Mason Bennett “close” to signing new contract

David

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Jay Mceverly was part of a team that actually WON a play off final, shall we give him a new contract too?

Bennett is and always will be league 2 standard at best, he doesn’t have enough about him to make It in this league. Yes he runs around a bit (when fit) but so does my dog.

His (and the other idiots) stupidity off the pitch cost us this season we should let his contract run down and palm him off on someone like Cambridge United for free and close the door on a crappy chapter in Derby’s history. 

A pretty brutal assessment - but one that mirrors my thoughts. Simply not good enough (or physically reliable enough) if we want to challenge for promotion. If we'd paid a fee for him, people would lump him in with Anya and be calling for him to be let go as soon as we can find someone to take him off our hands - as it is, folk give him the benefit of the doubt because "he's one of our own" - though what that has to do with his ability to help the team progress is lost on me.....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Jay Mceverly was part of a team that actually WON a play off final, shall we give him a new contract too?

Bennett is and always will be league 2 standard at best, he doesn’t have enough about him to make It in this league. Yes he runs around a bit (when fit) but so does my dog.

His (and the other idiots) stupidity off the pitch cost us this season we should let his contract run down and palm him off on someone like Cambridge United for free and close the door on a crappy chapter in Derby’s history. 

Still better than Tom Lawrence and Jozefzoon.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Still better than Tom Lawrence and Jozefzoon.

I’m sorry but he’s not a better footballer than Lawrence in my opinion Mason is not a top half championship player but like it or not Lawrence is and if both were up for sale you would see that in the fee both players would command.

This baffles me. 

If he hadn’t played for us and we were looking to bring him in during the January transfer window from another club this place would be going mental at the lack of quality, medical history and behaviour off the field of this player. 

Move him on, save the money and use it elsewhere. 

Does not have the quality, has a terrible medical history and behaviour in the incident that has marred our season and the name of our club was appalling. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

If McEveley was 25, offered something different to the squad, was committed and relatively cheap then the answer would be yes.  Now if you'd said Craig Fagan ?

17 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

If McEveley was 25, offered something different to the squad, was committed and relatively cheap then the answer would be yes.  Now if you'd said Craig Fagan ?

Ha ha. Yep, I recall when we signed Fagan that I thought he would be a word beater...to be fair he did start t move for the goal that took us up...

16 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

To be fair, I'd rather keep him and play him instead of Lawrence.

Although there are times when I'd rather we  played with ten instead of playing Lawrence so that's not saying much.

I'd play him instead of Lawrence as well but I wouldn't keep him.

I have no problem with giving him a new contract. Maybe we’ll loan him out again for another season/half season and see where his head is at after all the drunk driving nonsense. If he performs then maybe we’ll have a useful squad player if not then he’ll still have resell value due to his contract. 

Either that or sell him for pennies and watch his become brilliant as that is the Derby way. 

if he was at any other club and we were linked with offering him a deal this place would be in meltdown.  i dont think we 'd see him hold down a first team place at any club in this league. 

i like the guy, wish he'd made it big here, but hes been here a long time and (barring "that goal") not set anything alight, aside from giving it his all as a sub.  When i compare him to our current batch of youngsters i know who i'd be playing. 

hes a footballer and he should be somewhere where he is likely to get to do that regularly 

Archived