Rules out:
Real Madrid vs Brugge
Bayern vs Crvena zvezda
Atlanta vs Dinamo Zagreb
Juventus vs Atl Madrid
Liverpool vs Dortmund
Benfica vs Lyon
Ajax vs Lille

Didn't we just rule out Liverpool v Dortmund?

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Any positives at all?

That was the Radio Derby approach to summarising a victory.  Top and tail with the view it was a good win, then damn with faint praise (or just criticise) in the main body of summary.  Ramage eat your heart out!  

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Surprise Barca aren't there , did they get knocked out in this round or the groups? Or are they even in the competition? Would take Real Madrid or Bayern next round to see how our players compare to the best of the best,  not sure who the favourites are for the competition TBH as I don't really follow youth football much but would assume Madrid would have a very good youth team.

You'd have thought Borussia Dortmund would have a very good youth set up!

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Surprise Barca aren't there , did they get knocked out in this round or the groups? Or are they even in the competition? Would take Real Madrid or Bayern next round to see how our players compare to the best of the best,  not sure who the favourites are for the competition TBH as I don't really follow youth football much but would assume Madrid would have a very good youth team.

Barca finished bottom of their group behind Inter, Dortmund and Slavia Prague. Based on that, I reckon we would've smashed at least 10 past them if we were ever to play them with this team.

10 minutes ago, roboto said:

Am I right in assuming that we're the only team in the competition that's first team isn't in the top flight in their respective country? It's a hell of an achievement for the club if that is the case.

Yes, you are right. Had to check on that Crvena club and that is Red Star Belgrade written in Serbian , they are 1st division. Other than that all are clearly 1st divisons teams.

Well, I ain't seen nowt of the action, live or highly lit, but from what I've just come in and read on here, it sounds like the young lads are due a massive pat on the back from the first team fans, if only for showing Derby County Football Club in a good light (To put it mildly!)

Well done to all involved, and respect to those of you who find the time to turn up and give the lads a cheer.

Now let's go and win the bloody thing!

Come On You Lambs!

#bandwagonfan

36 minutes ago, roboto said:

Am I right in assuming that we're the only team in the competition that's first team isn't in the top flight in their respective country? It's a hell of an achievement for the club if that is the case.

At the moment yes. But if you meant from the start of the competition at least Zaragoza plays Segunda on Spain.  Then there were many eastern European teams I have no clue where their parent team is playing.

Great win & another step in what has been a fantastic 18 months for our Academy. To compete with Europe's best at that level is an unbelievable achievement. Very proud Ram.

Best of all is that prospective talented youth players (and their parents) will look at us & not only think the Academy is top class but that they have a very clear pathway to the first team. Other than Ajax, I can't imagine any of the other last 16 teams can boast that (or any Premiership side for that matter).

Look at all those names in the last 16 from our European Cup forays in the 1970's - I feel a revenge mission against Juventus or Real Madrid coming on!! ??

What a cracking win for the lads today. It was a rush to get there from work but well worth it. I just loved the effort and commitment from the whole team, with a fair sprinkling of major talent thrown in to the mix.

But make no mistake, it was the effort that won it.

First half I thought was a bit cagey and you could see the obvious individual skills of the Dortmund players. We were playing into a fair old wind, which meant that Dortmund could have used their more favourable half to their advantage and they really failed to do that. Yes, they had their moments but didn't look as composed as I expected them to be and I thought our defence was collectively magnificent.

In the second half we really went at them, this time with our favourable following wind. Was the half-time talk "give the ball to Sibley more"? If so, it worked! 

I am looking forward to watching the highlights and find it hard to pick out any standout individuals, as I thought everyone played well. I did disagree with some comments on the thread: I actually remarked during the game how much better Whittaker is at tracking back these days! He was also involved in most of our good build-up play and is much stronger at retaining possession than he used to be. I also thought Buchanan, injured through much of the second half, defended really well as did Ebosele. Yes, he sometimes loses the ball when attacking but he's a fearsome defender and is so quick. First time I've ever seen him beaten for pace by a Dortmund defender today. Some of their guys were seriously quick.

I loved the "Dortmund Ultras" in the crowd. There weren't many of them but their chanting was great - we need to listen and learn. It was one of their guys with the scream every time we won a free kick - the more random squeals near the end were some of our guys taking the piss! After doing their usual German chants they also sang something like "You're poo and you know you are" to us, which I was pretty impressed with until I heard that most of them hailed from Sheffield rather than Dortmund! 

Great to see so many of our fans too, watching on a freezing afternoon.  I think the numbers took the catering by surprise- only one hatch open with very lengthy queues, very little choice of hot food and at one stage they ran out of hot water for the drinks. Still, apart from the club not making more money from the fixture, there was little else to moan about really. Derby City Council did nicely out of it as the West Stand car park was full so we all had to pay £3 to use the Park and Ride. Well, we did get the ride, and it's a journey that's not over yet - Come on You Young Rams for whatever the competition throws at us next.

Cracking result and some really good performances from our youngsters. Dortmund looked decent and had loads of possesion, especially in the 1st half, but our defence limited them to a handful of chances and I reckon we had the better chances. We could have scored 6 or 7 today and it wouldn't have flattered us.

Archived