Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Reading the last few posts on this thread. Yes people are and will continue to milk forlough, sitting on their arse for at least 80% pay of course they are loving it and will want it to continue. 

Teachers have worked tirelessly hard to get kids back to school, absolute BS. They have been sun bathing for 6 months and are gutted they have to go back, and will cry safety to the unions to prevent the opening of schools. Good on Boris for forcing them to open.

Yes we should open up the country NOW. The virus has had its day and seems no longer to be the huge threat it was made out to be. Let people in football grounds, have concerts, open night clubs etc etc ...let people live their lives.

You feel unsafe and don’t want normality, then stay in. I’m prepared to take the risk, if your not fair enough.

Thats my views on this topic, good morning and have a great safe day everyone. 

You don’t like teachers, I get it. But that’s no reason to spew lies about them. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Sunbathing for 6 months? My other half has been teaching keyworker kids during lockdown, preparing work and lessons for the rest of the children who are remote learning during the entirety of lockdown. Spent the whole of the six weeks holiday (bar one week) lesson planning for the current term and organising and making her classroom as as ready as it can be. Teachers absolutely want to go back, but they want to go back when it is safe to do so. It is not currently safe to do so.

The insistence by you that they have been swanning off doing nothing for the last 6 months is incredulous, extremely damaging and just plain wrong.

Obviously cant comment on how hard teachers have or have not been working, as I do not know many.

The one I do know was working on a 3 week rota, 1 in school, 1 'working from home', 1 off.

2 out of the 3 weeks would include many Instagram pics of sunbathing in the back garden with a glass of wine.

So although its only one teacher I would suggest @TexasRamcomment is not massively wide of the mark in some cases.

I guess it would very by what age they teach.

In terms of the homework that my year 2 and year 5 children were receiving, I would guess it could be knocked together in about an hour. They did not receive any marks on the work that they did nor any feedback.

The only time their work was marked was when it was built into the online class, so automated marking requiring no teacher input.

Whether there was any work going on in the background I would not know.

Why do you say it is currently not safe to go back to school? Is there any comprehensive research that backs up this theory? I assume it is also not safe to go shopping and the people that are so scared for their safety are still self isolating?

15 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Sunbathing for 6 months? My other half has been teaching keyworker kids during lockdown, preparing work and lessons for the rest of the children who are remote learning during the entirety of lockdown. Spent the whole of the six weeks holiday (bar one week) lesson planning for the current term and organising and making her classroom as as ready as it can be. Teachers absolutely want to go back, but they want to go back when it is safe to do so. It is not currently safe to do so.

The insistence by you that they have been swanning off doing nothing for the last 6 months is incredulous, extremely damaging and just plain wrong.

I say what I see dont like it don’t reply 

33 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Last week I started with a sore throat then it turned into a cough then a cough with a sore throat. The only symptom I didn’t have was a temperature. I had all the rest.

I felt really ill at one point so I booked in for a test. It took a while for the results to come back by which time I was feeling loads better. The result was negative it wasn’t Covid-19 but there’s something else going around at the moment.

I was back in Uk at the end of July and came back with somehting exactly like that.  The sore throat was the worst I could remember.  i tested negative also.  

23 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You don’t like teachers, I get it. But that’s no reason to spew lies about them. 

Why accuse another poster of lying when you have no idea what experience they have on the subject in hand?

Do you know every single teacher in the country to be able to assert that the other posters comment is a lie?

44 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Last week I started with a sore throat then it turned into a cough then a cough with a sore throat. The only symptom I didn’t have was a temperature. I had all the rest.

I felt really ill at one point so I booked in for a test. It took a while for the results to come back by which time I was feeling loads better. The result was negative it wasn’t Covid-19 but there’s something else going around at the moment.

Had something similar last week and same tested negative. Still got the cough but feel fine otherwise...

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why accuse another poster of lying when you have no idea what experience they have on the subject in hand?

Do you know every single teacher in the country to be able to assert that the other posters comment is a lie?

of course equally,  if not more so because of the accusations levelled in the post, does Texas know all the teachers in the country to label them all lazy bar stewards who just want to sunbathe. 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So this is true, is it:

'Teachers have worked tirelessly hard to get kids back to school, absolute BS. They have been sun bathing for 6 months and are gutted they have to go back'

This statement does not refer to 'some teachers' or 'teachers I know', it refers to teachers generally. It's not true. It's deliberate. It's a lie.

