Goalkeepers

Seaside Ram

Just now, MuespachRam said:

The best goalkeeper we have on the books by miles and miles is warming Citys  bench 

He's past it. He was dropped for Roos for a reason. We simply need a new one.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He's past it. He was dropped for Roos for a reason. We simply need a new one.

I agree we do need a new one, because the other two are plain and simple, rubbish. (And Carson isn’t coming back-why would be?) Carson could still do a job for us that’s for sure. 

7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I agree we do need a new one, because the other two are plain and simple, rubbish. (And Carson isn’t coming back-why would be?) Carson could still do a job for us that’s for sure. 

Carson couldn't even do a job for us last season, why would this one be any different? He had a great season 3 years ago, and has been downhill ever since. He was just as bad as Roos and Hamer last season.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Hamer and Roos are different keepers. I personally like the latter a lot more and think he's seriously derided because of his tendency to punch rather than catch.

Incidentally, in one of his last appearances for Derby, I was listening to Radio Derby when Steele and Dawes were on commentary and Dawes, like 90% of Derby fans, was seething at sight of Roos punching the ball away. Steele explained why Roos had done it, going into some depth and highlighted the end result and then finished in a flourish giving Dawes a dressing down telling to stick to what he knows, whilst he'll stick to what HE knows - goalkeepers. 

I'm not huge fan of either, but Roos concedes less goals and more clean sheets (better chance to win to nil): 27 in 22 appearances this season, with 7 clean sheets. Hamer has conceded 26 in 18 appearances, with 3 clean sheets. Roos actually has a very good record for Derby over a big sample size: 52 games, 58 conceded and 18 clean sheets. It's pretty much inline with Carson's record at Derby. 

If you talk too Eric he will tell you one of the reasons other than his shot stopping that Derby and a number of clubs were in for him was he dominated his area and came and claimed and caught most crosses.So somewhere that has been coached out of him, he also says Joe Hart's decline is down to too much foreign keeper coaching.

1 minute ago, Rambalin said:

If you talk too Eric he will tell you one of the reasons other than his shot stopping that Derby and a number of clubs were in for him was he dominated his area and came and claimed and caught most crosses.So somewhere that has been coached out of him, he also says Joe Hart's decline is down to too much foreign keeper coaching.

I’m surprised at that comment re Roos.

FWIW I think he should play for the simple reason that hamer is no better and we are surely not going to sign him. Therefore play our own player and give him a chance to develop. Unfortunately he gets crucified by south stand which doesn’t help.

However....back to my original point....I went to watch him playing for the reserves in the early days. He looked good. I was just about to start getting excited about him when in one match (v Arsenal?) he went for a cross....it was his all day long....and then at the last second he panicked, changed his mind, and made a right mess of it. That stuck with me. Thereafter I have always believed that his issue is mental. Confidence. Self-belief. He has got the physique and the reach and the agility. But there is a mental glitch. 

Think we should scout Kalinic at Toulouse on loan from Villa - he is like 18th choice at Villa cos he let in 8 goals in his first 3 games and when dropped they went on that run but.....

Belgian Goalie of the year despite only being there half the season

Transfered for between £5M and £7M to Villa only to suffer a huge bout of scapegoatism so would fit in here too.

There must be a player in there and he must have gone down in value

Worth checking out I reckon..

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It was a terrible bit of business by the recruitment team, though that’s nothing to do with where he came from - teams write decent players off and let them go all the time. It’s to do with the fact that we brought in a backup goalie when what we really needed was a new first choice. In fairness, Hamer has actually been slightly better than I originally thought when we signed him - I thought he’d be totally out of his depth if he ever had to play, but I guess he’s looked *capable* at this level. The trouble is, “capable” isn't enough. He’s a low end championship goalie, good enough for a team fighting relegation but no higher than that. In fairness, that’s sadly pretty much where we’ve been at times this season because of off the field issues derailing our season, but when we brought Hamer in the aim was to be far above that level. Simply put, he wasn’t a good enough signing whatsoever given the level we were aiming to reach in the summer.

I'll probably get slated for this but wasnt Hamer brought in purely as cover for Roos? Which means the club considered Roos to be an adequate goalkeeper for the side. 

In a Cocu side, it's obvious a keeper must be capable of playing out from the back. So, we can narrow the 41 GKs to have played in the Championship down based on their decision to play short instead of long, and look at only those to have played in 10 or more games.
Roos opts to go short 52% of the time (3rd highest), so the keepers with 75% of his figure (above 39%) are: Casilla, Bettinelli, Raya, Woodman, Lumley, Kelly, Sahin, Rodak, and Hamer. Whereas Grabara, Johnstone, Rafael, Sluga and Long 'just' miss out by opting to go short at least 60% as often as Roos (31.4%).
Of course, stopping the ball from going into the net is the single most aspect of being a goalkeeper. Roos' save percentage of 68% isn't great (14th best), but is less than 3% off being top 6 and 8.8% off the best. GKs with a better save % and are listed above are: Rafael, Rodak, Johnstone, Casilla, Raya, Bentley.
You also don't want to give the ball away too often due to a bad short pass as that often leads to an easy shot on goal. Roos gives it away once every 100 short passes. Better than Raya, Bentley, Casilla, and Johnstone; marginally worse than Rodak.

