Coronavirus

1of4

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Referencing back to a conversation the other week...I popped to the mini - Sainsburys near me for bread, milk abd chocolate. On arrival my heart sank at the enormous queue snaking round the block. I stood contemplating if I could do without...and a young woman just sidestepped around me and walked straight in. No one else seemed to mind and I wondered why they were all so calm when it was really hacking me off. 

It slowly dawned on me that there was NO queue for Sainsburys...but it was for the hardware store next-door!!! At least 25 people were in a queue outside this small shop. They sell paint, basic tools and a few bit of gardening stuff, nothing big. 

I happily went into Sainsburys and got my stuff...but it did take me back to the 'essential' shopping discussion we had around the nature of driving to the countryside for a walk. I am still sticking to the rules but as I came back out of the shop as I watched people filling their cars with plant pots and compost it did grate a little I can't drive 10 mins up the road to find a quiet place to walk. 

Perhaps they are all fans of 50 shades of grey??

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

It is also the case that some airline slots are allocated for a period of time under a 'use it or lose it' system - if the airline does not use a route, then the authorities can re-allocate that slot to a different airline, so the flight might have no passengers.

I think that has been suspended for the duration.

The daily stats we see they are depressing. Confirmed cases is pointless as it is a dependency of the no of tests done (which also has a 2 day lag).

Deaths is pretty clear, 

What would cheer me up is if they published the numbers of people discharged from Hospital,  ICU or ventilators, the winners!

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The daily stats we see they are depressing. Confirmed cases is pointless as it is a dependency of the no of tests done (which also has a 2 day lag).

Deaths is pretty clear, 

What would cheer me up is if they published the numbers of people discharged from Hospital,  ICU or ventilators, the winners!

I agree, that would raise a few spirits. The danger is though that the bamfords that already think they're invincible, and therefore ignore the restrictions, may be joined by many more who think there's no real risk even if they catch it. 

My next door neighbour is a keen fisherman ,one of his mates owns a large fishing tackle shop and like most sectors a lot is made in China .His mate went to an exhibition in China late last year when he came back he remarked to my neighbour that there was a bug going round and it was killing people .

This guy subsequently when down with Covid 19 symptoms as did my neighbour and wife .All three had a long lasting cough and would wake in a morning in a pool pf sweat .

He would dearly like an antibody test to see if it was Covid 19.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree, that would raise a few spirits. The danger is though that the bamfords that already think they're invincible, and therefore ignore the restrictions, may be joined by many more who think there's no real risk even if they catch it. 

Yeah I get your point: Although if you trust this data the recovered figure for UK is pathetic and would scare you even more.: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries.

Wish I hadn't looked now. Where's my Single Malt gone?

PS Hand Sanitiser has to be 60% proof. A decent Scotch is 45% but I think its effective if you take it orally? 

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Have a look at Flight Radar 24, then check some pictures of the arrivals lounge. That’s not flights with no passengers Freight or medical supplies 

I just have. I have never seen the UK airspace so unpolluted by aircraft. At the time of writing, within 100 miles of where I live, there is one flight from Heathrow to LA plus five private/small/freight aircraft shuttling around Birmingham, EMA and Doncaster. A couple have flight paths going back and forth in a grid pattern, i.e flying lessons.

33 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Deaths is pretty clear, 

Whilst I agree we need some light at the end of the tunnel, the selfish dimwits might take it as a signal that the danger is passed and they can relax. It's going to be interesting seeing how many are sunning themselves on the beach this weekend.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Whilst I agree we need some light at the end of the tunnel, the selfish dimwits might take it as a signal that the danger is passed and they can relax. It's going to be interesting seeing how many are sunning themselves on the beach this weekend.

Or like these idiots.

Well done to the Nurse who did this. 

44 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Deaths is pretty clear, 

Deaths is very very far from clear 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I just have. I have never seen the UK airspace so unpolluted by aircraft. At the time of writing, within 100 miles of where I live, there is one flight from Heathrow to LA plus five private/small/freight aircraft shuttling around Birmingham, EMA and Doncaster. A couple have flight paths going back and forth in a grid pattern, i.e flying lessons.

