Mason Bennett “close” to signing new contract

David

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Anybody want to say anything cheerful?

I'm delighted Bennett is getting this extra chance. He's a valuable asset off the bench (when fit) as evidenced by his direct contribution of 6 points last season (his goals/assists were the difference between that many points), with a goal or assist every 160 minutes in the league. For comparison Lawrence earned us 4 points and a replay in the cup and Mount 5 points. 

He and the club need to learn when his body needs a rest and gradually build up that the ability to play longer more often. He's completed the full 90 twice in his professional career - once vs Forest in the cup this season, and 4 years ago when at Burton on loan.

30 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think Lampard described him has, hard working, humble, loves the club.

which perhaps isn't every player these days.

I'm hard woking , humble and love club mi owd... can I have a contract 

..I'm shi** at football mind especially wi my knees 

5 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Sad thing abart all this mi owds is that hes prob got enough cash to never have to work again ... especially if he buys an ex pit house in Langwith ... god bless him... mo heart and Hildas is bleeding fer him

That's a bit of a stretch. Let's say he's averaged £3k per week since turning pro. That's less than £600k earnings (after tax). Minus basic expenditure over that time and its roughly £500k (he most likely would have spent more), meaning he most certainly hasn't got enough cash to never work again.

I'll be dissapointed if he gets a new contract. Definitely time for him to go, he's had chances to break into the starting 11 and he just isn't good enough. The only reason he has lasted this long is because he's a Derby Lad and the fans like/liked him. 

If he could stay fit for a season or two I'm convinced he's a three or four million pound player.  He's pacy, direct, can bully the opposition and has a trick or two in his bag.  He's an injury prone Che Adams.

His current contract is worth (from memory) £4k per week (it was disclosed in court).  You'd suspect (especially in light of Keogh's revised contract offer) that the new contract would be worth less and/or be appearance related.  For those screaming for him to be let go, I wonder what they're expecting for similar money? He's nowhere near the waste of time, money and effort that Anya has been.

Anyway, whether he stays or goes I just hope on a human level that Mason gets a choice and makes the most of that opportunity.

I’m not against this. Actually I’m in favour of this. Sure he’s not good at finishing but he adds something that our attack lacks and quite frankly most of the team lack. PACE. Our team is so slow. Only quick players are Lowe Bennett and Holmes. On as a substitute down a flank and all the lad has to do is run which he can do. We saw glimpses of what he can produce in preseason. That thunderbolt against Bristol. Believe me it will be a loss if we lose him because then the bench is significantly weaker. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He and the club need to learn when his body needs a rest and gradually build up that the ability to play longer more often.

My preference would be to just rest him, preferably without actually paying him. I don't dislike the lad, don't wish him ill but if you think he is any part of a Derby future that is anything other than mid-table mediocrity, or worse, then we are not in agreement.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

My preference would be to just rest him, preferably without actually paying him. I don't dislike the lad, don't wish him ill but if you think he is any part of a Derby future that is anything other than mid-table mediocrity, or worse, then we are not in agreement.

He was part of a team last year that got to the play off final.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's completed the full 90 twice in his professional career - once vs Forest in the cup this season, and 4 years ago when at Burton on loan.

That is indeed a remarkable stat. 

i can’t even find the one full appearance for burton ?

p.s. ok 0-0 v Walsall 27/2/2016 -  still got subbed but in the 91st minute !

46 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

He was part of a team last year that got to the play off final.

Jay Mceverly was part of a team that actually WON a play off final, shall we give him a new contract too?

Bennett is and always will be league 2 standard at best, he doesn’t have enough about him to make It in this league. Yes he runs around a bit (when fit) but so does my dog.

His (and the other idiots) stupidity off the pitch cost us this season we should let his contract run down and palm him off on someone like Cambridge United for free and close the door on a crappy chapter in Derby’s history. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

If he could stay fit for a season or two I'm convinced he's a three or four million pound player.  He's pacy, direct, can bully the opposition and has a trick or two in his bag.  He's an injury prone Che Adams.

His current contract is worth (from memory) £4k per week (it was disclosed in court).  You'd suspect (especially in light of Keogh's revised contract offer) that the new contract would be worth less and/or be appearance related.  For those screaming for him to be let go, I wonder what they're expecting for similar money? He's nowhere near the waste of time, money and effort that Anya has been.

Anyway, whether he stays or goes I just hope on a human level that Mason gets a choice and makes the most of that opportunity.

You must work with Derby’s recruitment team!?

Archived