Coronavirus

1of4

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

We had a few meals from Morley Hayes delivered during lockdown. I was surprised that more businesses didnt look at take out/delivery.

Although I didnt go a neighbour of mine went regularly to get take out beer from the holly bush in Milford. He told me that despite obviously selling it cheaper the landlord was turning a really good profit because of the reduced overheads, good on them I say. Surely a lot of pubs etc had the same opportunity but chose not to take it for whatever reason.

But in the example, he’s probably furloughed 5-10 staff. He’s most likely taken advantage of any other Government scheme or cash flow as well. Not long term viable (unless he wants to change to a takeaway and make the people redundant) and then he’ll downsize his establishment. 

Anyway, we’ve eaten out as a family again today. Supporting local pubs. Eating out again tomorrow and as this is my two weeks off, trying to do as much as we can to support local tourism/entertainment.

Waterworld in Stoke had zero social distancing (the odd rule excepted such as a one way) but I and everyone else there carried on as normal and loved it.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
26 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But in the example, he’s probably furloughed 5-10 staff. He’s most likely taken advantage of any other Government scheme or cash flow as well. Not long term viable (unless he wants to change to a takeaway and make the people redundant) and then he’ll downsize his establishment. 

Anyway, we’ve eaten out as a family again today. Supporting local pubs. Eating out again tomorrow and as this is my two weeks off, trying to do as much as we can to support local tourism/entertainment.

Waterworld in Stoke had zero social distancing (the odd rule excepted such as a one way) but I and everyone else there carried on as normal and loved it.

I wasnt suggesting it was a long term solution, but just an example of how someone adapted to a situation where others have (apparantly) failed to do.

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

anyway never mind tens of thousands dead and a million unemployed, Holly Willoughby has had to cut short her 7 week holiday to Portugal so she can quarantine...

hope she will be ok, if everyone could perhaps say a little prayer before bed..

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/16/holly-willoughby-forced-quarantine-cuts-holiday-short-amid-travel-restrictions-13135095/

If she adheres to the rule of "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow" I'll clasp my hands tight, hold my palms together and recite all the thoughts and prayers known to mankind. If these requirements are met then she can quarantine at mine if she wants?

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm about to head out for a few beers then a curry, first time since Lockdown.

No one told me a side effect of Covid was shrinking your shirts while they hang in the wardrobe unworn?

Glad it's not just me, 2 stone Covid has caused me to put on, maybe its trying to make me obese before attacking.

23 hours ago, angieram said:

Apologies if this is too political, but I think this article in the Observer is talking about whether getting back to normal after the pandemic is part of the problem.

Absolutely. Environmental collapse and health problems go hand in hand. We can't trust our politicians to do this.

14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've heard preparations are under way for a second full lockdown from Nov until the end of February 2021.

Hopefully this is just good preparation rather than a plan.

Was it from the same poster that told us the EFL hearing result was being published 2 Fridays ago?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was it from the same poster that told us the EFL hearing result was being published 2 Fridays ago?

It really belongs in the unlikely source thread, but isn't football related.

8 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've heard preparations are under way for a second full lockdown from Nov until the end of February 2021.

Hopefully this is just good preparation rather than a plan.

A few on here will be cracking open the bubbly reading that 

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

A few on here will be cracking open the bubbly reading that 

Id be surprised if anyone wants a full lockdown again, especially in the colder darker months.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Id be surprised if anyone wants a full lockdown again, especially in the colder darker months.

I was actually thinking the opposite.

I think people could be more accepting of a lockdown at a time when they were less likely to be going out enjoying themselves. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was actually thinking the opposite.

I think people could be more accepting of a lockdown at a time when they were less likely to be going out enjoying themselves. 

I get that part, at least they wont be packing the beaches. For me i was just thinking, especially as someone who had to shield, that being able to enjoy my outdoor space was significant during the lockdown period.

Sith Happens

Have to say, following having to cancel our trip to france how good everyone has been, we have had a full refund on the accomodation, a credit voucher to use on eurotunnel, and a full refund on a non-refundable hotel in france.

It is a shame we cant go to france as the area we were travelling to would no doubt have been safe, but i guess who can prove i wont take day trips to higher risk areas.

Oh well...next year maybe.

35 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Are you kidding there’s a few who seem to want lock down forever and anyone who wants normality back is declared a flat Earther 

4 minutes ago, djfred84 said:

Love how you generalize people. 

Thanks, me too. However wouldn’t generalise mean I’d said everyone not a few? 

On 16/08/2020 at 10:36, Paul71 said:

We had a few meals from Morley Hayes delivered during lockdown. I was surprised that more businesses didnt look at take out/delivery.

Although I didnt go a neighbour of mine went regularly to get take out beer from the holly bush in Milford. He told me that despite obviously selling it cheaper the landlord was turning a really good profit because of the reduced overheads, good on them I say. Surely a lot of pubs etc had the same opportunity but chose not to take it for whatever reason.

I think a couple of pubs were doing a better Friday night trade than what they were doing before the lockdown! Got a mate who’s a brewer and he delivered a few times to Holly Bush as they were going through casks at a ridiculous rate.

For some pubs it worked amazingly well, others got on the idea and had a couple of great weeks before it fizzled out. It was really dependent on repeat custom for pubs and if you don’t have a decent set of regulars who are going to buy 2-3 pints on a weekend with some added passing trade it’s not going to work. Similar has happened with the drive thru gigs thing that was attempted, once the initial buzz goes away it’s hard to keep interest.

I’m really surprised a decent app hasn’t been developed for the specific purpose of getting beer delivered/click and collected from pubs (id argue the deliveroos and others haven’t really worked)

Archived