u19's v Borussia Dortmund U19 (H)

Bubbles

On 11/02/2020 at 19:16, Will Hughes Hair said:

Cor that was blooming cold, especially coming straight from the office.  I think I'm still thawing out four hours later!

I thought we were clearly the better team and it was a fair result and that's without the best three Derby players from this age group!  That's pretty impressive when you think about it.  Every member of that squad should be feeling ten feet tall.

Special mentions to Whitaker and Sibley.  It's clear to see why they've already been involved in and around the first team.  You'd have to think more will follow their lead from this group but as bodies and minds mature at different rates I wouldn't discount anyone at this point.

As for MOTM, I'd plump for J Brown.  Not seen him at CDM before but as @angieram pointed out a while ago he's really grown into that role.  I'm also beginning to think that as well as being A Brown's twin he might also be L Sibley's twin.  Quite some talent being a Brown twin and a blonde twin at the same time ?

A big up to fellow Rams who braved the elements, far more of us there than I expected.  Good fun with our limited singing section taking on the Borussia screaming horde too. And respect to the Germans, if only for their ability to get four syllables out of Bo-russ-see-ya ?

Ps Oh and just because I'm not sure if @DavesaRam was trucking elsewhere:  The ref, despite letting the German's get away with some cynical stuff in the second half, had a good game.

#Thanks for covering for me - I was in Iceland for this one. So Booooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! What's the ref thinking of, not giving us owt to moan at?

You just can't get the refs these days!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County (ENG),

Ajax (NED),

Atalanta (ITA),

Bayern München (GER),

Benfica (POR),

Internazionale Milano (ITA),

Juventus (ITA),

Liverpool (ENG),

Real Madrid (ESP)

Atlético Madrid (ESP),

Crvena zvezda (SRB),

Dinamo Zagreb (CRO),

Lyon (FRA),

Midtjylland (DEN),

Rennes (FRA),

Salzburg (AUT)

Real Madrid at home please!

26 minutes ago, Squid said:

Derby County (ENG), 

Ajax (NED),

Atalanta (ITA), 

Bayern München (GER), 

Benfica (POR),

Internazionale Milano (ITA),

Juventus (ITA),

Liverpool (ENG)

Real Madrid (ESP)

Atlético Madrid (ESP)

Crvena zvezda (SRB)

Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

Lyon (FRA),

Midtjylland (DEN),

Rennes (FRA),

Salzburg (AUT)

Real Madrid at home please!

Not many of those sides were the best in their league last season. Only Derby County (ENG), Ajax (NED), Atalanta (ITA), Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Midtjylland (DEN), and Salzburg (AUT) 

Munich came 4th in 1 of 3 groups. Juventus came 8th in 1 group. Real Madrid came 2nd in 1 of 7 groups (losing in QF). Atl Madrid won their group but lost in the QF. Lyon came 3rd in 1 of 4 groups.

The others weren't far off winning.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not many of those sides were the best in their league last season. Only Derby County (ENG), Ajax (NED), Atalanta (ITA), Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Midtjylland (DEN), and Salzburg (AUT) 

Munich came 4th in 1 of 3 groups. Juventus came 8th in 1 group. Real Madrid came 2nd in 1 of 7 groups (losing in QF). Atl Madrid won their group but lost in the QF. Lyon came 3rd in 1 of 4 groups.

The others weren't far off winning.

It's quite irksome that some clubs get put straight through to these final stages just because of who they are, rather than by earning it. But good for us, I suppose. Juventus it is, then! 

Borussia Dortmund: 'We don't buy superstars, we make them'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51471587

Dortmund's philosophy emerged from the financial crisis that brought the club to its knees in 2004, seven years after Ricken scored on the greatest night in the club's history, as they won the European Cup for the first - and so far, only - time.

Dortmund's last Bundesliga-winning team under Jurgen Klopp in 2012 included homegrown Mario Gotze and Mats Hummels, who joined them as an untested 19-year-old. Both were subsequently sold to Bayern Munich for a combined £60m.

"Ousmane Dembele and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang weren't superstars when they came to Dortmund," said Ricken, who watched his under-19s side lose to Derby in a Uefa Youth League play-off at Pride Park on Tuesday.

"We developed them to become superstars. It is very important for the club...

"Trophies are very important but, especially in Dortmund, the attitude you are playing with, the passion, emotion and never giving up is as important."

Awww, no U19s UEFA trophy for them this season! ?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The BBC had clearly part written this article expecting Dortmund to go through - fair enough they are an established conveyor belt for young talent. However, the young Rams barely get a mention. Perhaps, they could have taken a different slant and written a positive story about Derby's academy beating one of Europe's finest. We could do with some positive media attention for once.

COYR ?

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

4 players shown in the images: Man City academy player, a player they signed aged 23, a 19 year signing from Salzburg, who was playing in Norway last season, and a 17 year old signing from the USA.

Further on it takes about Reyna, a 17 year old signing from the USA. They also took 19 year old Hummells on loan from Munich before buying him a year later. Dembele was another 19 year old signing. 

The can have Gotze though.

Buy in young players with potential. Play them. Sell them on for a big profit. They don’t ‘make them’. They develop them. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Buy in young players with potential. Play them. Sell them on for a big profit. They don’t ‘make them’. They develop them. 

Another reason we need to get into the Prem, pulling power, to also do it as well! 

9 hours ago, angieram said:

It's quite irksome that some clubs get put straight through to these final stages just because of who they are, rather than by earning it. But good for us, I suppose. Juventus it is, then! 

Bring em on .....we owe them one BIG STYLE ! ...those of a certain age will know where I'm coming from......???

Archived