Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

Leading on from @Angry Ram's recent post I too now find myself with a conundrum. I have an annoying amount of beer left in the fridge, 5 bottles to be precise. This morning I decided I'd have a night off and now I realise that this was a terrible, terrible mistake. I'm not going to get a delivery now so my question is, is it ok to nip to the shop, putting my family's and many other people's health at risk, just to buy beer?

Yay or nay?

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle entirely.

Sure you may kill the best man, but you help the local economy and make yourself feel better about life.

This is how I see you dealing with the evening.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Archied said:

Do you vape??

Vape beer? No. Similarly, I don't drink e-liquid.

Seriously, my wife and I both vape - 10 years ago she smoked 20 a day and I used to smoke 12.5g of tobacco daily. We both moved to vaping primarily for health reasons, but rat the same time we have probably saved 30 or 40 grand.

2 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Leading on from @Angry Ram's recent post I too now find myself with a conundrum. I have an annoying amount of beer left in the fridge, 5 bottles to be precise. This morning I decided I'd have a night off and now I realise that this was a terrible, terrible mistake. I'm not going to get a delivery now so my question is, is it ok to nip to the shop, putting my family's and many other people's health at risk, just to buy beer?

Yay or nay?

Yah but buy some tomatoes on the way and some paracetamol.. Jobs a goodun.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yah but buy some tomatoes on the way and some paracetamol.. Jobs a goodun.

I did think about driving to the petrol station and fuelling up, for work purposes, and buying a few beers while i was there. But it's Easter Sunday and my tank is full because I've already used that trick twice so I'd just have to pour a fivers worth of diesel on to the floor again and pay for it... which is fine but it's going to start looking suspicious if I do it too often. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Vape beer? No. Similarly, I don't drink e-liquid.

Seriously, my wife and I both vape - 10 years ago she smoked 20 a day and I used to smoke 12.5g of tobacco daily. We both moved to vaping primarily for health reasons, but rat the same time we have probably saved 30 or 40 grand.

It’s not easy to give up fags. I eventually managed it by chewing cherry menthol flavoured chewing gum. But once every blue moon I still wonder about what if / maybe. The thing is I know a cigarette would taste vile after all this time. Absolutely wrecks your lungs too. I’m not sure I’d fancy my chances if this virus gets to me. 

Sith Happens

Morning All, I have a question around Furlough to those that have been placed on Furlough.

Have you been advised what happens with your annual leave/holidays, including bank holidays while you are on furlough. Have read on some legal websites that the consensus seems to be either receive 100% pay for those days you have booked off, inc bank holidays, while on furlough, or carry them forward to use after the furlough period, and that holiday accrues at the normal rate while on furlough.

Just wondered if anyone had any real life examples of what is happening.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Morning All, I have a question around Furlough to those that have been placed on Furlough.

Have you been advised what happens with your annual leave/holidays, including bank holidays while you are on furlough. Have read on some legal websites that the consensus seems to be either receive 100% pay for those days you have booked off, inc bank holidays, while on furlough, or carry them forward to use after the furlough period, and that holiday accrues at the normal rate while on furlough.

Just wondered if anyone had any real life examples of what is happening.

Normal employment law still applies so holidays definitely still continue to accrue.

We are letting people top up their 80% by using 1 day annual leave per week and we are paying this at their full contracted rate of pay.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Normal employment law still applies so holidays definitely still continue to accrue.

We are letting people top up their 80% by using 1 day annual leave per week and we are paying this at the normal rate.

Thanks, if someone on furlough already had say 2 weeks booked off during that furlough period how would that be handled if you dont mind me asking.

31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thanks, if someone on furlough already had say 2 weeks booked off during that furlough period how would that be handled if you dont mind me asking.

Cant say I know the official guidance on that particular point but, as I said, normal employment law continues to apply, therefore I would assume that holidays are taken and paid as set out in a contract.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Cant say I know the official guidance on that particular point but, as I said, normal employment law continues to apply, therefore I would assume that holidays are taken and paid as set out in a contract.

