Coronavirus

1of4

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

8 consecutive weeks of weekly deaths being below the 5 yearly average now.

Thus indicating that wearing a mask, socially distancing and maintaining basic good hygiene really does have its benefits.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Thus indicating that wearing a mask, socially distancing and maintaining basic good hygiene really does have its benefits.

Actually got my figures wrong. This was the first week in 8 weeks that deaths have gone back above the 5 yearly average...let's see how you spin this one!

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Actually got my figures wrong. This was the first week in 8 weeks that deaths have gone back above the 5 yearly average...let's see how you spin this one!

With the loosening of lock-down and the opening of more businesses, where more people are coming into closer contract with each other. Many of these people are refusing to wear a mask, not maintaining social. I'll also hazard a guess that they've forgotten the the words to Happy Birthday, if they even remembered to wash their hands in the first place.

So with all this failure to contain the spread of the virus, I wouldn't be suprised if as you say the number of deaths are rising. Looks as if the stopping of people coming into contact with each other did keep down the number of deaths wether it be from the coronavirus or the box-standard yearly flu epidemic.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

With the loosening of lock-down and the opening of more businesses, where more people are coming into closer contract with each other. Many of these people are refusing to wear a mask, not maintaining social. I'll also hazard a guess that they've forgotten the the words to Happy Birthday, if they even remembered to wash their hands in the first place.

So with all this failure to contain the spread of the virus, I wouldn't be suprised if as you say the number of deaths are rising. Looks as if the stopping of people coming into contact with each other did keep down the number of deaths wether it be from the coronavirus or the box-standard yearly flu epidemic.

Should only be the people not wearing masks getting it though as the masks are keeping everyone else safe arent they?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Should only be the people not wearing masks getting it though as the masks are keeping everyone else safe arent they?

Are you including all those that don't wear their mask correctly, don't cover their nose. Keep taking their mask on and off. Used the same disposable mask more than once. The same with their cloth mask or not washing it after each use. As being safe?

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Are you including all those that don't wear their mask correctly, don't cover their nose. Keep taking their mask on and off. Used the same disposable mask more than once. The same with their cloth mask or not washing it after each use. As being safe?

No idea I'm not an expert.

Just read on here a few times that if you dont wear a mask your a moron as that is what is going to save us all.

3 weeks later after the introduction of wearing masks and...

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wearing a mask reduces your chance of TRANSMITTING the disease. Licking windows, on the other hand...

Had a good honest meeting with work yesterday about the return to the office and how the manager who chaired this was very keen to get office staff back to work as soon as possible, even though the threat of COVID will still be with us for months to come. Personally I am a big supporter of working from home. If there's a ray of positivity with this situation, it could have seriously improved the lifestyle of office workers like myself.

I told the manager honestly that working from home as brought the best work out of my team. We've been more productive, less people have been off sick, a quick survey showed members of staff's mental health has improved considerably which is fantastic. I'm so pleased even though we're all going through a rough time, my colleagues are feeling better mentally than they ever have. A chap told me he's spent more time with his family now in the last few months than he has in the last 10 years. And that's what improves people at work, feeling happier in life. Not sitting in a gloomy office, spending hours a week commuting and having to listen to office gossip. It drags people down, it's a waste of time and money plus it affects our mental state.

Management think that a lack of face to face communication is poor for building team ethic. I disagreed completely with that statement and I told them so. I agreed that training and important work conversations would be better in an office, you can benefit more from being shown things personally than through technology. Day to day work tasks does not require me to go back to an office though. I can happily get everything done in the comfort of my home. I can talk to colleagues on the phone, face to face meetings through Zoom, we even have a Skype type program where I can instant message colleagues for a quick chat. Why should I spend thousands a year commuting to work, polluting the environment and adding to the awful traffic congestion when I can achieve more when I'm at home. We have a good work team relationship. I'm not buying into this corporate bull crap anymore. 

I saw an article on the BBC website today saying cities could be ghost towns with empty offices, and coffee / sandwich bars could close. This is from the head of the CBI. Maybe these office buildings can be turned into housing that we so desperately need, people being at home has seen a boost in more local towns and small businesses. People are fed up of the normal commute, with our sub par train network and busy roads eating away into pockets. This COVID situation has been a reality check for me. I have never been happier at work, and sadly it's taken a terrible virus to make me realise this. Work from home all the way! ?

