Coronavirus

1of4

So anyone who has lost or are in danger of losing loved ones or friends should just give their heads a wobble and tell themselves to appreciate the great work done by the government because other countries have handled the crisis even more poorly we have.

How ducking absurd is that! When you're burying a child, spouse or parent, let's see how ducking charitable you feel then, eh! 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

So anyone who has lost or are in danger of losing loved ones or friends should just give their heads a wobble and tell themselves to appreciate the great work done by the government because other countries have handled the crisis even more poorly we have.

How ducking absurd is that! When you're burying a child, spouse or parent, let's see how ducking charitable you feel then, eh! 

You will find literally zero posts on this thread saying that. 

The general consensus seems to be that we were slow to react, mistakes have been made but this doesnt, as of yet, appear to have caused anything to happen that isnt happening all over the globe.

Sorry to hear about your current plight and, as much as we argue, I genuinely pray that everything works out ok for you and your loved ones ?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

You will find literally zero posts on this thread saying that. 

The general consensus seems to be that we were slow to react, mistakes have been made but this doesnt, as of yet, appear to have caused anything to happen that isnt happening all over the globe.

Sorry to hear about your current plight and, as much as we argue, I genuinely pray that everything works out ok for you and your loved ones ?

On the first point we'll have to agree to disagree, but thank you for your kind words nonetheless. Political differences mean less than nothing to me right now and I believe that's true of the vast majority of folk. I too hope you and yours stay safe and are coping ok with the lockdown. 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

On the first point we'll have to agree to disagree, but thank you for your kind words nonetheless. Political differences mean less than nothing to me right now and I believe that's true of the vast majority of folk. I too hope you and yours stay safe and are coping ok with the lockdown. 

Second that feeling.

It's my daughters 10th birthday today and to say I feel useless is probably the biggest understatement ever!

Lockdown has been a real eye opener for me and my kids on how much we take for granted!

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Sorry I’m not sniping I have no time for that. I also I have absolutely no idea where you live, so can’t gauge where the 100 mile radius would be. 
I’m just pointing out, while we are in lockdown we are allowing people from all over (including highly infected areas) to come into the populous totally unchecked. 

You are right, I cannot understand why we are not checking, maybe it is only a temperature check and in most cases nothing shows up? I went to Milan just before this kicked off and was checked there, nothing when I came back home.

The number of flights has greatly reduced, where quite a few Milan and Rome flights per day, now there is probably only 1 or 2 between the carriers.. NY, loads every day, now a handful. We still need those flights to fly for the cargo aspect alone. BA we’re grounding 90% of its fleet, others similar. 

But back to your original point, I see no reason now for anybody to needs to travel. Repatriation flights have been laid on but if people  could not get back before now, then more fool them.

As a frequent flyer, I have no intention of getting on a plane for some time yet.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You are right, I cannot understand why we are not checking, maybe it is only a temperature check and in most cases nothing shows up? I went to Milan just before this kicked off and was checked there, nothing when I came back home.

The number of flights has greatly reduced, where quite a few Milan and Rome flights per day, now there is probably only 1 or 2 between the carriers.. NY, loads every day, now a handful. We still need those flights to fly for the cargo aspect alone. BA we’re grounding 90% of its fleet, others similar. 

But back to your original point, I see no reason now for anybody to needs to travel. Repatriation flights have been laid on but if people  could not get back before now, then more fool them.

As a frequent flyer, I have no intention of getting on a plane for some time yet.

The non-checking of arrivals from highly infected places earlier this year is a scandal. I don't think there is much point doing it now though as so many people have been infected, what are a few extra people. We are/were not testing NHS staff who are been exposed first hand to coronavirus patients.

Conundrum.. Father-in-laws birthday on Wednesday.. Well into his 80s now and of an era where they were possibly made of sterner stuff.. Safe to say he is struggling staying in but been brilliant doing so. We get the shopping etc so he does not have to. 
Walkable distance from us and we were thinking about walking round (daily exercise as normal), taking a bottle of red and sitting in his front garden and having a glass with him. Normal distancing rules apply. 
Not essential  in the greater scheme of things but would mean the world to him. 
I would say that’s acceptable is only for his sanity and the wife’s.. And mine as well, love the old git really.

Yes or No?