I know there will be those on the right who want to stick the boot into teachers but the idea that they have been 'sun-bathing for 6 months' is so hopelessly wide of the mark that even those that thrive on such tripe should baulk at it.

15 minutes ago, djfred84 said:

Why are certain posters aloud to parrot right wing tropes next they will be on to conspiracy theories and promoting flat earthers. Was a genuine decent thread.

Provided forum rules aren't broken people should be allowed to post what they want regardless of if you agree or not.

As far as I can see despite differences of opinion no one has broken any forum rules in the debate this morning.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Provided forum rules aren't broken people should be allowed to post what they want regardless of if you agree or not.

As far as I can see despite differences of opinion no one has broken any forum rules in the debate this morning.

Ok but it's not about disagreeing it's about dangerous statements.

1 minute ago, djfred84 said:

Ok but it's not about disagreeing it's about dangerous statements.

Are they that dangerous ? others including myself have challenged them,  for me the fact so many have done so really weakens the views posted, which is a positive thing. 

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Are they that dangerous ? others including myself have challenged them,  for me the fact so many have done so really weakens the views posted, which is a positive thing. 

Yeah fair maybe my initial reaction was one of shock but yeah you are right. Just in the current climate it's easy for fringe ideas to become mainstream on every side.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I say what I see dont like it don’t reply 

As with most things in life, it's wrong to generalise and tar everyone in a group of people with the same brush purely based on what you see on forums, Instagram, Twitter etc. Anyone one who jumps to the conclusion that seeing a few dozen comments or posts must mean they are representative of the masses is wrong and naive (in my opinion). 

There may well be some teachers that have effectively "put their feet up" but I would imagine there are a whole lot more that haven't.

Same with working from home. No doubt some have seen it as an opportunity to ease off and take it easy but I'm sure there are plenty more that are working at least as hard - possibly longer hours if they don't have to commute. 

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

As with most things in life, it's wrong to generalise and tar everyone in a group of people with the same brush purely based on what you see on forums, Instagram, Twitter etc. Anyone one who jumps to the conclusion that seeing a few dozen comments or posts must mean they are representative of the masses is wrong and naive (in my opinion). 

There may well be some teachers that have effectively "put their feet up" but I would imagine there are a whole lot more that haven't.

Same with working from home. No doubt some have seen it as an opportunity to ease off and take it easy but I'm sure there are plenty more that are working at least as hard - possibly longer hours if they don't have to commute. 

I was perfectly fine on furlough, wish it would last forever. however I was binned from my job once they stopped furlough and are now working for less than half the amount from furlough. I'd imagine there is more than just me in that boat.

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Reading the last few posts on this thread. Yes people are and will continue to milk forlough, sitting on their arse for at least 80% pay of course they are loving it and will want it to continue. 

Teachers have worked tirelessly hard to get kids back to school, absolute BS. They have been sun bathing for 6 months and are gutted they have to go back, and will cry safety to the unions to prevent the opening of schools. Good on Boris for forcing them to open.

Yes we should open up the country NOW. The virus has had its day and seems no longer to be the huge threat it was made out to be. Let people in football grounds, have concerts, open night clubs etc etc ...let people live their lives.

You feel unsafe and don’t want normality, then stay in. I’m prepared to take the risk, if your not fair enough.

Thats my views on this topic, good morning and have a great safe day everyone. 

The first 3 paragraphs are so unrelated.

First one is about all these people you know who are milking furlough. You did not respond to my point about why these slackers would be doing this when it clearly impacts their future prospects. Such behaviour seems stupid as opposed to lazy.

The next paragraph...wow. Where did the attack on teachers come from? It's pretty depressing really that you hold these views, but good that you can post them to display your ignorance. Pretty funny to see @G STAR RAM jump to your defence. When did teachers come such a hated group?

Not sure who your 3rd paragraph is aimed at. You seem to think that "Boris had forced" schools to open but clearly you must have major disagreements why he has allowed the lockdown to continue with precautions you find ridiculous. 

The idea of people milking furlough is a strange one to me

I may well be misunderstanding but was it not largely down to the employer to decide who would be furloughed and when they would return? Are people supposed to turn this down and say “no, how about you make me redundant instead?” That was certainly the case when I was furloughed but luckily enough have retained my job and am back working on full pay. 

What is the alternative for someone who is furloughed other than to take the payments and not work?

The demonisation of people in this position is very confusing

Archived