u19's v Borussia Dortmund U19 (H)

Bubbles

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Which is very weird.

If you're drawing the initial bracket randomly; then I don't see the point in also randomising which winners go to which QF and then which of those go to which SF.

Unless they're trying to provide an illusion of randomness while actually fixing paths that they want ? 

I may have misunderstood.
You are right, it makes more sense for the draw of 16 to predetermine the route to the final, but QF, SF and F are draws.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Squid said:

Dynamo Kiev U19 0 - 0 D. Zagreb U19

FC Porto U19 1 - 1 Salzburg U19

Half time

We're somewhat fortunate for Porto and Salzburg to be facing each other. Both have previously won the competition, 2019 and 2017 respectively. The winner of this tie will be the only former Champions left. 2 time winners Chelsea and Barcelona were knocked out in the group stage. Benfica are the only other side remaining to have reached the final, having lost twice.

The furthest any of the other remaining teams have reached are:
Ajax - QF
Atl Madrid - QF
Brugge - Groups (3rd)
Inter - R16
Juventus - Playoffs
Kyiv - R16
Liverpool - QF
Lyon - QF
Madrid - SF
Midtjylland - QF
Munich - R16
Tiraspol - 1R
Zagreb - QF

This is the first time Zaragoza, Rennes and Atlanta have entered the competition.

I was a bit underwhelmed when I read the report of the match on  the Borussia Dortmund website, which states that our first goal should have been disallowed for a foul on  their keeper.  This angle of the goal clearly demonstrates no foul, and I find it a little mealy mouthed of such a big club to be honest.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was a bit underwhelmed when I read the report of the match on  the Borussia Dortmund website, which states that our first goal should have been disallowed for a foul on  their keeper.  This angle of the goal clearly demonstrates no foul, and I find it a little mealy mouthed of such a big club to be honest.

From a couple of angles it seemed liked Stretton may have accidentally kicked the keeper. He may have been in an offside position as well.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From a couple of angles it seemed liked Stretton may have accidentally kicked the keeper. He may have been in an offside position as well.

Might and maybe, neither were given and I have never seen our match reports stating things like this as fact? 

Or maybe they do and I am not so sensitive about it? 

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thought exactly the same thing @angieram - fact is it could and probably should have been 6 or 7-1 so a more gracious and balanced appraisal of our boy's performance would have been more welcome than inferring they were bullied and robbed. We played them off the park 2nd half whether they care to admit it or not.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Might and maybe, neither were given and I have never seen our match reports stating things like this as fact? 

Or maybe they do and I am not so sensitive about it? 

It definitely came across as an upset fan writing the report than a professional. Maybe the German match report was more professionally written?

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It definitely came across as an upset fan writing the report than a professional. Maybe the German match report was more professionally written?

Good point but most German people I know speak fluent English so it's unlikely they had to ask one of their Sheffield Ultras to write it for them. ?

I will take a look at the German report and see if it's any better.

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

Good point but most German people I know speak fluent English so it's unlikely they had to ask one of their Sheffield Ultras to write it for them. ?

I will take a look at the German report and see if it's any better.

I think you were teasing me but I have checked it out anyway and it isn't any better. It's exactly the same.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thought exactly the same thing @angieram - fact is it could and probably should have been 6 or 7-1 so a more gracious and balanced appraisal of our boy's performance would have been more welcome than inferring they were bullied and robbed. We played them off the park 2nd half whether they care to admit it or not.

We won. Who cares? Duck them.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We won. Who cares? Duck them.

I do. What the youth coaches have achieved in recent years is worthy of recognition, in my opinion at least and it irritates me that neutrals reading these reports will be left with the impression that we were not good value for the win. If you're not bothered, fair enough. I am.

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I do. What the youth coaches have achieved in recent years is worthy of recognition, in my opinion at least and it irritates me that neutrals reading these reports will be left with the impression that we were not good value for the win. If you're not bothered, fair enough. I am.

Hopefully the teams left in the competition will read the reports and underestimate us, but I doubt it. Most will watch the game and know the truth. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Fair. I personally just wish we could be a bit more like Milwall and (it makes me sick to type it) Leeds. Back our lads no matter what, and duck anyone who doubts us.

Archived