Goalkeepers

Seaside Ram

6 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Roos puts the fear of god into me everytime I watch him go for a cross  ... imagine being a centre half playing infront of him

As someone else has said coming for crosses and commanding your box is a massive part of being a gk and Roos simply can’t and doesn’t 

Hamer is far far far from perfect but quite simply put when the ball goes into the box I’m about 20% less scared than when Roos is in the sticks.

roos has superior kicking, but if there’s a skillset for gks for me taking crosses and commanding their box trumps distribution 

Safe to we need a new keeper next year I reckon ... amongst many other things lol

I certainly wouldn't disagree that we need a new goalkeeper.

However with reference to the bolded sentences, I think (not just from yourself) there's a certain level of projection going on here.

If you're panicked how must they feel?  Actually I'd Imagine that the centre halves, the experienced professional players, who train with him day in day out are acutely aware of his strengths and weaknesses, more so than your average supporter and are better prepared for it.

Despite you being less scared with Hamer in goal it doesn't statistically translate to us conceding fewer goals when he plays, so maybe your fear is just that? You're naturally feeling on edge when the opposition put the ball in the box so your own heightened level of anxiety is transferred into the players, but is that fair?

It's like those times he takes too many touches (or a heavy touch getting out out of his feet) and is closed down my an attacker, the crowd poo themselves, assume he's just being indecisive, but the absolute worst that comes out of the situation is often just a boot out of play. No major harm done.

More often than not, when he looks like he's about to lose the ball in that situation (and the crowd grumbles accordingly) and despite  nearly being closed down, he'll actually play a good ball out!

The good passes are never remembered though, just the squeeky bums!

Being the complete hypocrite that I am, I'm well aware I rarely extended such courtesy to 'Captain Calamity' Richard Keogh. Although in his case, well, he regained that nickname after Joinersgate!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And maybe time for me to remind everyone that Davies says he wants his keepers to stay on the line and let the centre halves deal with the crosses.

If that's club policy, we need to get behind it and stop bleating on about what football used to be like 40 years ago.

32 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I certainly wouldn't disagree that we need a new goalkeeper.

However with reference to the bolded sentences, I think (not just from yourself) there's a certain level of projection going on here.

If you're panicked how must they feel?  Actually I'd Imagine that the centre halves, the experienced professional players, who train with him day in day out are acutely aware of his strengths and weaknesses, more so than your average supporter and are better prepared for it.

Despite you being less scared with Hamer in goal it doesn't statistically translate to us conceding fewer goals when he plays, so maybe your fear is just that? You're naturally feeling on edge when the opposition put the ball in the box so your own heightened level of anxiety is transferred into the players, but is that fair?

It's like those times he takes too many touches (or a heavy touch getting out out of his feet) and is closed down my an attacker, the crowd poo themselves, assume he's just being indecisive, but the absolute worst that comes out of the situation is often just a boot out of play. No major harm done.

More often than not, when he looks like he's about to lose the ball in that situation (and the crowd grumbles accordingly) and despite  nearly being closed down, he'll actually play a good ball out!

The good passes are never remembered though, just the squeeky bums!

Being the complete hypocrite that I am, I'm well aware I rarely extended such courtesy to 'Captain Calamity' Richard Keogh. Although in his case, well, he regained that nickname after Joinersgate!

I’m just speaking from a supporters point of view 

although having played with a fair few keepers over the years as a centre back... as I’m sure many can claim,  I can confirm there’s some keepers you’d rather behind u when the ball starts being put into the box than others 

I want roos to do well as he’s got some massive attributes, he’s a big lad, decent shot stopper and his distribution imo is very good for this level 

but u can’t have a keeper who flaps so indecisively at crosses as he does  if u want to get anywhere 

who knows maybe it can be coached into him 

59 minutes ago, angieram said:

And maybe time for me to remind everyone that Davies says he wants his keepers to stay on the line and let the centre halves deal with the crosses.

If that's club policy, we need to get behind it and stop bleating on about what football used to be like 40 years ago.

Where’s the fun in that???????

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I thought club policy was no gloves and socks below knees. Now I'm confused.

On 08/03/2020 at 05:15, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

No Would love Cocu to go back to PSV and get Jerome Zoet, Mr reliable for him for 5 years and now shipped out to Utrecht on loan 

I think there is a decent deal to be had there, still only 28 also 

That's a good shout. Zoet is contracted one more year though. Maybe a loan if he is not in PSV's plans? 

You'd assume to have competition for him, he has 11 caps for Netherlands after all.