Thanks. Do you mind if i drop you a PM on something? Not asking for any legally binding advice or anything but you appear to have a decent understanding and wouldn't mind an opinion on something.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Thanks. Do you mind if i drop you a PM on something? Not asking for any legally binding advice or anything but you appear to have a decent understanding and wouldn't mind an opinion on something.

ACAS guidance goes on to say that employees can take holiday whilst furloughed, including bank holidays and that they must be paid normal pay for holidays

Yeah no probs re messaging me.

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

It’s not easy to give up fags. I eventually managed it by chewing cherry menthol flavoured chewing gum. But once every blue moon I still wonder about what if / maybe. The thing is I know a cigarette would taste vile after all this time. Absolutely wrecks your lungs too. I’m not sure I’d fancy my chances if this virus gets to me. 

I was a heavy smoker until I contracted H1N1 Swine Flu back in 2009 - collapsed upstairs. An hour later, I was on the way to the hospital and attached to the machine that goes 'Pinggg' - the result was emphysema and considerable lung scarring. Every 2 years since, I have had to have spirometry tests to determine the efficiency of my lungs, which have now just about recovered, but I'm still on 'the list' so it's 12 weeks at home (at least) for me and the missus.

Saying that, I have lost 8 stone in weight in the last couple of years and have never felt so healthy in the last 40 or so years - but like yourself, I don't fancy becoming a 'last column statistic'.

The Mum of one of the nurse's singled out by Boris Johnson for praise has said... 

'"It doesn't matter what patient she's looking after, this is what [Jenny] does and I just find it incredible that she, any nurses, can do this for 12 hours.

"Sit and watch a patient, and twiddle away with all the different knobs to keep their patients alive. It's absolutely amazing'

Tell you what, regardless of what she claims.. it definitely sounds like he got better treatment than I got when I was last in hospital.... 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The Mum of one of the nurse's singled out by Boris Johnson for praise has said... 

'"It doesn't matter what patient she's looking after, this is what [Jenny] does and I just find it incredible that she, any nurses, can do this for 12 hours.

"Sit and watch a patient, and twiddle away with all the different knobs to keep their patients alive. It's absolutely amazing'

Tell you what, regardless of what she claims.. it definitely sounds like he got better treatment than I got when I was last in hospital.... 

Have to say when i was in hospital, and my subsequent care from the NHS has been excellent.

Geez.... the party goers are idiots for sure but was that response necessary?  I hope other more serious crimes get similar treatment once get back to normal.  

Personally, I've never seen so many police in cars or walking in the park since the lockdown.  TBH I can't recall ever seeing a policeman in the park previously.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Geez.... the party goers are idiots for sure but was that response necessary?  I hope other more serious crimes get similar treatment once get back to normal.  

Personally, I've never seen so many police in cars or walking in the park since the lockdown.  TBH I can't recall ever seeing a policeman in the park previously.

It does seem very heavy handed, but we don't know how many people we are talking about or what happened to lead to more police turning up. The fact paramedics were on the scene suggests something more serious than knocking on the door and telling a few kids to scoot off home to mum and dads.

So yes i would say from the 50 second clip shown it does seem disproportionate but we havent seen what happened in the time leading up to that video.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

This is from the email our comapny sent out.

"

What happens if I am on holiday during my period of furlough?

Holiday cannot run concurrent to a period of furlough; you will be deemed therefore, either to be on holiday, or furloughed. Any holiday entitlement which is superseded by days on which you are furloughed shall be re-credited to you to be taken at a time when your furlough has concluded. The Company may stop a period of furlough for holiday to be taken and then re-start furlough once that has happened. This might be the case if you have boked a holiday, or where the Company gives you notice that you are required to take holiday."

18 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Yay or nay?

Everybody’s essential are different, I live with 4 women (3 are Daughters before forum comedians start!) without beer I’d be going crazy......Yay from me, but I’d top up the weekly shop with a couple more cans/bottles next time. 

Archived