food production because of the build up of bacteria inside the mask and the risk of touching the mask and transferring bacteria. Bacteria will travel through cloth masks and up to 4 layers of tissue paper.

Its not new, this has been our training for 20 years. Its dangerous to the wearer and  the consumer to wear masks. Basic food hygiene.

The Government guidelines made this clear at the start of the Covid outbreak but all of a sudden its changed to wearing masks is ok.

Boris changed the law after he went halves on a mask factory with Dominc Raab.

There are lots of statistics about rising cases, but not much analysis of the type of cases out there recently. 

Are the people who are catching it showing less severe symptoms? Is this because they are generally younger? Or are the symptoms in older people also less severe? 

I know hospital admissions remain very low but that's about it.

Like many others, I suspect, my social media timeline is littered with photos of friends and family out and about, arms entwined as they take the obligatory selfies (group selfies are virtually impossible whilst social distancing) and it makes me very nervous. 

The media have stopped their "league tables", i.e. Age groups of those who have died or contacted the virus; ethicity or culture backgrounds and if those who have died have "underlying" health issues.

Only two lists now published in the media - deaths and those with positive symptoms.

Yesterday (Sunday) there was just one death, which is not even a statistic, yet over 1,700 positive cases. Where are those cases, what are their age groups and are they being seriously told to self-isolate for 7 to 14 days?

Are any of the cases found on children, 5 to 16 year olds, because if they are, then the schools will not re-open.

Are they in the 18 to 22 year old age groups, because if they are, then the colleges and universtities will not re-open.

The govenment is pushing hard to get everyone back to "normal" - schools & universtities opened and the general public back to work, yet I don't think the full facts are being published.

14 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Why shouldn't the government start encouraging people to start going back to work in an office, they should have been progressing this with more vigour weeks ago. 

It's patently obvious that there a number of people who are more than happy to go and dine out for cheap meals, or sit on a packed aeroplane or beach but when given the alternative of going back to work rather than sit at home and get paid for it shock horror they play the social distancing card. 

If people can work from home adequately then there is no point in forcing them back to work for the avoidance of doubt I'm alluding to the number of conscious objectors who really are supine hypocrites. 

59 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

The media have stopped their "league tables", i.e. Age groups of those who have died or contacted the virus; ethicity or culture backgrounds and if those who have died have "underlying" health issues.

Only two lists now published in the media - deaths and those with positive symptoms.

Yesterday (Sunday) there was just one death, which is not even a statistic, yet over 1,700 positive cases. Where are those cases, what are their age groups and are they being seriously told to self-isolate for 7 to 14 days?

Are any of the cases found on children, 5 to 16 year olds, because if they are, then the schools will not re-open.

Are they in the 18 to 22 year old age groups, because if they are, then the colleges and universtities will not re-open.

The govenment is pushing hard to get everyone back to "normal" - schools & universtities opened and the general public back to work, yet I don't think the full facts are being published.

Schools will open. Facts will not be published if they say not to. 

Schools will open.

4 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

I really don’t think it as simple as that.

For example, the law of averages suggests there are bound to be some cases amongst young adults but I think there would need to be a significant and widespread number of cases in the 18 - 22 range for colleges and universities throughout the whole country not to re-open. Same with schools.

Archived