Coronavirus

1of4

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The second wave has nothing to with people getting together and local/regional spikes as others have said, this is still the first wave.

The second wave is when it returns in combination with the flu.

It was expected/hoped that the warmer weather would see a lull start in May, but that hasn't happened in places like Texas and here in Florida.

About a week ago most States were in decline, now over 30 are spiking again.

My wife had the husband, mother-in-law (who has been admitted to hospital) and father-in-law of her tech test positive this week.

The tech, as well as my wife and the other doctor (her best friend) in that office were tested today and they're waiting to hear back.

If any one of them is positive - and clearly the tech is most likely as her husband is positive - then a practice gets shut down just like that and I start to kack my pants.

And that's one of the reasons it's so dangerous in combination with the flu because of the massive strain it puts on health resources. Waaaaay more than it was first time round when it hit as flu season was dying out.

Everything I read (from serious sources) and everything I'm told from my wife and her friends suggests this thing may not have got going yet.

The fall is going to be brutal.

I was with you until you called it the fall....be off with you 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paul71 said:

I was with you until you called it the fall....be off with you 

It's funny because I've lived her 14 years and when I go home people can hardly tell.

My wife otoh, because she works with Americans (I work on my own) has picked up loads of American pronunciations and people notiuce immediately.

I do use American words and when I ask for things like tuna I'll say tooner, or warder instead of water because it gets tiresome explaining yourself all the time.

But I revert straight back when I'm at home or talking to family members.

I may well have failed CSE in French, which is no mean achievement, but I like to think I'm finally bilingual.

Or I did until I made that rookie mistake.

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The second wave has nothing to with people getting together and local/regional spikes as others have said, this is still the first wave.

It was expected/hoped that the warmer weather would see a lull start in May, but that hasn't happened in places like Texas and here in Florida.

My wife had the husband, mother-in-law (who has been admitted to hospital) and father-in-law of her tech test positive this week.

The tech, as well as my wife and the other doctor (her best friend) in that office were tested today and they're waiting to hear back.

If any one of them is positive - and clearly the tech is most likely as her husband is positive - then a practice gets shut down just like that and I start to kack my pants.

And that's one of the reasons it's so dangerous in combination with the flu because of the massive strain it puts on health resources. Waaaaay more than it was first time round when it hit as flu season was dying out.

Everything I read (from serious sources) and everything I'm told from my wife and her friends suggests this thing may not have got going yet.

Sorry to hear that, Bob. 
Fingers crossed and best wishes for a positive outcome (not a positive test result of course... you know what I mean!)

Assuming "fall" refers to "Autumn" (What are you Yanks like!), I fear you may well be right.  I have nothing to back up my fears, but I am certain we are far from being in the clear just yet!

If you were Donald Pleasence, and I was Steve McQueen (The handsome one, obvs!), I'd say we haven't even reached the prison camp fence yet, let alone the Barbed wire barricades!

All the best with the test results.  
xxx

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yes Brighton Council, because warnings are going to stop it. Start fining people, it's the only way. Often a complete lack of bins as well.

With that many people doing it how do you start? How safe would it be for the staff doing it? Lack of bins - although I'm sure I've seen a picture of an empty bin with rubbish left around it - is to encourage people to take their rubbish home, not to dump it around a full bin.

8 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I'm lucky enough to live close to several nice places to walk - it's always been a problem, but since lockdown began, local dog owners have delighted in decorating the trees and bushes with little black bags - despite there being numerous doggy doo-doo bins. Obviously they don't want to suffer the indignity of carrying their animals faeces a few hunderd feet so 'dispose' of it as soon as possible - in bags that aren't biodegradable and therefore can (literally) hang around for years. I love dogs but detest most dog owners.....

I agree with you. I'm a dog owner and I really can't understand why people leave the little black bags lying around. Who do they think is going to clear it up. There isn't a poo bag fairy. Is it my imagination or has leaving poo bags and general litter around got  worse recently. Me and my partner get so fed up with the litter thrown from cars or dropped by walkers we sometimes go out with a large bin liner and pick it up and take it home to put in our bin or recycling bin. It was drilled into me to never ever drop litter and I drilled it into my kids. It's not difficult is it. I'll get of my high horse now!

