Coronavirus

1of4

53 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Conundrum.. Father-in-laws birthday on Wednesday.. Well into his 80s now and of an era where they were possibly made of sterner stuff.. Safe to say he is struggling staying in but been brilliant doing so. We get the shopping etc so he does not have to. 
Walkable distance from us and we were thinking about walking round (daily exercise as normal), taking a bottle of red and sitting in his front garden and having a glass with him. Normal distancing rules apply. 
Not essential  in the greater scheme of things but would mean the world to him. 
I would say that’s acceptable is only for his sanity and the wife’s.. And mine as well, love the old git really.

Yes or No?

It would be a very easy no if the government weren’t ok  ing things far more likely to spread virus that were far less important,, as it is the rules say no but I for one am not about to judge anyone wrestling with what is the right thing to do in their own personal situation s if they are very very sensible in what they do ,,, now people being Fuxing stupid and stunningly selfish as some we are seeing is a very different matter

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

So anyone who has lost or are in danger of losing loved ones or friends should just give their heads a wobble and tell themselves to appreciate the great work done by the government because other countries have handled the crisis even more poorly we have.

How ducking absurd is that! When you're burying a child, spouse or parent, let's see how ducking charitable you feel then, eh! 

Hindsight is great. Would you be one that criticised a massive over reaction from the Government. Would a different government have taken alternative advice from different experts? And smoking 86 a day won’t help you one bit the pancakes shouldn’t matter though.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

You are right, I cannot understand why we are not checking, maybe it is only a temperature check and in most cases nothing shows up? I went to Milan just before this kicked off and was checked there, nothing when I came back home.

The number of flights has greatly reduced, where quite a few Milan and Rome flights per day, now there is probably only 1 or 2 between the carriers.. NY, loads every day, now a handful. We still need those flights to fly for the cargo aspect alone. BA we’re grounding 90% of its fleet, others similar. 

But back to your original point, I see no reason now for anybody to needs to travel. Repatriation flights have been laid on but if people  could not get back before now, then more fool them.

As a frequent flyer, I have no intention of getting on a plane for some time yet.

I agree flights have greatly reduced but it’s criminal we haven’t closed the borders imo. 

Same here I’m a frequent flyer but don’t suspect I’ll be travelling for a while yet ?

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm going to say something here that a lot of people are going to consider to be crass and insensitive.

The death statistics, terrible though they are, can be largely ignored as an indicator as to how the disease is progressing throughout the country because they are no longer relevant - just about every one of those 917 would have been infected before the lockdown. The numbers which really count going forward are the new infections. If they were to continue to increase exponentially, then we would be looking at a million deaths or more in the UK by the end of the year - and if that does happen, then it means that social distancing just hasn't worked.

Yep totally useless ,, now if they were to collate those deaths and put together / publish the daily deaths for the days they happened ,even if we were running a bit behind we would have half a chance of seeing the true pattern ,, why that’s not the aim is totaly beyond me,

we need deaths to be recorded against the day they occurred 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm going to say something here that a lot of people are going to consider to be crass and insensitive.

The death statistics, terrible though they are, can be largely ignored as an indicator as to how the disease is progressing throughout the country because they are no longer relevant - just about every one of those 917 would have been infected before the lockdown. The numbers which really count going forward are the new infections. If they were to continue to increase exponentially, then we would be looking at a million deaths or more in the UK by the end of the year - and if that does happen, then it means that social distancing just hasn't worked.

Much of that I can agree with Eddie.  There is a little bit of encouragement with the Spain and Italy figures on infection slowdown.  

My concern, and it must be more for you, is that this disease isn’t going to go away until a vaccine is available, and it then effectively becomes treatable like a ‘flu’.  Even when some lockdown restrictions are lifted I can’t see any way that 2020 is going to be anything but avoid human contact if you don’t want to risk catching the disease. For the most vulnerable 1.5m, and others who are terrified by the risk, that effectively means being housebound all year.

Conundrum.. Father-in-laws birthday on Wednesday.. Well into his 80s now and of an era where they were possibly made of sterner stuff.. Safe to say he is struggling staying in but been brilliant doing so. We get the shopping etc so he does not have to. 
Walkable distance from us and we were thinking about walking round (daily exercise as normal), taking a bottle of red and sitting in his front garden and having a glass with him. Normal distancing rules apply. 
I would say that’s acceptable is only for his sanity and the wife’s.. And mine as well, love the old git really.

Yes or No?

