Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, djfred84 said:

They had a proper lockdown though.

Pretty insensitive though, after they spread the virus to the world and lied about it to then be throwing parties whilst some countries are still getting hundreds of deaths from it.

So during a major pandemic, it's deemed to be the best time to scrap Public Health England. Is this because it's not been doing a good job or could it be that an agency, that was set up by a previous tory government under David Cameron leadership, wasn't toeing the party line and giving out to much information. Regarding the testing regime and the track and trace procedures.

Well I suppose someone as to carry the can, for how the coronavirus crisis as been dealt with. 

31 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So during a major pandemic, it's deemed to be the best time to scrap Public Health England. Is this because it's not been doing a good job or could it be that an agency, that was set up by a previous tory government under David Cameron leadership, wasn't toeing the party line and giving out to much information. Regarding the testing regime and the track and trace procedures.

Well I suppose someone as to carry the can, for how the coronavirus crisis as been dealt with. 

Or maybe we want to more effectively deal with this pandemic and prepare for the next one by emulating the success of the Robert Koch Institute in Germany, which is what the new agency will be based on.

Looks like the government is attempting to solve problems prior to them being listed in the inevitable enquiry into the Covid response.

Most of us would probably agree that the initial UK decision making was poor - especially since we were 2 weeks behind the pandemic in Europe. If this helps to fix it for the next wave or next pandemic, then I'm all in favour.

It'd be interesting to see if this new body will be independent - as the RKI is.

13 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Or maybe we want to more effectively deal with this pandemic and prepare for the next one by emulating the success of the Robert Koch Institute in Germany, which is what the new agency will be based on.

Looks like the government is attempting to solve problems prior to them being listed in the inevitable enquiry into the Covid response.

Most of us would probably agree that the initial UK decision making was poor - especially since we were 2 weeks behind the pandemic in Europe. If this helps to fix it for the next wave or next pandemic, then I'm all in favour.

It'd be interesting to see if this new body will be independent - as the RKI is.

Knowing this government it is probably a look over there tactic. Probably to deflect away from boris on holiday when poo has hit the fan and he is nowhere to be seen.

So the new health agency won't be fully up and working until well into next year. The person put in charge of running it, couldn't organise the proverbial enibrated party in a brewery. 

Well that the nation's health in safe hands, if we have a second spike this winter

Johnson along with all his ministers, will be able to take that well earn holiday. That they've been unable to have, with all the hard work they've put in since the start of the year.

13 hours ago, TexasRam said:

A few on here will be cracking open the bubbly reading that 

If everyone wore a mask and socially distanced, then there would be no need for lockdowns. But some people cannot be trusted not to be imbeciles.

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If everyone wore a mask and socially distanced, then there would be no need for lockdowns. But some people cannot be trusted not to be imbeciles.

That's just not true though is it.

The virus can be transmitted via hard surfaces.

Some may even argue that this unnecessary use of face masks has led to people abandoning social distancing which seemed to be working just fine.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Some may even argue that this unnecessary use of face masks has led to people abandoning social distancing which seemed to be working just fine.

Didn't realise some people find it difficult to wear a mask and socially distance at the same time.

Maybe with a bit of training they might manage to wash their own hands and eventually be able to do all three at the same time.

Not a lot to ask of the population if it helps propel us back to anything like normality.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Didn't realise some people find it difficult to wear a mask and socially distance at the same time.

Maybe with a bit of training they might manage to wash their own hands and eventually be able to do all three at the same time.

Not a lot to ask of the population if it helps propel us back to anything like normality.

Just saying what I am seeing.

Since the introduction of masks, the security guards appear to have gone from supermarkets and numbers are not being limited.

I think the mask rule was introduced to give people confidence, not because it stops the virus from spreading.

In my opinion its given a false sense of security and I'm not surprised to see the infection rate going up at all.

Not really fussed so though as to doesnt seem to be translating into deaths.

Think it looks like we have seen the worst of this virus.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not true?

Every single study on the transmission of COVID-19 (and there have been dozens, if not hundreds) has indicated that the greatest danger in by direct transmission via (relatively) large droplets from coughing or sneezing, and then someone inhaling the droplets, and the biggest danger is being indoors with other people in close confinement.

I'm really not sure where you pulled the last line from. I would be interested who the 'some' are who may argue that masks are to blame - I suspect they might not be very bright.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not true?

Every single study on the transmission of COVID-19 (and there have been dozens, if not hundreds) has indicated that the greatest danger in by direct transmission via (relatively) large droplets from coughing or sneezing, and then someone inhaling the droplets, and the biggest danger is being indoors with other people in close confinement.

I'm really not sure where you pulled the last line from. I would be interested who the 'some' are who may argue that masks are to blame - I suspect they might not be very bright.

Well I hope you're right, the virus should have gone in a few weeks then.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I hope you're right, the virus should have gone in a few weeks then.

• Wear a mask when you can
  • Socially distance when you can
  • Wash your hands often

If enough people do the above enough of the time, the virus will fade. The converse is true too - if the virus doesn't fade, it means that not enough of the above conditions are being applied by enough people.

I realise that a few people were rabbiting on about that big water party in Wuhan - but those people (probably aided by big whips and people in Hazmat suits) did effectively eliminate the virus from their community by being diligent. 

Test, trace and isolate is how you get on top of it when you do get outbreaks - and the response to outbreaks has to be local lockdowns.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:
  •  realise that a few people were rabbiting on about that big water party in Wuhan - but those people (probably aided by big whips and people in Hazmat suits) did effectively eliminate the virus from their community by being diligent. 

I don't have a problem with the party. Sounds like people are taking objection which i don't really get. 

Nobody purposely let loose a virus, I believe. 

The people partying did nothing individually wrong. 

They started lockdown first so have dealt with it longer than any other community. 

We will be the same when we are fully free of it. 

18 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Will be replaced by something world beating,,, if only Dom and boris could be persuaded to take over from Gareth Southgate 

Archived