Roos actually isn't that bad, is he?

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The best goalkeeper we have on the books by miles and miles is warming Citys  bench 

He's not doing a very good job of it then, when did he even last make it onto Man City's bench? His seat must be pretty bloody cold.

There's a reason he's happy to be Man City's 4th, 5th choice keeper with little to no hope of ever seeing competitive action.

Like many keepers who follow a similar path he's effectively retired and taken up a mentoring role, but unlike Grant when he went to Man Utd after Stoke he doesn't even get a game in the cups.

Has anyone seen France U21 keeper Paul Bernardoni on a regular basis?

On his second season in a row in loan at Nimes, from Bordeaux, I was watching a Ligue 1 match the other day (Rennes 2-1 Nimes) and his shot stopping was pretty impressive. Couldn't really tell much about the rest of his game though.

I just thought when watching it that maybe that's the sort of signing we should / would go for, although not necessarily Bernardoni himself, I was just curious as to whether he's really any good or not.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In a Cocu side, it's obvious a keeper must be capable of playing out from the back. So, we can narrow the 41 GKs to have played in the Championship down based on their decision to play short instead of long, and look at only those to have played in 10 or more games.
Roos opts to go short 52% of the time (3rd highest), so the keepers with 75% of his figure (above 39%) are: Casilla, Bettinelli, Raya, Woodman, Lumley, Kelly, Sahin, Rodak, and Hamer. Whereas Grabara, Johnstone, Rafael, Sluga and Long 'just' miss out by opting to go short at least 60% as often as Roos (31.4%).
Of course, stopping the ball from going into the net is the single most aspect of being a goalkeeper. Roos' save percentage of 68% isn't great (14th best), but is less than 3% off being top 6 and 8.8% off the best. GKs with a better save % and are listed above are: Rafael, Rodak, Johnstone, Casilla, Raya, Bentley.
You also don't want to give the ball away too often due to a bad short pass as that often leads to an easy shot on goal. Roos gives it away once every 100 short passes. Better than Raya, Bentley, Casilla, and Johnstone; marginally worse than Rodak.

Did you enjoy the film moneyball?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'll probably get slated for this but wasnt Hamer brought in purely as cover for Roos? Which means the club considered Roos to be an adequate goalkeeper for the side. 

Yeah, that’s pretty much my point. We made a big mistake thinking that Roos was a good enough number 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No he's not "bad" neither is he "good", When he deposed Carson he was the best we had at the club, His mistake/s at Wembley and loss of form culminating in a poor game at Fulham saw him de throned, Hamer is no better or worse, A good defence infront will give more confidence to a keeper, With our defence our keeper/s mistakes are highlighted more, If you could mould Roos and Hamer together they still wouldn't make for a good keeper.

I hope that a keeper of good standing and reputation is at the top of our list come close season, If not heaven help those who's job it is to recruit.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Dunno about best or worst in the league but Grant and Carson are miles better than Roos. Miles and miles. Maybe we were spoilt. I dunno. Both had their faults but so much better

People say Roos is a great shot stopper. Is he? He's alright but i wouldn't say he makes an unusual amount of surprising saves or has match winning performances like the Fulham game. 

I think his kicking is decent. 

Crosses and high balls into the box are a massive part of the game. Not being good at this is like being an F1 driver who's really fast in the straight but corners like a tank convoy. 

As for ratings... what do you score a point for? A pass, a save, a shot on target? 

Is every pass a good pass? Every save equal? Every shot on target a good strike? It's all statistics based isn't it? Not useless but it's hardly proof in writing. 

Is there a stat for hospital passes that make it to the target but end in that player losing the ball because he was played into trouble? A stat for punching the ball out to the edge of the box? Or is that a clearance? 

Roos does bizarre dives for shots never going in either. Why? Does he not know where his goal is or does he just like diving?

Anyway, I don't actually find either keeper infuriating. Only commenting because I thought being called a good keeper that isn't good at crosses is an oxymoron.

The same Lee Grant that was punching the ball into his own net for fun v Wolves and Leeds. Just as shaky as Roos especially after the last injury . Seem to remember we were all amazed Stoke paid for him to go. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The same Lee Grant that was punching the ball into his own net for fun v Wolves and Leeds. Just as shaky as Roos especially after the last injury . Seem to remember we were all amazed Stoke paid for him to go. 

That was when he was injured? I wasn't amazed Stoke paid for him. Thought he was class and miles better than Roos. Remember far more good than bad

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because he couldn't play the way either Lampard or Cocu wanted.

He is another player who's stock has risen considerably by not being in the team.

If I remember correctly there were many calling for his head in the months leading up to him being replaced by Roos.

Curtis Davies can’t play the way Cocu wants (and proves it every minute he plays) but he keeps getting a game ?

Archived