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The so-called mass protests involved people who, for the most part, wore masks. I would hazard a guess that the total number of people descending upon Bournemouth exceeded the number involved in all the protests added together by a factor of at least 2 or 3, and I doubt that they had a mask between them.

You may be correct - let's hope so.

I hope so Eddie, but if we can mass gather wearing masks with little risk then open up the football grounds! 

43 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I hope not Bob, only time will tell I guess 

Went for a hike last Sunday.  Ended up with a light lunch sat by the side of Locko Park Lake.  The nearby bin had a sign, saying something along the lines of "Emptied by a small team of volunteers.  Please take your rubbish home with you, if you are able".

"Fair enough", we thought... so we did.  Despite us having to carry it the remaining 2 miles of our walk back to the car, nobody died.  No biggy!

Every day we learn something new about covid 19. Last week there were reports saying that some people who had caught the virus were showing signs of lung damage and it might well be permanent in some cases. Today there was a report linking it with psychosis  and strokes.  What will be discovered next week, next year?Yes we know in some cases it can be a mild infection but it's rather like Russian roulette. It can effect anybody regardless of ethnicity or age. So why are some people so cavalier in their behaviour? Even if they don't care about themselves or think they are invincible they ought to think of others. These mass gatherings are totally unacceptable.

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Locko Park Lake

Spent my youth there chasing the mystical Carp that swam in the waters, a beautiful place ?

Sith Happens
47 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yes Brighton Council, because warnings are going to stop it. Start fining people, it's the only way. Often a complete lack of bins as well.

a lack of bins is never an excuse

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

a lack of bins is never an excuse

I'm not excusing it, I'd like to see more though.

What in life acts as a big enough deterrent to stop doing something? Make a speeding ticket a £2000 fine and I would dam make sure I wouldn't speed.

Make it an automatic jail sentence for breaking a lock down  rule and I would definitely make sure I didnt.

When the deterrant becomes higher than the risk the behaviours change. Plenty of areas in life where I would be  more than happy to employ folk who are allowed to issue fines, and littering is one of them. People who drop fag butts, it's disgusting.

I've been reliably informed that visitors illegally parked near 'Carvers Rocks' near Ticknall, for the sake of a £3 all day official parking ticket, have had their vehicles towed to a compound by the Police. No excuses accepted,  towed away. That'll be £3 they'll wish they'd paid.. 

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Sorry to hear that, Bob. 
Fingers crossed and best wishes for a positive outcome (not a positive test result of course... you know what I mean!)

Assuming "fall" refers to "Autumn" (What are you Yanks like!), I fear you may well be right.  I have nothing to back up my fears, but I am certain we are far from being in the clear just yet!

If you were Donald Pleasence, and I was Steve McQueen (The handsome one, obvs!), I'd say we haven't even reached the prison camp fence yet, let alone the Barbed wire barricades!

All the best with the test results.  
xxx

So basically you're saying I'm fat, bald and have dodgy eyesight?

<Bob furtively scans the road with his poor vision and backs nervously away from the window knowing if he was indeed being surveilled they could have pitched a tent on his lawn and he'd not have noticed> 

10 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

I agree with you. I'm a dog owner and I really can't understand why people leave the little black bags lying around. Who do they think is going to clear it up. There isn't a poo bag fairy. Is it my imagination or has leaving poo bags and general litter around got  worse recently. Me and my partner get so fed up with the litter thrown from cars or dropped by walkers we sometimes go out with a large bin liner and pick it up and take it home to put in our bin or recycling bin. It was drilled into me to never ever drop litter and I drilled it into my kids. It's not difficult is it. I'll get of my high horse now!

York council have an interesting approach:

3092E244-9EFE-4A0A-B832-BAB346C4425B.jpeg

Archived