Mason Bennett “close” to signing new contract

Day

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

I suspect it's a case of "We've invested far too much time and money on him over the years, to allow him to walk away on a free"?

Hmmm ,had a debate with my mate over the value of Mason taking the remaining length of his contract out of the equation. My mate whom I have high regard for his football knowledge reckoned he'd fetch £2-3m .

He's gone down in my estimation because I'd snatch someones hand off at £500,000. 

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Hmmm ,had a debate with my mate over the value of Mason taking the remaining length of his contract out of the equation. My mate whom I have high regard for his football knowledge reckoned he'd fetch £2-3m .

He's gone down in my estimation because I'd snatch someones hand off at £500,000. 

I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to pay anything for him if I'm being honest.

Gives 100% and has strength/pace. Something that we don’t have much of combined in the team. 

Thats about as far as it goes.

I can only assume he’s on low wages and doesn’t mind being on the bench/out the squad.

We wouldn’t get a better replacement on low wages/free transfer, so probably worth just giving him another year. 

As much as the whole joiners incident still very much irks me, I actually rate bennett as a player. He’s extremely “effective” in terms of his strength and power on the ball. Lacks in natural technical ability and quality in the box, but he’s still a useful player in terms of retaining possession and playing a pressing game. Good option so I can see why we’d want to keep him. He’ll likely be due a testimonial during his next contract if we use the 10 year rule, which is just bizzare.

This will be 5-6k a week wasted. How will we progress as a club with decisions like this.

Shocking. The club needs to get rid of certain players (Anya, Lawrence, Thorne, Bennett) to start creating a new culture.

If Cocu is our long term leader of this club, we need to move on from some of the longer term players who have not (or no longer can) contributed.

I don't mind this. 

I would suspect his wages are low compared with some in the squad. But irrespective of that i think hes a good squad player to have.

Good - and I am serious - always plays for others and not himself - just shows by his assists in the little time he is on the pitch - he has power and pace which we need - he also plays very well with Bogle on the right hand side and can contribute from the left as well ( no one else at Derby can do both!) 

when we can actually get him on the pitch we actually carry a threat to the opponent ( especially if he drives at them ?

we have lots of youngsters coming through who were his teammates and I am sure he will get much better when they are in the team with him 

Thought he was incredibly unlucky to get injured in that game against Preston. He was tearing their full back a new one at the time. Granted he has his limitations but he gives us something that we don't currently have out wide. A bit of raw aggression that gets the opposition full backs turning on their heels. For that reason and until we can  find/afford an upgrade then I'm happy to keep him onboard. 

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't mind this. 

I would suspect his wages are low compared with some in the squad. But irrespective of that i think hes a good squad player to have.

Seconded.

He's not going to be first choice and I'm guessing he won't be on a whack either. We're probably in a pretty good position to offer him a very standard contract for this level considering his mishap and his current injury problems. I don't see too much of a problem as long as he's taken his mistakes onboard. The squad is threadbare as it is, if (big if) we can keep him fit he's a decent squad player to have - one that always gives his all on the pitch regardless of his level of ability. 

Not a big deal at all. 

Archived