Harry and Meghan

RamNut

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Opinion seems to be that it's because she's black and/or American.

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree. I can't think of any other reason why there's such a contrast?

To be fair, Meghan hasn't exactly helped herself. I do agree the press probably are after her, but I don't buy it's only because she's black and American. She's made mistakes. I remember last summer when she got her security to stop a man ''taking a picture of her'' when he was just stood at the railings trying to take a selfie. Then there was the business with her father, which I don't really have a strong opinion on. I can't remember Kate really being involved in much controversy at all. I think if she was the press would be attacking her too, there just isn't really anything they can attack. 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree. I can't think of any other reason why there's such a contrast?

God I really hope it’s not cos she’s black. What a time to be alive if that’s true. 

Bad enough if it’s because she’s American though. She’s not exactly King Ralph, or Cletus the Slack Jawed yokel. Fair enough if Harry had married some slapped, he’d probably get stick, but just as likely to find one of them in the UK. So they’re singling her our simply cos she’s not British. 

I bloody hate this country sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, Meghan hasn't exactly helped herself. I do agree the press probably are after her, but I don't buy it's only because she's black and American. She's made mistakes. I remember last summer when she got her security to stop a man ''taking a picture of her'' when he was just stood at the railings trying to take a selfie. Then there was the business with her father, which I don't really have a strong opinion on. I can't remember Kate really being involved in much controversy at all. I think if she was the press would be attacking her too, there just isn't really anything they can attack. 

I don't think she's completely blameless, no. But I do think there is something of the 'English rose vs mixed race American' that the likes of the Mail and the Sun know their readers will absolutely lap up. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

God I really hope it’s not cos she’s black. What a time to be alive if that’s true. 

Bad enough if it’s because she’s American though. She’s not exactly King Ralph, or Cletus the Slack Jawed yokel. Fair enough if Harry had married some slapped, he’d probably get stick, but just as likely to find one of them in the UK. So they’re singling her our simply cos she’s not British. 

I bloody hate this country sometimes. 

I wouldn't be surprised (see my comment above). You see similar with headlines about Raheem Sterling, where he's called 'flash' for having a big house. Clearly, it's not at the level of times gone by, but I think there's still a definite undercurrent of racism that still goes on and lives on through the media.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Have you seen this artuicle though? Side by side articles from the same news organisations

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

It's insidious and hard to deny that there is an agenda going on

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nah, not having the race card here. The press are tossers, we all know that and they always play these games. Fergie and Diana, one a rose and one a dragon. Was that because Fergie was a ginger? Nah not really, she was just less likeable than Di and the press fill loads of column inches building one up and slagging one off. Meghan got really good press when she came, she thought this was Hollywood and tried to butt heads with the tabloids. Bad move. Kate is the quintessential royal women, does what is expected and is pretty boring. Played off against MM, only one winner. Could the criticism of her just be because she aint all that likeable? Playing the race card is just bollx, it really is. 

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Nah, not having the race card here. The press are tossers, we all know that and they always play these games. Fergie and Diana, one a rose and one a dragon. Was that because Fergie was a ginger? Nah not really, she was just less likeable than Di and the press fill loads of column inches building one up and slagging one off. Meghan got really good press when she came, she thought this was Hollywood and tried to butt heads with the tabloids. Bad move. Kate is the quintessential royal women, does what is expected and is pretty boring. Played off against MM, only one winner. Could the criticism of her just be because she aint all that likeable? Playing the race card is just bollx, it really is. 

Aye, and people wonder why the media hounded her AND Harry. 

Maybe it was all the threats of legal action and trying to suppress any news about anything they did.

They took on the media. And this is what happens.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

Aye, and people wonder why the media hounded her AND Harry. 

Maybe it was all the threats of legal action and trying to suppress any news about anything they did.

Have the media hounded Harry? All I've heard from the recent fallout is that she's practically dragged him out of the Royal Family.

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Aye, and people wonder why the media hounded her AND Harry

poo, maybe the ginger thing, is really a thing. ?

