Goalkeepers

Seaside Ram

2 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

THAT! That's what I'm talking about. Roos did not do very well in the Huddersfield game, he's absolutely not better at playing out of the back but yes, unfortunately he will still be here.

Roos was appalling at distribution. Do you not remember him dwelling on the ball? The scewed clearances when he got closed down due to dallying? The fact he dropped almost every shot, cross and shot - do you not remember that? Cocu does 'cos he dropped him.

I'll have to rewatch it because the stats say he only passed to the opposition on 4 occasions... and those were all long balls (probably the scewed clearances you talk of). I also only remember him punching some crosses away, but not any drops, so I'll look out for those too.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'll have to rewatch it because the stats say he only passed to the opposition on 4 occasions... and those were all long balls (probably the scewed clearances you talk of). I also only remember him punching some crosses away, but not any drops, so I'll look out for those too.

It's less of a stats thing sometimes - I never get carried away by number of saves, etc 'cos as we know, it doesn't show the complete picture. The bloke just sh!ts me up every time he's near the blinking ball! ?

And with regard to scewed clearances, etc I don't necessarily mean the Hudds game - I mean in most, if not all, of the games he played before. 

For the record; I hope if he comes back into the side he proves me utterly wrong! 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Harsh. He lets in 3.6 out of 10... The worst in the league is 4.8 and best 2.3

Intentional hyperbole, but as much as I like a good stat I'd say that one is about as reliable as, well, Ben Hamer.

Too many variables on the type and quality of shots faced for me to take it at face value.

I really can't think of any examples of him producing an outstanding save where anyone watching was expecting the ball to end up in the net.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, is an average goalkeeper in a league full of average goalkeepers.

You obviously believe that the people who are giving these match ratings are wrong.

So in your opinion, based on all of the matches you must watch, how have they been getting their scores wrong and who are the goalkeepers that should be scoring much higher?

Stats don’t tell the full story for instance if Roos comes flapping 3 or 4 times or dithers on his line and it doesn’t cost a goal then that won’t affect his mark. I go by what I see with my own eyes and in my opinion he is one of the poorest I’ve seen at commanding his box and it makes the whole defence nervy. I do think he is a decent shot stopper and just don’t get why he is so poor on crosses and decision making.

4 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Stats don’t tell the full story for instance if Roos comes flapping 3 or 4 times or dithers on his line and it doesn’t cost a goal then that won’t affect his mark. I go by what I see with my own eyes and in my opinion he is one of the poorest I’ve seen at commanding his box and it makes the whole defence nervy. I do think he is a decent shot stopper and just don’t get why he is so poor on crosses and decision making.

So are these marks just purely based on goals conceded? Not sure your theory ties in with the table?

• 2 weeks later...
steve bloomer
On 26/02/2020 at 10:48, Rambalin said:

Joe Hart's decline is down to too much foreign keeper coaching.

Joe Hart out of contract at end of season.

I'd love him to sign for us next season.

Sell Roos and let Hamer go, he'd be 1st choice.

I wonder if Hart would be after silly money though, I wouldn’t be against him signing for us at all (now I’m daydreaming here) if we could convince Eric Steele to join us an’ all he would be good for Hart and our other goalies come to that, I’m not seeing much improvement in our current custodians so wonder about the gk coach we have in place now...room for improvement I think.

steve bloomer
4 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

gk coach we have in place now...room for improvement I think.

Current gk coach is Shay Given, whom didn't have a bad playing career himself. Do you think Eric should work alongside Shay and help him?

9 hours ago, steve bloomer said:

Joe Hart out of contract at end of season.

I'd love him to sign for us next season.

Sell Roos and let Hamer go, he'd be 1st choice.

No Would love Cocu to go back to PSV and get Jerome Zoet, Mr reliable for him for 5 years and now shipped out to Utrecht on loan 

I think there is a decent deal to be had there, still only 28 also 

On 26/02/2020 at 09:22, Ambitious said:

Hamer and Roos are different keepers. I personally like the latter a lot more and think he's seriously derided because of his tendency to punch rather than catch.

Incidentally, in one of his last appearances for Derby, I was listening to Radio Derby when Steele and Dawes were on commentary and Dawes, like 90% of Derby fans, was seething at sight of Roos punching the ball away. Steele explained why Roos had done it, going into some depth and highlighted the end result and then finished in a flourish giving Dawes a dressing down telling to stick to what he knows, whilst he'll stick to what HE knows - goalkeepers. 

I'm not huge fan of either, but Roos concedes less goals and more clean sheets (better chance to win to nil): 27 in 22 appearances this season, with 7 clean sheets. Hamer has conceded 26 in 18 appearances, with 3 clean sheets. Roos actually has a very good record for Derby over a big sample size: 52 games, 58 conceded and 18 clean sheets. It's pretty much inline with Carson's record at Derby. 

Roos puts the fear of god into me everytime I watch him go for a cross  ... imagine being a centre half playing infront of him

As someone else has said coming for crosses and commanding your box is a massive part of being a gk and Roos simply can’t and doesn’t 

Hamer is far far far from perfect but quite simply put when the ball goes into the box I’m about 20% less scared than when Roos is in the sticks.

roos has superior kicking, but if there’s a skillset for gks for me taking crosses and commanding their box trumps distribution 

Safe to we need a new keeper next year I reckon ... amongst many other things lol

9 hours ago, steve bloomer said:

Current gk coach is Shay Given, whom didn't have a bad playing career himself. Do you think Eric should work alongside Shay and help him?

I certainly think Shay should up his game if he is responsible for all the clubs goalkeepers and if there is no improvement he should be replaced. I’m not asking him to turn ours into top class goalies but goalies that instil confidence in the defenders in front of them would do.

Peter Shilton didn’t have a bad career as a player, didn’t fare too well in management though, a good career does not a good coach/manager make. ?

18 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I certainly think Shay should up his game if he is responsible for all the clubs goalkeepers and if there is no improvement he should be replaced. I’m not asking him to turn ours into top class goalies but goalies that instil confidence in the defenders in front of them would do.

Peter Shilton didn’t have a bad career as a player, didn’t fare too well in management though, a good career does not a good coach/manager make. ?

Unfair to blame Given if the 2 main keepers he has available to work with don't have the ability needed to improve to a level which is acceptable. Could Guardiola have turned Connor Sammon into a decent Championship striker or Claude into a half-decent defender?

steve bloomer
27 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

There are just ten games left

5 at home and 5 away I take it yes? I hope we can win all 10 games left, we might just make 6th place again.

Archived