Yes

I went out for 1.5 hour bike ride for the first time in a couple of weeks.

there was not a lot of traffic. Few cyclists. But loads of pedestrians. Probably 50 groups. Mostly observing social distancing but not always. The worst street was Chapel Street Holbrook, with people queuing for the corner shop. One woman was walking down Portway on the white lines in the middle of the road. If the virus doesn’t get you Love, a delivery van might. 

Yes or No?

If everyone's in good health and you sit far enough apart  (I'd even go so far sit so your Father-in-law wasn't downwind of any breeze you might be sitting in!)  I'd say go for it.  

You might end up on the 6 o'clock news as some over zealous copper nicks you but if you take every precaution re. his physical health a birthday drink will help his mental health as well ?

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

Yes. 100%

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

Massive yes from me. Keep a good distance away and let the old fella give you the appropriate stick for marrying his daughter!

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Normal distancing rules apply. 

Yes or No?

Fairly essential imho. So definitely yes, but sit downwind! ?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont let it stop you.

I've not added any value to the forum for 10 years but I never let it stop me ?

That was my first thought! Are we supposed to be adding stuff of value???

I've made a terrible mistake.

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I am neither sticking up for the Government nor the media, but you do have to analyse the performance of our Government Officials, NHS Heads and Scientific Bods on a pan-European basis, rather than in a bubble. Other than Germany, how are we doing per 1m population on deaths, hospital admissions and intensive care numbers? Our Government has been a little less ‘draconian’ than many, and given our people a few more freedoms. A minority of Bamfords don’t seem to care, but generally speaking, it doesn’t seem to be skewing the numbers. I don’t think our key indicators are significantly out of line with our European brethren are they?

Government would be  blamed whatever they did here. No win situation.

Didnt join the EU Ventilation scheme - the one that hasn't delivered a single ventilator to any country in Europe.

Furlough scheme introduced very quickly at 80% - much higher rate than other countries, in Germany its 60% (67% for families).

Still an element of freedom - you're not banned from leaving your house. Spain, France, Italy all have more severe restrictions and just imagine living in China.

PPE - was always going to be issues but I read on Twitter the many hospitals which are perfectly OK. This is ignored as it's not fashionable for the media.

The media dont realise yet just how important they are. Every story is negative, attacking and striking fear. The good stuff we see is pushed into the darker reaches to find, the 100 year olds who fight it off, etc. I hate this about our country. Even the BBC should do better.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Government would be  blamed whatever they did here. No win situation.

Didnt join the EU Ventilation scheme - the one that hasn't delivered a single ventilator to any country in Europe.

Furlough scheme introduced very quickly at 80% - much higher rate than other countries, in Germany its 60% (67% for families).

Still an element of freedom - you're not banned from leaving your house. Spain, France, Italy all have more severe restrictions and just imagine living in China.

PPE - was always going to be issues but I read on Twitter the many hospitals which are perfectly OK. This is ignored as it's not fashionable for the media.

The media dont realise yet just how important they are. Every story is negative, attacking and striking fear. The good stuff we see is pushed into the darker reaches to find, the 100 year olds who fight it off, etc. I hate this about our country. Even the BBC should do better.

My sister and brother in law both sent a picture of them in their PPE they weren’t complaining apart from my sister said she couldn’t see bugger all because her mask kept steaming up.

Sobering stats about this disease. Just downloaded from BBC webpage:

Breakdown of UK patients in critical care

Richard Warry - BBC News

An analysis of 3,883 Covid-19 patients admitted to 229 critical care units in England, Wales and Northern Ireland up to Thursday has been published by the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre.

Of these patients, 871 have died, 818 have been discharged, and 2,194 were last reported as still receiving critical care.

The average age of the patients was 59.8 years. Some 72.5% were male, and 27.5% female. Some 66.4% were white, 14.4% Asian, 11.9% black, and 1.3% of mixed race.

Nearly three-quarters of the patients had a body mass index higher than the recommended healthy level of 18.5 to 25. Some 35% had a BMI of 25 to 30 - the overweight range. And 38.5% had a BMI over more than 30 - putting them in the obese range. 

93.2% had previously been able to live without assistance in daily activities. Only 6.7% previously needed some assistance, and just three needed total assistance.

Focusing on the 1,053 patients who needed advanced respiratory support, the average age on admission was 61.9 years. 73% were male, 27% female. Out of this group, 66.3% died, and 33.7% are alive.

Examining the final outcome for patients admitted to critical care, for the 133 aged 16-39, 76.7% were discharged alive, and 23.3% died. For the 484 aged 60-69, 43.6% were discharged alive, and 56.4% died. For the 434 aged 70-79, 31.3% were discharged alive, and 68.7% died. And for the 107 aged over 80, 27.1% were discharged alive, and 72.9% died.

Archived