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Have the media hounded Harry? All I've heard from the recent fallout is that she's practically dragged him out of the Royal Family.

He's been roundly criticised in the press. Recently been called a 'weak whiner'. The whole Canada trip was not just criticism of Meghan, it was both of them. Blagging gigs for her with the Disney dude. That went well for him.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

You can have xenophobia tho - just cos MM is an american (irrespective of race).

The shrieking rags that publish these sorts of "comparisons" try to tap into some unpleasant undercurrents.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I think you're correct, but it has nothing to do with Meghan's behavior. You called it correctly with the Diana/Fergie comparison. The press were always going to go for Meghan because drama sells and they can't go for Kate because she's the future Queen. If Meghan and Kate were each married to the other brother the tabloids would be muckraking over Kate.

12 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You can have xenophobia tho - just cos MM is an american (irrespective of race).

The shrieking rags that publish these sorts of "comparisons" try to tap into some unpleasant undercurrents.

I don't believe the 'American' angle was too much of an issue before the wedding. It's just a straight press choice between the two. Meghan just loaded the gun and made the decision simple.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I don't believe the 'American' angle was too much of an issue before the wedding. It's just a straight press choice between the two. Meghan just loaded the gun and made the decision simple.

Granted. But just because the killer that fired the shot didn't load the gun, is not really a defence if they killed someone. 

Anyway, they've moved on to taking legal action against the Daily Mail.....good luck with that!

29 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Granted. But just because the killer that fired the shot didn't load the gun, is not really a defence if they killed someone. 

Anyway, they've moved on to taking legal action against the Daily Mail.....good luck with that!

Not saying the press are right but we all know how they work. Divide and conquer sells copies or promotes clicks.. Just surprised at Harry for being so naive on the matter and falling into just about every trap possible. This could all have been handled so much better. 

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Not saying the press are right but we all know how they work. Divide and conquer sells copies or promotes clicks.. Just surprised at Harry for being so naive on the matter and falling into just about every trap possible. This could all have been handled so much better. 

So does racism and xenophobia.

Even if the journalists themselves aren't attacking her for those reasons, do you not think it's in their best interests to appeal to people who dislike her because she's black and American? Some of those readers may openly feel that way, while it will feed others' subconscious beliefs that are the product of their upbringing.

22 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

So does racism and xenophobia.

Even if the journalists themselves aren't attacking her for those reasons, do you not think it's in their best interests to appeal to people who dislike her because she's black and American? Some of those readers may openly feel that way, while it will feed others' subconscious beliefs that are the product of their upbringing.

Bull... Show me some proof of racism. If I follow your thought process nobody can have a view on anything anymore.

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Bull... Show me some proof of racism. If I follow your thought process nobody can have a view on anything anymore.

I just think that the likes of the Mail are feeding the appetites of a certain section of society, whether or not they’re open about it. Dog whistles and all that. 

We’re never going to agree so might as well leave it there.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I just think that the likes of the Mail are feeding the appetites of a certain section of society, whether or not they’re open about it. Dog whistles and all that. 

We’re never going to agree so might as well leave it there.

Wait until you're free of your university lecturers and fellow students. 

Racism and xenophobia are just words used to throw at people they disagree with. Saves them arguing actual points. Echo Chambers do not provide change for improvement. Look at the Labour Party. 

This country is the most liberal, diverse, tolerant, and historically, democratic country in the whole ducking world. To think millions and millions of Brits are racists and secret xenophobes and are having their subconscious tapped into by the Daily Mail, turning everyone into far-righters is just baalocks. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

This country is the most liberal, diverse, tolerant, and historically, democratic country in the whole ducking world.

That's a pretty good review, a touch of patriotic bias there maybe? 

Incidentally you are right racism and xenophobia are labels thrown about far too often, but they aren't just words.  They are still very real problems. Less so that in the past, no but but to dismiss them entirely as just 'words' is as misguided as throwing them about carelessly to win an argument.

Archived