u19's v Borussia Dortmund U19 (H)

Bubbles

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Over on dortmund twitter, they're voicing their disliking for the gaffer, and saying they should not be losing to "weaker opposition".

Pretty sure we was favourites to go through?

It's very, very difficult for fans to separate the levels of play when engaging in topics of this type. Someone completely engulfed in youth football (such as the BVB youth coaches in their pre-game interview stuff) recognised this game as an upper echelon German academy away from home against the champions of England.

But for most; Borussia Dortmund just lost in a European competition against Derby County. You'll never get around that. Among the general media and fans, our opposition will always be favourites.

You see it in England too. Premier League teams with FAR inferior youth teams to us lose and their fans on twitter are full of "can't even beat Derby."

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's very, very difficult for fans to separate the levels of play when engaging in topics of this type. Someone completely engulfed in youth football (such as the BVB youth coaches in their pre-game interview stuff) recognised this game as an upper echelon German academy away from home against the champions of England.

But for most; Borussia Dortmund just lost in a European competition against Derby County. You'll never get around that. Among the general media and fans, our opposition will always be favourites.

You see it in England too. Premier League teams with FAR inferior youth teams to us lose and their fans on twitter are full of "can't even beat Derby."

Exactly.

I just found it funny.

Never underestimate little old Derby!

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U18s* ?

Dortmund U19s were the Champions of Germany last year (although 2nd in their region), and currently level on points with top this time round. Our U23s are 3rd and U18s 5th.

We need a conveyor belt of U18 recruitment to keep up with all the lads getting promoted to the U23s and the first team

Don't we have the youngest average age in our U18s this year? I think I read that somewhere. One of our younger age group squads must be absolutely barren ? 

A good win. They had some decent players.

My first time with the 19s. From today. Ebosele showed some promise. If he can sort out his positional / decision making he looks a prospect. Wilson came on and looked knackered. That said, he did well for our 3rd goal. Foster looks a prospect in goal. Whittaker showed as little interest in tracking back when he lost the ball as he has during his cameos for the first team. He's got ability and someone needs to have a word. Sibley was good but someone needs to talk to him about subtle 'tackles' when he has a point to make. As has been said, he could have gone off today - injured or red.

A very good win. 

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We need a conveyor belt of U18 recruitment to keep up with all the lads getting promoted to the U23s and the first team

Don't we have the youngest average age in our U18s this year? I think I read that somewhere. One of our younger age group squads must be absolutely barren ? 

It's the youngest we've ever had - could be 5/6 U16s who have been in the U18 squad this season. The U18s average age will have dropped to the levels of Chelsea at close to 17. However, despite the U23s average dropping to about 20, that puts us about mid table. Man Utd and Man City are closer to 19. Using overage players in the U23s to regain fitness does skew things slightly though.

Ideally we'd probably have squad made up of the following:
1st year in U18s = squad player (aged 16/17)
2nd year in U18s = first choice (aged 17/18)
1st year in U23s = squad player (aged 18/19)
2nd year in U23s = first choice (aged 19/20)

Target average ages would therefore be 17 and 19. We're about there for the U18s, and should be close to the target for the U23s next season.

23 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

A good win. They had some decent players.

My first time with the 19s. From today. Ebosele showed some promise. If he can sort out his positional / decision making he looks a prospect. Wilson came on and looked knackered. That said, he did well for our 3rd goal. Foster looks a prospect in goal. Whittaker showed as little interest in tracking back when he lost the ball as he has during his cameos for the first team. He's got ability and someone needs to have a word. Sibley was good but someone needs to talk to him about subtle 'tackles' when he has a point to make. As has been said, he could have gone off today - injured or red.

A very good win. 

Any positives at all?

Really enjoyed the game and was expecting more from Dortmund. Sibley's style of play and tackling warms my heart, almost makes me wanna play as well. Proper old school crunching ones and I hope he doesn't change his style one bit. Seems like that's against the grain here?

The way he turns and runs with the ball is very Holmes-like. Can see him as a back up for Duane next season. 

35 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

"The winners and runners-up of the same group in the Champions League "

Rules out:
Real Madrid vs Brugge
Bayern vs Crvena zvezda
Atlanta vs Dinamo Zagreb
Juventus vs Atl Madrid
Liverpool vs Dortmund
Benfica vs Lyon
Ajax vs Lille

Had it on during my lunch hour <cough>. Fantastic performance.

I was a little worried first half but second half, the Rammos had a lot of chances on the break and should have put it to bed sooner.

Excellent performances by everyone but I especially liked: Ebosele, the wide left Brown, Sibley and Whittaker.

The future is truly bright with this academy.....pay rises all round I say. COYR ?

Archived