Coronavirus

1of4

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Didn't realise some people find it difficult to wear a mask and socially distance at the same time

@G STAR RAM is right. Right from the beginning of lockdown, and now still, the majority of people who have wore a face mask, that I have seen, have not kept to social distancing. The attitude, it seems to me, is that they are wearing a mask so they are fine, duck anyone else.

I hate going shopping because of the those selfish people. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Didn't realise some people find it difficult to wear a mask and socially distance at the same time.

Maybe with a bit of training they might manage to wash their own hands and eventually be able to do all three at the same time.

Not a lot to ask of the population if it helps propel us back to anything like normality.

As an observation I can tell you that people tend to get closer wearing masks in shop / builders merchants situation as masks impair communication muffling speech ,no semi lip read and expression s

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not true?

Every single study on the transmission of COVID-19 (and there have been dozens, if not hundreds) has indicated that the greatest danger in by direct transmission via (relatively) large droplets from coughing or sneezing, and then someone inhaling the droplets, and the biggest danger is being indoors with other people in close confinement.

I'm really not sure where you pulled the last line from. I would be interested who the 'some' are who may argue that masks are to blame - I suspect they might not be very bright.

I suspect anybody that doesn’t see things your way might not be very bright?. Hmmmm

2 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Travelling by bus and train today. Bus probably 70% wearing face coverings. Train almost 100% in compliance apart one bloke who spent the 20 minutes from New Street to Tamworth yawning, sneezing and hacking up phlegm. 

Sorry about that. I was up all night looking for my mask, then realised I had left it at @Tamworthram's house.

5 hours ago, Archied said:

I suspect anybody that doesn’t see things your way might not be very bright?. Hmmmm

I wouldn't say 'anybody' but I would go as far as saying 'many'.

Basically, my opinions expressed within this thread are based entirely on science and scientific studies - and I think that if you base your opinions on the musings of various internet Karens, or even the man in the pub and dismiss the science, then yes, you are probably not very bright.

It's a sobering thought that if you picture the behaviour and actions of the 'average person', especially when alcohol is involved, then by definition, 50% of the population is more stupid than that.

5 hours ago, rynny said:

@G STAR RAM is right. Right from the beginning of lockdown, and now still, the majority of people who have wore a face mask, that I have seen, have not kept to social distancing. The attitude, it seems to me, is that they are wearing a mask so they are fine, duck anyone else.

I hate going shopping because of the those selfish people. 

I find that quite baffling - the majority? Just how many people have you seen - or is it that you (not you personally - 'people') only notice eejits and those being more respectful go more 'under the radar'? Perhaps people shopping in Tesco, Long Eaton are a little less selfish than elsewhere. OK, we were only in there for half an hour (they are selling off St Louis gueuze at half price), but everyone I saw was courteous and kept a respectable distance away from us.

Perhaps that's because my mask is emblazoned with skulls

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I find that quite baffling - the majority? Just how many people have you seen - or is it that you (not you personally - 'people') only notice eejits and those being more respectful go more 'under the radar'? Perhaps people shopping in Tesco, Long Eaton are a little less selfish than elsewhere. OK, we were only in there for half an hour (they are selling off St Louis gueuze at half price), but everyone I saw was courteous and kept a respectable distance away from us.

Perhaps that's because my mask is emblazoned with skulls

My experience when food shopping, especially before masks were compulsory, was if they were wearing a mask they were going to get in my personal space, never mind stay 2m away. I was shopping Saturday morning, by the time I had reached the end of the first aisle 8 of the 10 people had entered the store around the same time as myself and my 8 year old son had got within 1/2m of us. And that was pretty consistent around the shop. Maybe I am unlucky, maybe it is the store that I visit, maybe I have encountered more people not social distancing because I am younger than you? I don't know, but in my experience more people have been negligent of the social distancing with masks than without. 

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Travelling by bus and train today. Bus probably 70% wearing face coverings. Train almost 100% in compliance apart one bloke who spent the 20 minutes from New Street to Tamworth yawning, sneezing and hacking up phlegm. 

Dont forget those with certain medical conditions dont have to wear a face mask, so 30% not doing could be about right.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Basically, my opinions expressed within this thread are based entirely on science and scientific studies - and I think that if you base your opinions on the musings of various internet Karens, or even the man in the pub and dismiss the science, then yes, you are probably not very bright.

It's a sobering thought that if you picture the behaviour and actions of the 'average person', especially when alcohol is involved, then by definition, 50% of the population is more stupid than that.

Would you say that ALL science and medical so called experts are in agreement? Would you say the gov have stuck to the science or been selective?

on the alcohol issue I won’t argue , having been Tee total for over 25 years I’m fully aware of the stupidity and how right drinkers often believe they are

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Makes you wonder why it was only 6 months into this pandemic that the WHO advised wearing masks, and even the caveated by 'where social distancing isn't possible' if the scientific evidence is so overwhelming.

Surely it wouldn't take 6 months to work out whether masks stopped the virus from spreading.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Dont forget those with certain medical conditions dont have to wear a face mask, so 30% not doing could be about right.

As I've started venturing out more recently. I've noticed that many of the 30% of the population that are unable to wear a mask due to medical conditions, appear to be under 30 years of age. Which is  a bit disconcerting for the future of our nation's health

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

As I've started venturing out more recently. I've noticed that many of the 30% of the population that are unable to wear a mask due to medical conditions, appear to be under 30 years of age. Which is  a bit disconcerting for the future of our nation's health

it's a wide range of conditions in fairness including those with learning difficulties. 

considering 'we' just decided people with learning difficulties were just stupid until relatively recently its probably hard to compare with previous generations. 

OH (in mask) went to drop off a parcel at the local shop, only there about 10 minutes, two other people maskless came in. Why? WTF, a little (enclosed) shop, why can't you put a ducking mask on for 10 minutes? Why not?! What about the poor shopkeeper stuck there all day!???

Archived