Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Maybe because now they're in schools the virus is likely to spread to anyone the infected have come into contact with at the schools? Just a guess mind. We'll know in about a fortnight I guess.

Is it anymore likely to spread in school than it is when they go to the supermarket?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is it anymore likely to spread in school than it is when they go to the supermarket?

It's going to have exactly the same contagious level. What will be different is the probability due to the kids not respecting social distancing in the same way as they would at the supermarket 

25 minutes ago, richinspain said:

It's going to have exactly the same contagious level. What will be different is the probability due to the kids not respecting social distancing in the same way as they would at the supermarket 

From what I've seen over here, its adults that have more trouble than kids respecting social distancing.

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

From what I've seen over here, its adults that have more trouble than kids respecting social distancing.

You seem to have very obedient kids.

Not sure how teachers are going to be able to stop 5 years touching, washing and sanitising hands after coughing or sneezing, stopping them putting their fingers in mouth or nose etc.

When a kid is ill at school, they all seem to get it. They have to be off for 2 days if they vomit so stop them all catching it. Colds and coughs go round the kids and parents regularly.

I'm still far convinced that opening schools for 2 years of kids for 6 weeks or so is going to provide any benefit vs the risk of infections spiking again. Wouldn't it be good to have a proper tracking and tracing system in place before re-opening? Plus a testing process that we know is efficient and works?

If we want to help get the economy going again, why not let the kids of parents who need to return to work again go to school?

After the disaster we have seen with care homes, plus our terrible death count over the last 2 months, I think many of the public are going to be rightly wary in believing official advice.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You seem to have very obedient kids.

Not sure how teachers are going to be able to stop 5 years touching, washing and sanitising hands after coughing or sneezing, stopping them putting their fingers in mouth or nose etc.

When a kid is ill at school, they all seem to get it. They have to be off for 2 days if they vomit so stop them all catching it. Colds and coughs go round the kids and parents regularly.

I'm still far convinced that opening schools for 2 years of kids for 6 weeks or so is going to provide any benefit vs the risk of infections spiking again. Wouldn't it be good to have a proper tracking and tracing system in place before re-opening? Plus a testing process that we know is efficient and works?

If we want to help get the economy going again, why not let the kids of parents who need to return to work again go to school?

After the disaster we have seen with care homes, plus our terrible death count over the last 2 months, I think many of the public are going to be rightly wary in believing official advice.

I have obedient kids because they understand that staying 2m away from people helps them stop getting a disease? In normal circumstances they are actually not very obedient but thank the lord they seem to have a bit of common  sense.

10 year old never had a day off poorly, 7 year old had 2 days off I think.

Comparing care homes to schools is pointless. People are in care homes because they are vulnerable and are much more likely to be affected by the virus.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I have obedient kids because they understand that staying 2m away from people helps them stop getting a disease? In normal circumstances they are actually not very obedient but thank the lord they seem to have a bit of common  sense.

Comparing care homes to schools is pointless. People are in care homes because they are vulnerable and are much more likely to be affected by the virus.

I meant the process of what has happened with care homes. How can we trust the science/decision makers on the safety of schools when they failed so abysmaly on care homes. 

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I agree with that.

However, trying to teach a ten year old to understand social distancing is very different to a four or five year old. I have absolutely no idea how a reception teacher is supposed to safely teach a class of children at the minute.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're probably correct in general, but spending 4 or 5 continuous hours with friends/classmates is not the same as half an hour in a supermarket under parental supervision.

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree with that.

However, trying to teach a ten year old to understand social distancing is very different to a four or five year old. I have absolutely no idea how a reception teacher is supposed to safely teach a class of children at the minute.

cattle prod?

56 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I meant the process of what has happened with care homes. How can we trust the science/decision makers on the safety of schools when they failed so abysmaly on care homes. 

So what do you propose? Everyone now take matters into their own hands and do what they think is best?

Not sure that is too good an idea when such a large number of people dont even know what stay alert means.

FWIW I have no problem with people who dont want to send their kids back to school but lets be honest it will be purely based on what the media is spewing out, and I trust them about as much as you trust the Government.

A very Senior GP on Breakfast today stated very clearly that the evidence is that children do not spread the virus and will not bring it into a home. At same time an Australian study has come up with evidence to the same effect. Germany has not seen a spike since schools went back and neither has Belgium.

France has a surge BUT they think it was pre opening and haven't said it was children affected. None of the public data indicates at what point a child becomes an adult in Virus terms which is a bit worrying.

the issue for me is the parents of Primary kids at drop off and pick up time spreading it amongst each other. 

But I am also worried the politicians are confusing the population, that the usual political point scoring is happening already at almost all levels from Devolved Government down to Party, Unions, Mayors, Councillors . Pathetic really, if you have ideas share them don't just snipe.

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

A very Senior GP on Breakfast today stated very clearly that the evidence is that children do not spread the virus and will not bring it into a home. At same time an Australian study has come up with evidence to the same effect. Germany has not seen a spike since schools went back and neither has Belgium.

France has a surge BUT they think it was pre opening and haven't said it was children affected. None of the public data indicates at what point a child becomes an adult in Virus terms which is a bit worrying.

the issue for me is the parents of Primary kids at drop off and pick up time spreading it amongst each other. 

But I am also worried the politicians are confusing the population, that the usual political point scoring is happening already at almost all levels from Devolved Government down to Party, Unions, Mayors, Councillors . Pathetic really, if you have ideas share them don't just snipe.

At some stage, we have to return to something like normality because if we don't, a virus which kills a relatively low percentage of the population will be as nothing compared to the damage and death caused by the economic and social issues associated with a zero risk approach. 

No-one is saying there is no risk attached to going back to work or school. 

However, as a race, we have to do what is right for our survival and I'm afraid there will be casualties along the way which is horrendous for individuals but a consequence of our pragmatic approach. 

I know that sounds callous and comes from someone who hasn't lost anyone to the disease. 

However, I do have an at risk granddaughter who's ten and I know how desperately she wants to get back to school. 

This is getting her down. Her parents, who have so much to lose, want her to go back for her wellbeing. 

We can do this if we are all careful. 

56 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Spot on.

I see Scotland are going to be teasing lockdown, so soon after Nicola Sturgeon was telling everyone how reckless it was!

Surely she wasnt just political point scoring?

The quarantine has strained many marriages but for some of us it has enhanced our relationships. I’m extremely lucky to have the most amazing and loving wife.

She is so caring that last night I woke up whilst she was holding a pillow over my face so I didn’t catch COVID-19 ❤️

Countries use different methods of counting Covid19 deaths, still if one compares how Sweden stands in comparison to other Nordic countries, their approach of herd immunity has been disastrous so far.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on.

I see Scotland are going to be teasing lockdown, so soon after Nicola Sturgeon was telling everyone how reckless it was!

Surely she wasnt just political point scoring?

Teasing lockdown that's cruel. 

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

Countries use different methods of counting Covid19 deaths, still if one compares how Sweden stands in comparison to other Nordic countries, their approach of herd immunity has been disastrous so far.

Just goes to support the point made by the government etc that it's not easy to compare countries. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Just goes to support the point made by the government etc that it's not easy to compare countries. 

Unless all deaths are recorded and measured in the same way, its all pointless data.

Interesting way is to compare excess deaths against the 5-year average and see what that provides as answers for all countries.

Archived