u19's v Borussia Dortmund U19 (H)

Bubbles

Cor that was blooming cold, especially coming straight from the office.  I think I'm still thawing out four hours later!

I thought we were clearly the better team and it was a fair result and that's without the best three Derby players from this age group!  That's pretty impressive when you think about it.  Every member of that squad should be feeling ten feet tall.

Special mentions to Whitaker and Sibley.  It's clear to see why they've already been involved in and around the first team.  You'd have to think more will follow their lead from this group but as bodies and minds mature at different rates I wouldn't discount anyone at this point.

As for MOTM, I'd plump for J Brown.  Not seen him at CDM before but as @angieram pointed out a while ago he's really grown into that role.  I'm also beginning to think that as well as being A Brown's twin he might also be L Sibley's twin.  Quite some talent being a Brown twin and a blonde twin at the same time ?

A big up to fellow Rams who braved the elements, far more of us there than I expected.  Good fun with our limited singing section taking on the Borussia screaming horde too. And respect to the Germans, if only for their ability to get four syllables out of Bo-russ-see-ya ?

Ps Oh and just because I'm not sure if @DavesaRam was trucking elsewhere:  The ref, despite letting the German's get away with some cynical stuff in the second half, had a good game.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be joined by tomorow's winners:

Midtjylland vs Lille
Rangers vs Atl Madrid
Dynamo Kyiv vs Dinamo Zagreb
Porto vs RB Salzburg
Sheriff vs Crvena Zvezda
Rennes vs Brugge
Zaragoza vs Lyon

The draw for the next knock-out round will be on Friday. I believe we could face any of the other 15 teams (no restriction based on qualification route or geography). This will also be a single legged tie.

Who's who of European football left in this competition.

6 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Anyone know when the next round will be played? Can’t find it on the interwebby.

3/4 of March.

Teams qualified so far (Group winners and us):

Real Madrid 

Bayern Munich 

Atalanta

Juventus 

Liverpool 

Internazionale

Benfica

Ajax 

Derby

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I just looked at where the final is held, hoping we could engineer our way to Wembley, slightly disappointed to see the Semi and Final is being held at the Coronray Stadium (excuse spelling) in Nyon, Switzerland, with a capacity of 840.

Good job it isn't Leeds, imagine 100k fans rocking up there ?

£39 flight from Manchester to Mulhouse-Basel-Freiburg airport, it’s about an hour from there-ish, maybe less. Cheaper than an away game here!

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

disappointed to see the Semi and Final is being held at the Coronray Stadium (excuse spelling) in Nyon, Switzerland

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ouch, the price of Pukka Pies out there is enough to give you a heart attack

Help me out @Boycie I'm dying on my arse here ?

2 hours ago, angieram said:

What a cracking win for the lads today. It was a rush to get there from work but well worth it. I just loved the effort and commitment from the whole team, with a fair sprinkling of major talent thrown in to the mix.

But make no mistake, it was the effort that won it.

First half I thought was a bit cagey and you could see the obvious individual skills of the Dortmund players. We were playing into a fair old wind, which meant that Dortmund could have used their more favourable half to their advantage and they really failed to do that. Yes, they had their moments but didn't look as composed as I expected them to be and I thought our defence was collectively magnificent.

In the second half we really went at them, this time with our favourable following wind. Was the half-time talk "give the ball to Sibley more"? If so, it worked! 

I am looking forward to watching the highlights and find it hard to pick out any standout individuals, as I thought everyone played well. I did disagree with some comments on the thread: I actually remarked during the game how much better Whittaker is at tracking back these days! He was also involved in most of our good build-up play and is much stronger at retaining possession than he used to be. I also thought Buchanan, injured through much of the second half, defended really well as did Ebosele. Yes, he sometimes loses the ball when attacking but he's a fearsome defender and is so quick. First time I've ever seen him beaten for pace by a Dortmund defender today. Some of their guys were seriously quick.

I loved the "Dortmund Ultras" in the crowd. There weren't many of them but their chanting was great - we need to listen and learn. It was one of their guys with the scream every time we won a free kick - the more random squeals near the end were some of our guys taking the piss! After doing their usual German chants they also sang something like "You're poo and you know you are" to us, which I was pretty impressed with until I heard that most of them hailed from Sheffield rather than Dortmund! 

Great to see so many of our fans too, watching on a freezing afternoon.  I think the numbers took the catering by surprise- only one hatch open with very lengthy queues, very little choice of hot food and at one stage they ran out of hot water for the drinks. Still, apart from the club not making more money from the fixture, there was little else to moan about really. Derby City Council did nicely out of it as the West Stand car park was full so we all had to pay £3 to use the Park and Ride. Well, we did get the ride, and it's a journey that's not over yet - Come on You Young Rams for whatever the competition throws at us next.

'nothing positive then?'

seems to be the favoured response these days

Archived