20 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Had a good honest meeting with work yesterday about the return to the office and how the manager who chaired this was very keen to get office staff back to work as soon as possible, even though the threat of COVID will still be with us for months to come. Personally I am a big supporter of working from home. If there's a ray of positivity with this situation, it could have seriously improved the lifestyle of office workers like myself.

I told the manager honestly that working from home as brought the best work out of my team. We've been more productive, less people have been off sick, a quick survey showed members of staff's mental health has improved considerably which is fantastic. I'm so pleased even though we're all going through a rough time, my colleagues are feeling better mentally than they ever have. A chap told me he's spent more time with his family now in the last few months than he has in the last 10 years. And that's what improves people at work, feeling happier in life. Not sitting in a gloomy office, spending hours a week commuting and having to listen to office gossip. It drags people down, it's a waste of time and money plus it affects our mental state.

Management think that a lack of face to face communication is poor for building team ethic. I disagreed completely with that statement and I told them so. I agreed that training and important work conversations would be better in an office, you can benefit more from being shown things personally than through technology. Day to day work tasks does not require me to go back to an office though. I can happily get everything done in the comfort of my home. I can talk to colleagues on the phone, face to face meetings through Zoom, we even have a Skype type program where I can instant message colleagues for a quick chat. Why should I spend thousands a year commuting to work, polluting the environment and adding to the awful traffic congestion when I can achieve more when I'm at home. We have a good work team relationship. I'm not buying into this corporate bull crap anymore. 

I saw an article on the BBC website today saying cities could be ghost towns with empty offices, and coffee / sandwich bars could close. This is from the head of the CBI. Maybe these office buildings can be turned into housing that we so desperately need, people being at home has seen a boost in more local towns and small businesses. People are fed up of the normal commute, with our sub par train network and busy roads eating away into pockets. This COVID situation has been a reality check for me. I have never been happier at work, and sadly it's taken a terrible virus to make me realise this. Work from home all the way! ?

I work for a large IT firm - we're finding a lot of our customers wanting to change their work environment post-covid. There seem to be 2 main reasons:

1. They've (shockingly) discovered that their people can be trusted to work at home (and in a lot of cases are more productive); and

2. They're (really) desperate to cut costs so want a smaller office footprint.

When this is all over, I suspect the country will look completely different with home-working becoming the norm for the majority of office staff. I've been home-based for over 10 years - and I've been to my local (as in Birmingham) office a couple of times a year during that time (and some of those have only been for laptop repairs/replacements).....

59 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I wished you were my boss! 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

totally agree, we have been told that we won't be asked to return this side of Christmas. 

I do miss the social interaction and my ideal long term would be to spend say one day a week in the office and the rest at home.

my productivity has increased significantly without having to spend 2 hours a say queuing in traffic. 

I also have a better work life balance.

We need offices for training as you say, new starters and so on.

I do get the concerns about coffee shops and so on, but isn't there always an evolving and changing environment anyway...its up to those businesses that are hit by lack of footfall to diversify,  don't be a blockbuster video. 

I do like my nice coffees, and every now and then something nice from the mobile caterer that comes round, so why not spin round housing estates just like ice cream Van's do. I'd go out and buy from them if they did.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

do like my nice coffees, and every now and then something nice from the mobile caterer that comes round, so why not spin round housing estates just like ice cream Van's do. I'd go out and buy from them if they did.

Great idea.

Mid morning coffee and pastry.

Wish we could work from home permanently with maybe a monthly day at the office/meeting venue to chew the fat in person. 

Got to go back from September as the bosses have pulled the old 'we need face to face meetings' and 'we'll be able to talk through problems better' cards. Even though I'll fundamentally be doing exactly the same as I would be at home, except now in an office of 15 or so in shitty lighting, poor air quality and with a half hour commute each way.

Boils down to a lack of trust in people to not swing the lead I think.

Can't wait to hear about Brenda from HR's latest diet and how Deborah's kids are doing.

Archived