u19's v Borussia Dortmund U19 (H)

Bubbles

So tomorrow is the day where our u19's take on European Giants Borussia Dortmund (well their u19's)

Can we get a win to take us through to the next round?

Or will we fall at the hurdle?

Will Bogle play (he is registered!)

Will Morgan Whittaker add to his tally?

All I know is that it's gonna get spicy baby!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Srg said:

Am I correct in thinking this a 1pm kick off and free entry, and also on BT Sport?

Yes, yes and yes.

The timing is not good, but out of Derby's hands. I do hope anyone who is free and can afford the bus fare or petrol  ? will get themselves to Pride Park to cheer on the lads in person. I'm taking a couple of hours off work to go. 

I, unfortunately, can't take any time off but I'll stick it one of my monitors at work.

Will need to be a strong Derby side; a lot of talent in Dortmund youth. Including one much talked about Giovanni Reyna - the (british born) next US big thing. Scored this goal for their first team in the cup last week.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, yes and yes.

The timing is not good, but out of Derby's hands. I do hope anyone who is free and can afford the bus fare or petrol  ? will get themselves to Pride Park to cheer on the lads in person. I'm taking a couple of hours off work to go. 

Wish I could, big shame it's on at that time. Bit silly on the competition's part.

As pointed out, it's really poor scheduling. Perhaps I'm talking through my pocket as my interest in the youth teams has definitely piqued over the the last 2 to 3 years as we've become an increasing force but while I may be a tad fairweather, there's plenty who support the younger lads through thick and thin, a fact that seems of little consequence to those involved in the schedule. It won't suit our Dortmund counterparts either so it's pretty hard to see the thinking behind it all.

As for the game, I'm intrigued by this for two reasons; firstly, I wonder whether we go full out and play the strongest eligible team? Unless I'm mistaken, Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Sibley and Bird could all play but it's something of a quandary as while the coaching staff more than deserve a full complement of players to choose from, several are now firmly ensconced in the senior squad and Cocu may wish not wish to risk it.

Secondly, just how strong are some of these European youth sides? It'll be fascinating to see how our lads match up against what you'd expect to be a pretty fearsome Dortmund side.

I'll be watching the game on my notebook anyway. Can't wait!

COYR

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As pointed out, it's really poor scheduling. Perhaps I'm talking through my pocket as my interest in the youth teams has definitely piqued over the the last 2 to 3 years as we've become an increasing force but while I may be a tad fairweather, there's plenty who support the younger lads through thick and thin, a fact that seems of little consequence to those involved in the schedule. It won't suit our Dortmund counterparts either so it's pretty hard to see the thinking behind it all.

As for the game, I'm intrigued by this for two reasons; firstly, I wonder whether we go full out and play the strongest eligible team? Unless I'm mistaken, Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Sibley and Bird could all play but it's something of a quandary as while the coaching staff more than deserve a full complement of players to choose from, several are now firmly ensconced in the senior squad and Cocu may wish not wish to risk it.

Secondly, just how strong are some of these European youth sides? It'll be fascinating to see how our lads match up against what you'd expect to be a pretty fearsome Dortmund side.

COYR

It seems to be that the vast majority of games in the UEFA Youth League games are scheduled at 1pm. There must be reasoning to that. 

Perhaps its simply to get them on TV without it clashing with time slots of senior games.

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

COYR

I expect Sibley and Whittaker to play. Lowe is way too old. Bogle and Bird... No. Think they are too important for the first team now. Knight I think is a maybe. May depend on how Phil wants to lineup against Brizzle. 

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

COYR

Lowe will be way too old for this but all the others are eligible. And you need to add Morgan Whittaker to that list, so it is 5 players around the first-team squad.

I think we'll only see Sibley and Whittaker. Perhaps have others on the bench just in case, but the Bristol City game is a priority - even if it would be amazing to win this and we could. This golden generation not winning the FA Youth Cup was a disappointment to me and a learning curve to them, when they allowed an inferior Man City team get under their skin and knock them out of their stride.

@therealhantsram & @Carl Sagan - Duh, brainfart - was thinking U23 not U19. Max is 22 right? Agree with your thinking ref the likelihood of the the 1st teamers playing and on balance, I think it would be the right call. Having worked so hard to get us back on the right road, I think Phil will be loathed to risk losing that momentum. Would love to see us progress though so hopefully we can put in a strong performance anyway. 

Bird too valuable to the first team at the moment so will miss out. Knight's form has dropped so a confidence boosting performance could be just what he needs. Whittaker will have his eyes on the golden boot.

Foster-Theniger
Ebosele  Minkley  Cashin  Buchanan*
Knight  JBrown  Sibley
Whittaker  Stretton  Archie

Halwax, MacDonald, Charles, Matthews, Thompson, Cybulski, Wilson

*Depends on how his return from injury is. If not ready, then JBrown to LB and Thompson in at DM and Aghatise on the bench.

Full squad
GK: French, Foster-Theniger, Halwax, Roberts
D: Bogle, Ebosele, Macdonald, Bardell, JBrown, Buchanan, Charles, Minkley, Cashin, Soloman, Rutt, Jinkinson, Grewal-Pollard
M: Bird, Knight, Sibley, Cybulski, Dixon, LThompson, SThompson, Aghatise, Matthews, Rogers, de Gracia
A: Whittaker, Stretton, Archie, Wilson, Nto, Splatt, Greco

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Shame as it’s on at 1pm, would’ve liked to watch this. Was somewhat hoping I might have flukes a couple of hours off tomorrow afternoon, but after checking my timetable it appears I have 3 lectures tomorrow afternoon. Bamfords. 

A student who actually attends lectures? Christ, whatever next! 

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

A student who actually attends lectures? Christ, whatever next! 

Well when you do a proper degree like maths then you have no choice, if you don’t want to fail! Not like these half arsed BA degrees where you only have to rock up for a couple of hours a week.... like I don’t know... law?. Basically get your degree by reading a couple of books and writing the odd essay?

No shade thrown at any specific individual on here, of course?

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Well when you do a proper degree like maths then you have no choice, if you don’t want to fail! Not like these half arsed BA degrees where you only have to rock up for a couple of hours a week.... like I don’t know... law?. Basically get your degree by reading a couple of books and writing the odd essay?

Obviously ??

On your first point, bullpoo. I've seen Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon was a maths genius and all he did was fight and shag Minnie Driver, so there! 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Meh, don’t turn up and read the material at home. They put it online for a reason. Worst case scenario, BT Sport while you’re in your lecture. 

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

Meh, don’t turn up and read the material at home. They put it online for a reason. Worst case scenario, BT Sport while you’re in your lecture. 

Probably would if it wasn’t my differential equations lecture. Lecturer is entirely useless, might see the lectures notes within the next 72 working days if we’re lucky... Taking my laptop in for BT sport is a fair should mind

Archived