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Conundrum.. Father-in-laws birthday on Wednesday.. Well into his 80s now and of an era where they were possibly made of sterner stuff.. Safe to say he is struggling staying in but been brilliant doing so. We get the shopping etc so he does not have to. 
Walkable distance from us and we were thinking about walking round (daily exercise as normal), taking a bottle of red and sitting in his front garden and having a glass with him. Normal distancing rules apply. 
I would say that’s acceptable is only for his sanity and the wife’s.. And mine as well, love the old git really.

Yes or No?

Yes

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

Personally I would say yes. Not sure what the 'rules' would be on that but, you are allowed excercise and you arent gathering in public in groups.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Second that feeling.

It's my daughters 10th birthday today and to say I feel useless is probably the biggest understatement ever!

Lockdown has been a real eye opener for me and my kids on how much we take for granted!

Sorry to hear that mate. The lad and I were due to go on a fair old road trip this summer after his exams were over as we've not seen one another in weeks. Obviously that ain't happening now and with everything else it's all a bit of a struggle right now. In a fit of pique I managed to kick one of the bathroom doors clean off its hinges last night so I think it's time for a break from the forum until my mood improves, as I can't see me adding anything of value, far from it.

In the meantime, all the best to you and yours and to all my fellow Rams fans.

Take care one and all.

On 10/04/2020 at 13:49, Eddie said:

The government will clamp down harder for longer if selfish idiots do not take this seriously. I'm currently 5 days into my 84-day isolation, because I'm on the 'vulnerable list' (swine flu nearly killed me, and left me with scarred lungs). From a personal point of view, I would like to venture beyond my back door again one day., but if the disease is still rife at the end of June, I imagine I will be told to remain indoors for another 3 months, and that will be hard to take.

How do we know it will be safe to venture outside when they(the goverment)say it is safe to venture outside

Living in Spain we always used to go to the local garage where they serve a very good breakfast think I will feel vulnerable espescially with waitresses standing next to me

29 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

I'd say yes, but I wonder what his neighbours might say if they peer out from behind their curtains and see you having a party in his front garden.

5 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I'd say yes, but I wonder what his neighbours might say if they peer out from behind their curtains and see you having a party in his front garden.

Just be 4 of us. I am sure they won’t want to join. 

33 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Sorry to hear that mate. The lad and I were due to go on a fair old road trip this summer after his exams were over as we've not seen one another in weeks. Obviously that ain't happening now and with everything else it's all a bit of a struggle right now. In a fit of pique I managed to kick one of the bathroom doors clean off its hinges last night so I think it's time for a break from the forum until my mood improves, as I can't see me adding anything of value, far from it.

Take care one and all.

Dont let it stop you.

I've not added any value to the forum for 10 years but I never let it stop me ?

39 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

I'm going to buck the trend here and say a qualified 'no', purely from knowing who I am, knowing what my underlying health problems are and just generally being of the opinion that a bit of risk is too much risk. Don't be a Gove - listen to the experts.

My brother-in-law picked up a 'click and collect' order for me today - he drove from Ilkeston to Long Eaton then to my house, knocked on the door, unloaded all the shopping on to the path, we waved to each other and then he left before we ventured outside, collected the shopping, put the non-perishables into quarantine etc etc. That's how it will be for us for the next 78 days, but Dave will be getting a delivery of half a dozen bottles of really nice whisky at some time in the future.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

This aimed at me?  I am a long way from offering praise to this Government so far, but I do like to offer some balance.

53 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes or No?

Yes, although I would film it all just in case the Met come knocking. You don’t want to end up in cells with your good looks.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Another terrible stat 917 deaths recorded.

I'm going to say something here that a lot of people are going to consider to be crass and insensitive.

The death statistics, terrible though they are, can be largely ignored as an indicator as to how the disease is progressing throughout the country because they are no longer relevant - just about every one of those 917 would have been infected before the lockdown. The numbers which really count going forward are the new infections. If they were to continue to increase exponentially, then we would be looking at a million deaths or more in the UK by the end of the year - and if that does happen, then it means that social distancing just hasn't worked.

51 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Take care one and all.

All the best 86.  Looking forward to you being back soon trying to kick the doors of this forum, and with good news regarding your Girlfriend.

Archived