Mason Bennett “close” to signing new contract

David

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The hidden message.

Brilliant. I've got it now. Sorry it took me a while. Just to check was the hidden message that the club is a shambles, cocu is a shambles and our recruitment and retention policy is a shambles?

I can see why offering Bennett a new contract would create a post like that. Easy leap to make really. Not true, but a lazy, easy, ill informed leap to make no the less.

4 minutes ago, KBB said:

Brilliant. I've got it now. Sorry it took me a while. Just to check was the hidden message that the club is a shambles, cocu is a shambles and our recruitment and retention policy is a shambles?

I can see why offering Bennett a new contract would create a post like that. Easy leap to make really. Not true, but a lazy, easy, ill informed leap to make no the less.

Don't think I implied that at all mate.

Cocu dropped him, didn’t even put him on the bench for a number of games (and then yes randomly bought him back in) but obviously doesn’t rate him the same way he does, say Lawrence (I.e gets in the team despite doing nothing), so if Cocu is signing off on it, I really struggle with the why.

4 hours ago, DCFC Ram said:

The spireites and Notts County weren't keen on keeping him.

He probably fits into the current squad roulette / raffle strategy though.

Work with quite a few County fans. He had 1 goal & 1 assist from. 1 1/2 games before he got crocked and they were gutted and reckoned they’d have gone up if he didn’t get injured...instead they lost in the play offs, the money started drying up and they now play in the conference. They’d have loved him back, but Lampard had him in the first team squad.

still, not sure I’d be giving him a contract, without the boozing incident, he’s literally always been injured throughout his whole career.

This is surprising and dissapointing news for me...not a striker or a winger or anything for that matter I would've looked to offload to someone like Oxford in exchange ( plus Cash... which says it all ) for Dickie....what is going on !!?

7 hours ago, King Kevin said:

No, been watching football a long time I know a footballer when I see one and he ain't it.

Ah sorry. I didn't realize the length of time watching football was correlated with understanding it.

That explains why so many in here knew more than Frank and know more than Cocu.

I feel enlightened to know that as a season ticket holder from the 60s my opinion is so much more important than some millennials.

How dare they question me?

And you of course.  

48 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ah sorry. I didn't realize the length of time watching football was correlated with understanding it.

That explains why so many in here knew more than Frank and know more than Cocu.

I feel enlightened to know that as a season ticket holder from the 60s my opinion is so much more important than some millennials.

How dare they question me?

And you of course.  

You need to look a bit more closely at what he has actually achieved. He has won us a few points but his goals per appearance stats are dire, striker he is not. He has been around for a long time and yet with Derby or out on various loans he has never delivered on a consistent basis whether through injury or crapness. That he is regarded as worth a future contract is a statement of very limited ambition. Contrast his stats with Tom Lawrence, who gets so much stick.

Perhaps the contract is partly due to the performance measure mentioned by Mel Morris whereby, next season, Cocu is targeted on having 50% of starting 11 as players  who have come through the academy.

7 months off (so others could step up) but currently we have Lowe, Knight, Bird, Bogle with Sibley also looking like he deserves a first team place. Bogle could leave, and a midfield of Knight, Lowe and Bird is a stretch. Perhaps giving Bennett a new contract ticks another box on list of academy players starting next season?

As an aside I remain uncertain how that 50% target works in a team of 11, is it 5 players? 6? or is someone counting as half a player?

52 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Perhaps the contract is partly due to the performance measure mentioned by Mel Morris whereby, next season, Cocu is targeted on having 50% of starting 11 as players  who have come through the academy.

7 months off (so others could step up) but currently we have Lowe, Knight, Bird, Bogle with Sibley also looking like he deserves a first team place. Bogle could leave, and a midfield of Knight, Lowe and Bird is a stretch. Perhaps giving Bennett a new contract ticks another box on list of academy players starting next season?

As an aside I remain uncertain how that 50% target works in a team of 11, is it 5 players? 6? or is someone counting as half a player?

5 at kick off with a half time sub on ?

Don’t really see the harm in this.  Doubt he’ll be on huge money, still relatively young, been very unlucky with injuries.  Not really a fan of letting somebody like Mason leave on a free.  Not like you get anything back in the future if he goes on to ‘make it’.  If he is under contract, and we sell him on, at least you can get things like sell on clauses etc (as well as a fee... perhaps).  

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I suspect it's a case of "We've invested far too much time and money on him over the years, to allow him to walk away on a free"?

The dangerous assumption with that strategy being valid is IF a team is going to come in and pay a transfer fee for him. Big if. I haven't seen many rumours linking him to other clubs over the past couple of seasons so not sure why now he's going to be in demand. 

9 hours ago, rammieib said:

Cocu dropped him, didn’t even put him on the bench for a number of games (and then yes randomly bought him back in) but obviously doesn’t rate him the same way he does, say Lawrence (I.e gets in the team despite doing nothing), so if Cocu is signing off on it, I really struggle with the why.

Cocu said it took Bennett quite a while to get his head straight following the incident

59 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The dangerous assumption with that strategy being valid is IF a team is going to come in and pay a transfer fee for him. Big if. I haven't seen many rumours linking him to other clubs over the past couple of seasons so not sure why now he's going to be in demand. 

Totally agree.  Not for one minute suggesting he's "in demand". 
It's a classic case of "when to cut our losses".  Pure gamble, on the club's part, and only time will tell whether they win the bet or not!

Archived