Oh look air Alitilia flight just landed at London Heathrow from Rome !!!.......I see no ships Eddie I see no ships ?

EB107AF8-DEB0-488A-9688-50F49BDDA5FC.png

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The danger is though that the bamfords that already think they're invincible, and therefore ignore the restrictions, may be joined by many more who think there's no real risk even if they catch it. 

Yes, which is why I find the often repeated argument presented on here really annoying - I.e. that the people dying would have died anyway; that the stats are exaggerated ; that there are no more deaths than normal etc etc. Fake news emboldens those whose behaviour puts others at risk.

However, without a vaccine we probably cannot contain this thing and ultimately we will all be tested by the virus in the “plague culling” phase of the epidemic. those who cannot live with the virus are eliminated. those who survive will then carry the virus embedded into the human genome to do whatever secondary damage it may happen to do ; (auto-immune diseases etc). 

at the moment the concentration of cases seems to about 1000 per 1 million of population.

So there is still a long way to go.

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yes, which is why I find the often repeated argument presented on here really annoying - I.e. that the people dying would have died anyway; that the stats are exaggerated ; that there are no more deaths than normal etc etc. Fake news emboldens those whose behaviour puts others at risk.

However, without a vaccine we probably cannot contain this thing and ultimately we will all be tested by the virus in the “plague culling” phase of the epidemic. those who cannot live with the virus are eliminated. those who survive will then carry the virus embedded into the human genome to do whatever secondary damage it may happen to do ; (auto-immune diseases etc). 

at the moment the concentration of cases seems to about 1000 per 1 million of population.

So there is still a long way to go.

Again has to be pointed out that myself and family abiding by rules , but there really has to be the option to question wtf is going on when a person can crowd onto a tube train to go to a building site where there’s NO chance of proper self distancing but can be made to feel like a social menace and or arrested for jumping in a car to drop off supplies or even just sit at social distance in a garden of elderly parents and give them the support and interaction the perhaps desperately need 

39 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Yeah I get your point: Although if you trust this data the recovered figure for UK is pathetic and would scare you even more.: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries.

Wish I hadn't looked now. Where's my Single Malt gone?

PS Hand Sanitiser has to be 60% proof. A decent Scotch is 45% but I think its effective if you take it orally? 

I personally wouldn’t  take too much notice of the recovery rate on that site. I really can’t believe that only 135 (or whatever it is now) have recovered after being hospitalised in the UK. I hope and suspect that this is a piece of data hospitals aren’t so diligent about reporting. 

Just hope I’m right.

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Again has to be pointed out that myself and family abiding by rules , but there really has to be the option to question wtf is going on when a person can crowd onto a tube train to go to a building site where there’s NO chance of proper self distancing but can be made to feel like a social menace and or arrested for jumping in a car to drop off supplies or even just sit at social distance in a garden of elderly parents and give them the support and interaction the perhaps desperately need 

I don’t disagree. 

45 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

He would dearly like an antibody test to see if it was Covid 19.

Apparently I once had glandular fever but knew nothing about it until years later when I tested positive for antibodies for the Eppstein-Barr virus.

Antibody testing tells you both whether you have it now and whether you have had it in the past but, as I understand it, the problem with current tests is that they are not specific enough and also detect antibodies for the four old established, harmless strains of corinavirus as well as the new nasty mutant strain.

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

As I’ve said before though, it’s about managing/reducing the risk. Just because someone has to do something that is higher risk (for example using the underground although, even here usage has dropped by 94% according to the mayor of London) doesn’t make it OK for someone else to do something that’s much lower risk which can be avoided. 

No one is going to be arrested (in my opinion) for dropping off supplies to a vulnerable person that can’t shop for themselves. Provided they’re polite and courteous (which I accept not all are) I don’t have a problem with police stopping people to enquire about the purpose of their journey.

Archived