Harry and Meghan

RamNut

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/01/2020 at 19:25, BaaLocks said:

I saw it live and even as he was speakng I thought it was an utterly stupid thing to say. FWIW I agree that the hounding of Meghan is likely not consciously racist (the Di and Fergie analogy is a very good one, thx - I've put that in my pocket for when I need it) and it really doesn't help the argument either way to try and suggest it is, evn though that puts me in a quite horrible place of being in agreement with Pritya Patel on something. I was the same over the Danny Baker image - stupid but not hateful, suggesting racism misses the point. But Lozza's reaction was about as typical as an entitled gammon could be, you couldn't have scripted it closer.

The more worrying thing was the reception he got for his comments - that can't be the country we live in, can it?

I take it your comments are meant to be a joke?

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Oh come on. Disagree all you like, but don't call her scum.

The white guy threw out the term 'racist', too.

Why is he ‘the white guy’? Muppet comment.

He was right and made her look what she was.. Scum. Everything I hate in today’s society.. 

31 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Why is he ‘the white guy’? Muppet comment.

He was right and made her look what she was.. Scum. Everything I hate in today’s society.. 

Literally used that term because I couldn't remember his name, and to suggest that what some (you, @Norman, etc) consider frivolous accusations of racism happen on both sides of the divide. 

What about her is scum? Her belief that Meghan's race is the main factor in the press coverage? The fact that she works for the BBC? The fact that she's a researcher in whatever she's a researcher in?

55 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Literally used that term because I couldn't remember his name, and to suggest that what some (you, @Norman, etc) consider frivolous accusations of racism happen on both sides of the divide. 

What about her is scum? Her belief that Meghan's race is the main factor in the press coverage? The fact that she works for the BBC? The fact that she's a researcher in whatever she's a researcher in?

You liberally forget his name (it would have taken seconds to find out) and you liberally forgot he was an actor.. Rubbish. Instead you went for the white guy comment. You get zero respect for that.

I hate all that white privilege crap she was spouting.. I asked you before for one example of press racism towards her and I don’t believe you did. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

You liberally forget his name (it would have taken seconds to find out) and you liberally forgot he was an actor.. Rubbish. Instead you went for the white guy comment. You get zero respect for that.

I hate all that white privilege crap she was spouting.. I asked you before for one example of press racism towards her and I don’t believe you did. 

I really don't get your problem with the 'white guy' thing. I genuinely typed out 'the guy' first, but changed it to be clear. Serious question, what is your problem with it?

I don't think I can 'prove' racism, as they're not exactly going to use the 'n' word in their headlines, are they? I showed you the difference in the way Kate and Meghan have been treated. The reasons for their differing treatments are open to interpretation. I haven't even said that I'm 100% sure it's racism. 

I thought the woman began to make a valid point about how it is far more difficult for a white person to judge what is racism and what isn't. I'm not saying I agree with everything she says, but we're clearly going to have less experience dealing with racism, subtle or blatant, than a black person. Even so, my original point was that I completely disagree with you labelling her as 'scum' for having a different opinion.

20 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I hate all that white privilege crap

LOL. Funny how the people who hate the "white privilege crap" are always white.

I suppose in your defence the defining element of white privilege is that you don't notice it. You're actually pretty woke to be complaining about it! Haha

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Who does it help when people spout off about white privilege? I've come to resent people going on about it, because it's so tiresome and unhelpful. Just a load of overly angry people shouting at others for something they can't help or control. 

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Who does it help when people spout off about white privilege? I've come to resent people going on about it, because it's so tiresome and unhelpful. Just a load of overly angry people shouting at others for something they can't help or control. 

Good question to ask. 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Good question to ask. 

I see a lot of shouting and anger over it, but what is anyone supposed to do about it really? I'm just jaded with identity politics. It seems to have infected every single aspect of society today. You can't just dislike someone because you find them irritating it's because they're x/y/z. 

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I suppose in your defence the defining element of white privilege is that you don't notice it. You're actually pretty woke to be complaining about it! Haha

What is white privilege? 

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I really don't get your problem with the 'white guy' thing. I genuinely typed out 'the guy' first, but changed it to be clear. Serious question, what is your problem with it?

I don't think I can 'prove' racism, as they're not exactly going to use the 'n' word in their headlines, are they? I showed you the difference in the way Kate and Meghan have been treated. The reasons for their differing treatments are open to interpretation. I haven't even said that I'm 100% sure it's racism. 

I thought the woman began to make a valid point about how it is far more difficult for a white person to judge what is racism and what isn't. I'm not saying I agree with everything she says, but we're clearly going to have less experience dealing with racism, subtle or blatant, than a black person. Even so, my original point was that I completely disagree with you labelling her as 'scum' for having a different opinion.

Because I don’t believe your default comment would be ‘white guy’ without it being a deliberate choice of words. 

You showed the difference between how Kate and Meghan were treated in the press and then chose to label it racism, which it clearly isn’t. I could call you a racist for the white guy comment but I don’t believe for one second you are, so I will just think that you a desperate to be seen to be woke. Congrats you have achieved that. Throw your labels around, dilute any real racism and become part of the problem. Way to go yoof.

She was not making a valid point and was rightly put in her place by The White Guy. Tell me why it is so important that white people seem to want to speak up for black people when as you say they don’t know what racism is? We continually see the term used cheaply and it’s wrong. As the guy said, clear and obvious.. 

20 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Here you are.. Hero of the poor and down trodden. Puff that chest out.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Who does it help when people spout off about white privilege? I've come to resent people going on about it, because it's some tiresome and unhelpful. Just a load of overly angry people shouting at others for something they can't help or control. 

At first, I was a like that, and still am when someone says it really aggressively. It is frustrating when you perceive you're being attacked for something you have no control over. However, I think when it comes to the issue of racism, it is relevant. 

Would you agree that ethnic minorities are going to have more experience dealing with racism than white people? I imagine you would. I've started thinking of it like this:

A plumber, who's had experience on the job since he was a teenager, is likely going to be able to spot a problem with the pipes with ease. He's experienced all types of plumbing issues over the years, and he knows all the signs of a problem without even looking for it. Contrast that with an accountant, who's never seen a pipe in his life. The accountant isn't going to be able to spot the signs and see the root cause of the issue anywhere near as well as the plumber, who's so tuned in to pipe issues that it's obvious where the problem lies. The accountant doesn't particularly dislike pipes, but he just struggles to see where the issues lie because he's not got any experience with them whatsoever.

Swap the plumber for ethnic minorities, swap the accountant for white people and swap the pipe issues with racism. 

That might be total baalocks, but it's the best I can come up with whilst I'm supposed to be revising.

Archived