Goalkeepers

Seaside Ram

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Have you seen a keeper at pride park this season who looks as poor as Roos collecting crosses? 

Yes, plenty.

Infact I can't think of many who have looked really commanding in this division.

The majority of keepers seem to want to punch rather than catch these days.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos's main issue at the minute is confidence, which really isn't helped by ironic cheers/ groans whenever he goes near a high ball, either successfully or not. It's surely affecting his decision making. 

Just like Keogh in 2014, it seems Derby fans need to make a scapegoat of someone for the playoff defeat, and unfortunately for him, this time it was Roos.

It was a terrible bit of business by the recruitment team, though that’s nothing to do with where he came from - teams write decent players off and let them go all the time. It’s to do with the fact that we brought in a backup goalie when what we really needed was a new first choice. In fairness, Hamer has actually been slightly better than I originally thought when we signed him - I thought he’d be totally out of his depth if he ever had to play, but I guess he’s looked *capable* at this level. The trouble is, “capable” isn't enough. He’s a low end championship goalie, good enough for a team fighting relegation but no higher than that. In fairness, that’s sadly pretty much where we’ve been at times this season because of off the field issues derailing our season, but when we brought Hamer in the aim was to be far above that level. Simply put, he wasn’t a good enough signing whatsoever given the level we were aiming to reach in the summer.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

It was a terrible bit of business by the recruitment team, though that’s nothing to do with where he came from - teams write decent players off and let them go all the time. It’s to do with the fact that we brought in a backup goalie when what we really needed was a new first choice. In fairness, Hamer has actually been slightly better than I originally thought when we signed him - I thought he’d be totally out of his depth if he ever had to play, but I guess he’s looked *capable* at this level. The trouble is, “capable” isn't enough. He’s a low end championship goalie, good enough for a team fighting relegation but no higher than that. In fairness, that’s sadly pretty much where we’ve been at times this season because of off the field issues derailing our season, but when we brought Hamer in the aim was to be far above that level. Simply put, he wasn’t a good enough signing whatsoever given the level we were aiming to reach in the summer.

You have to guess that Cocu, with limited time and exposure, thought Roos was the solid first choice prior to the season.

Dunno about best or worst in the league but Grant and Carson are miles better than Roos. Miles and miles. Maybe we were spoilt. I dunno. Both had their faults but so much better

People say Roos is a great shot stopper. Is he? He's alright but i wouldn't say he makes an unusual amount of surprising saves or has match winning performances like the Fulham game. 

I think his kicking is decent. 

Crosses and high balls into the box are a massive part of the game. Not being good at this is like being an F1 driver who's really fast in the straight but corners like a tank convoy. 

As for ratings... what do you score a point for? A pass, a save, a shot on target? 

Is every pass a good pass? Every save equal? Every shot on target a good strike? It's all statistics based isn't it? Not useless but it's hardly proof in writing. 

Is there a stat for hospital passes that make it to the target but end in that player losing the ball because he was played into trouble? A stat for punching the ball out to the edge of the box? Or is that a clearance? 

Roos does bizarre dives for shots never going in either. Why? Does he not know where his goal is or does he just like diving?

Anyway, I don't actually find either keeper infuriating. Only commenting because I thought being called a good keeper that isn't good at crosses is an oxymoron.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

You have to guess that Cocu, with limited time and exposure, thought Roos was the solid first choice prior to the season.

Yeah think that was almost certainly the case. Perhaps someone who’d been at the club last year (maybe Shay Given) should have given Cocu a hint to suggest that Roos might not be a reliable first choice, and to potentially look into watching his performances last year and consider signing a new starting goalie.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Grant and Carson are miles better than Roos. Miles and miles.

On average maybe and I'm not disagreeing but both of these had lost their place in the squad due to poor form.

Goalkeepers errors generally matter more than outfield players, obviously.

Hamer and Roos are different keepers. I personally like the latter a lot more and think he's seriously derided because of his tendency to punch rather than catch.

Incidentally, in one of his last appearances for Derby, I was listening to Radio Derby when Steele and Dawes were on commentary and Dawes, like 90% of Derby fans, was seething at sight of Roos punching the ball away. Steele explained why Roos had done it, going into some depth and highlighted the end result and then finished in a flourish giving Dawes a dressing down telling to stick to what he knows, whilst he'll stick to what HE knows - goalkeepers. 

I'm not huge fan of either, but Roos concedes less goals and more clean sheets (better chance to win to nil): 27 in 22 appearances this season, with 7 clean sheets. Hamer has conceded 26 in 18 appearances, with 3 clean sheets. Roos actually has a very good record for Derby over a big sample size: 52 games, 58 conceded and 18 clean sheets. It's pretty much inline with Carson's record at Derby. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Because he stopped stopping simple shots 

because he stopped coming for crosses 

because his distribution was slow and inaccurate 

because we were paying him to much and needed to get him of the wage bill 

Half that stuff there is rubbish. He has always been a fantastic shot stopper. His distribution was good. 

5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Half that stuff there is rubbish. He has always been a fantastic shot stopper. His distribution was good. 

Last season he was poor at shot stopping, just look at the Stoke game away. He let too many goals in that were close to his body, too many that you look at and say "he should have said that, last season he would have saved that."

Hia distribution was poor, how many times did he pick out the opposition right winger looking for our left back? He did it 3 times in the home game against Villa alone. And it was always slow. No urgency in it. (Yes except against Brum, under Rowett, 3 years ago!) 

That fella for QPR collected crossed quite well last nigh. - I noted. - and made a great save on Wages late header

Hamer should have done better on their second goal I reckon (only an opinion)

one point is - we got frustrated when they were passing it round at the back. They have been taught to do that - sweeper keeper and play out of defence. The issue is. - do they have the skill for it.

For me new No 1 next season 

47 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Incidentally, in one of his last appearances for Derby, I was listening to Radio Derby when Steele and Dawes were on commentary and Dawes, like 90% of Derby fans, was seething at sight of Roos punching the ball away. Steele explained why Roos had done it, going into some depth and highlighted the end result and then finished in a flourish giving Dawes a dressing down telling to stick to what he knows, whilst he'll stick to what HE knows - goalkeepers. 

Bear in mind that Steele signed Roos for Derby. 

Archived