On 08/03/2020 at 14:33, NottsRam77 said:

although having played with a fair few keepers over the years as a centre back... as I’m sure many can claim,  I can confirm there’s some keepers you’d rather behind u when the ball starts being put into the box than others 

I played Centre Half for a long time in front of a very very good goalkeeper that I totally took for granted. He only knew two words during the game "Keepers" and "Away" and if it was in the box he commanded the situation, put one of those words on it and you reacted accordingly - (if he shouted "keepers" you got the hell out of the way lol - I saw quite a few splatted Centre Forwards wondering what the heck they had just collided with - he wasn't that big either )

As I got older and dropped down the leagues I played in front of some other goalkeepers and it made me realise just how good he was. The real killer was the indecision cos it spreads quicker than this Corona virus.

43 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I played Centre Half for a long time in front of a very very good goalkeeper that I totally took for granted. He only knew two words during the game "Keepers" and "Away" and if it was in the box he commanded the situation, put one of those words on it and you reacted accordingly - (if he shouted "keepers" you got the hell out of the way lol - I saw quite a few splatted Centre Forwards wondering what the heck they had just collided with - he wasn't that big either )

As I got older and dropped down the leagues I played in front of some other goalkeepers and it made me realise just how good he was. The real killer was the indecision cos it spreads quicker than this Corona virus.

So what you're saying is it's communication and decision making which are more important than the ability to catch a cross.

If the CBs are good enough at clearing the danger it doesn't matter if the keeper isn't great at dealing with crosses. In such a scenario, the defenders would know it's their responsibility.

On 08/03/2020 at 14:01, angieram said:

tell that to the ex-champions of Europe........?

Bl....dy hell. 

I’ll have nothing to talk about. ?

Any of the keepers any good?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/70-premier-league-free-agents-3940558

All free agents in the summer...

Artur Boruc, aged 40

Claudio Bravo, aged 36

Willy Caballero, aged 38

Karl Darlow, aged 29

Rob Elliot, aged 33

Ben Foster, aged 36

Heurelho Gomes, aged 39

Joe Hart, aged 32

Stephen Henderson, aged 31

Eldin Jakupovic, aged 35

Adam Legzdins, aged 33

Andy Lonergan, aged 36

Matt Macey, aged 25

John Ruddy, aged 33

Matija Sarkic, aged 22

Maarten Stekelenburg, aged 37

Michel Vorm, aged 36

Hamer's doing alright, better than Roos after his confidence got battered by the boo boys, but I'd still like an upgrade next term. Is Carson still technically ours next year? 

Cocu's going to want a 'sweeper keeper' though, isn't he? It'll be some randomer most of us have never heard of.

I would like to see us pick up a keeper from the lower league, history shows that in time a few will rise through the ranks. I've heard a lot of good things about Alex Bass who has recently won the job as Portsmouth number one. 

It's easy to take a snapshot in time, but you could pick any random year and check the lower leagues. You do see some surprising names. 

In 14-15, the following players played in League One either on loan or otherwise: Jordan Pickford, Sam Johnstone, James Bree, Rico Henry, Mason Holgate, Ben Davies, Jack O'Connell, Kortney Hause, Jack Stephens, Chris Basham, George Baldock, James Tavernier, Joe Bryan, Enda Stevens, Greg Cunningham, Josh Brownhill, John Swift, John Lundstram, Ben Pearson, Sam Clucas, James Maddison, Dele Alli, Bradley Dack, Marcus Maddison, Luke Freeman, Callum Robinson, Jacob Murphy, Bobby Reid, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Ollie McBurnie, Che Adams, Conor Hourihane, Aden Flint, Daniel Johnson, Benik Afobe, Luke Ayling, John Egan, Lyle Taylor, Jack Marriott & Jordan Hugill. 

It's crazy to think that the money some of those players eventually moved for in their career or in some cases linked with. Multiple 8 figure players and a few with England caps to their name - Pickford, Alli, Maddison. Lots of Premier League starters. The talent doesn't just dry up - you look in the lower leagues without devling into it and they're just names. If you watch them, and I mean really watch them, you'll pick up some talent 100%, 

But it’s not club policy. We see Roos flapping, not not coming off his line... 

I could not care less about the stats as, for a goalkeeper in particular, they don’t tell a tenth of the story. He’s very poor on crosses and takes totally unnecessary risks when playing it off the deck. I hate to say it but those are the facts. I sincerely hope that if he gets another chance he’s improved Cos he’s a decent shot stopper and seems fine apart from those two massive issues I’ve mentioned. 

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So what you're saying is it's communication and decision making which are more important than the ability to catch a cross.

No - What I was trying to say is that I took having a dominant keeper who commanded his area very well and clearly for granted because I was lucky to have him behind me for such a long time.

He basically communicated what he was going to do - but also had the ability to do it.

He caught EVERYTHING in the 6 yard box and punched most things between the 6 yard box and penalty spot.

I am sorry if implied that I meant coming out and decisively missing it - that was not my intent ?

Archived