EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

If the EFL follow this through and the stadium is valued at less than Mel paid for it (for FFP purposes) where does that leave the remainder of the dosh? Do the club have to repay Mel or have we now got a nice big transfer kitty to spend?
At the end of the day an asset (be that a player or a stadium) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it -seems to me that the EFL have a big hole in their regulations that we’ve  exploited - legally I’d be surprised if the EFL are allowed to retrospectively punish us because their rules weren’t tight enough to prevent this -and I’m sure that’s the line Mel will take when it all gets legal (as it most certainly will).....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is just the pits, and I'm rapidly losing interest in the bigger picture. Var ruins the pl, while ffp ruins the efl. Ffp is bull#$@@ so Villa are ok, QPR are ok, but we are not. Every year it is watch the money, we need to sell before we can buy etc and then this. If we had just stuck two fingers up at the efl and spent like Villa we'd be up and seemingly untouchable.

On a more ration note, let's just play the kids and wait until Burnley prize them off us with undisclosed bids, too good to turn down. 

Either way, its dominated by finances and when your in our position it's really ducking difficult! A big club, just not quite big enough...

23 minutes ago, Squid said:

Pumping in money and chopping and changing managers with different styles of play is what the majority of our fans wanted!!!

Oh well, that makes it ok then 

I dare say most fans from most clubs would want it as well but you dont see other owners making a mess of it

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd be very surprised to see a professional valuer including theoretical improvements in a valuation.

Of course it may be the valuation of £80m was given subject to certain works being carried out and certain income being derived from other events, if that is correct and DCFC have used that methodology for the valuation I can understand the EFL challenging it.

FWIW though, that is not stated in the accounts and these have also been signed off by independent auditors.

Mel expressly stated that wasn't the case in his interview with Jim White.

He expressly said people would be properly pissed off if he made the infrastructure improvements to enable midweek concert holding etc, and then bought the stadium for far more than it's worth now.

So he didn't.

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Oh well, that makes it ok then 

I dare say most fans from most clubs would want it as well but you dont see other owners making a mess of it

Really?  Lots of clubs seem to be, or have been, in trouble of some form or another. 

I'm trying to think positively. 1. We don't have a deduction yet, QPR avoided it, so there is precedent that a charge does not automatically equal a deduction.

2. If we do get a deduction 9 points was Birmingham's, so it's reasonable to expect that sort of level. We are 10 points off relegation and I would expect us to finish above bottom 3. 

We are unlikely to get to top 6 without the deduction and had it come last season it would have ruined a very enjoyable ride and might have meant Leeds went up. 

If it comes, then we draw a line under the season and move on. 

Let's not forget Knight, Sibley and the rest will be more experienced and improved by the start of next season. 

Tough year though, my lads are young and just getting into it, it might be hard work. COYR.

Just now, Abu Derby said:

We will end up in the tird division, but we’ve been there and returned the better for it. From a pile of ashes a bird will arise and the chaff will be spread about, and Gibbo’s effigy will be in the 6 yard box. Thanks for nothing you muffin. 

Well thats just poo.

I think no one likes a smartarse hence why the EFL have taken this action as it comes across as a personal sleight.

Morris also has probably out a few noses out of joint in the EFL as well regards his outspoken comments regards the Championship TV money and looking at forming another league if this wasn't addressed.

Seems to be a just remember whose in charge reaction.

EFL briefing independent valuer: 'now look George, we don't much care for this Morris chappie. He thinks that we're financially incompetent in the way we negotiated several TV deals. But we've got to keep old Gibbo and a couple of dirty clubs happy, so if you could just see your way to keeping the final figure around £50m we can see some more business coming your way.'

Mel briefing independent valuer: 'now look Georgina, I need to find a way of balancing the books and getting some money into the club I love, so if you could just see your way to making the final figure around £80m including the future developments then I will be very happy'

Gentlemen, choose your independent valuer. 

All fantasy and made up of course. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I think no one likes a smartarse hence why the EFL have taken this action as it comes across as a personal sleight.

Morris also has probably out a few noses out of joint in the EFL as well regards his outspoken comments regards the Championship TV money and looking at forming another league if this wasn't addressed.

Seems to be a just remember whose in charge reaction.

They are probably still upset we forced them to take action against leeds.  Also they were dying to do us over the cardiff postponement a couple of years back but couldn't make it stick.

I wonder if this is a us or them approach from the efl. Gibson has sued them and maybe its their way of placating him, perhaps the risk to them if they lose to us is less than losing to Gibson. 

27 minutes ago, desirelines said:

If Mel wants to spend a daft amount of his own money on Derby, why should we be punished for it? EFL is a joke. 

FFP and the reason it was introduced in the first place is a joke. I know it’s a different authority, but UEFA only brought it in to keep big clubs in Europe safe (specifically Inter and AC Milan because they were struggling off the field-ironically they’ve become even worse since ffp’s introduction) and to prevent another Man City or PSG situation, putting the other big European clubs at risk. 

27 minutes ago, Finch said:

80 million would be too much for the entire club. Trouble ahead.

There was one report that said you’d expect to get the whole club plus chesterfield thrown in for free for that ?

Archived