v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 minute ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

One good performance from Lawrence doesn't make a summer, Martin played well and scored, How come he's not included?, The love in from Cocu concerning Lawrence is somewhat frustrating, I'll hold fire until after the game, I'm Lawrences least admireing supporter, A talent that he's determind to squander.

I'm Spartacus!

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really harsh on Wisdom but Bogle knows he has to perform or he'll be out of the team.

Same principle with Lawrence, I suspected the lack of options before Christmas meant he wasn't being pushed to his best. Now there are options if he doesnt work hard enough and he has the prospect of Rooney tearing into him also. Look forward to seeing how they get on.

Pleased Bird has regained his place. Huddlestone must have been close to starting after last week but that extra mobility against Clayton & Saville could be valuable.

I think this team is alright. From what we’ve seen of Rooney so far, I’d say he will be spraying passes out to the wing from his midfield position.

He needs forward thinking full backs and willing runners ahead of him and that is what he’s got with this selection.

Granted, we could do with a bit more quality from some of our quickest players, but I hope this works out for us.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I knew Butterfield wasn't a winger, Buxton would get murdered on the right of back 3 and Bryson is a terrible defensive midfielder. 

But Nigel Pearson knew better.

Did the subsequent two managers repeat what Pearson did as well then?

I mean I don’t think Lawrence is great but the last three managers have all been happy with what he contributes. That says to me he is doing pretty close to what is asked of him.

On top of that who on earth else would you bring in to replace Marriott? Waghorn and Martin would be horribly stodgy. 

It’s just whinging for whinging sake so that if we lose people can say I told you so, and if we win they can say well I’m just happy we won then repeat in 7 days time 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm so glad of the insight of some on here who have clearly been at training sessions, team meetings, management and medical meetings, all this week. Otherwise I'd assume that the manager and his team actually knew what they were doing and took decisions based on information at their disposal.

Tom Lawrence has been poor lately, yet Cocu clearly hasn’t noticed like everyone else has. The fact he continues to ignore the embarrassment of experience and quality we have from our back up wide players of Jozefzoon and the injured Anya, and his refusal to ruin Morgan Whittaker’s development by playing him in every single Championship game, just shows how clueless he is. A curious juxtaposition with the many on here who would have clearly picked a better team and would take 3 points today.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

If only our manager who’s played for Barcelona and managed PSV to a Dutch title knew what we knew.

While I'm not in a rush to slate the team before a ball is kicked, Cocu may have been a great player for Barcelona and a top manager in Holland but that didn't help him beat Gary Rowett's Millwall. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whittaker gives us an option on the wing. Sibley’s missing out because we have 3 defenders on the bench. 

Don't you think Sibley is perfectly capable of playing there too? For me he can be central midfield, wide midfield (aka wing for us) or the number 10 role if we line up like that. Everything Lawrence can do and more.

Whittaker is stylish but without the physicality so seems much less effective. Lawrence will give you a much better game than Sibley one game in ten when he's brilliant, but the rest of the time he goes missing. I just think leaving Sibbo out for either of these two is the wrong call.

Just now, Alpha said:

While I'm not in a rush to slate the team before a ball is kicked, Cocu may have been a great player for Barcelona and a top manager in Holland but that didn't help him beat Gary Rowett's Millwall. 

And some of us on here have managed a team that has beaten Gary Rowett’s Millwall? ?

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Why are people criticising the inclusion of Lawrence and Bogle when they played in the most impressive performance and result of the last three?

So good that we made 7 changes today? Lawrence has been abysmal all season and was ok at Palace. Personally don't think he deserves to immediately go straight back into the team for his first league game back from suspension especially if everyone else gets dropped. I also don't think we should have dropped WIsdom, but I'm sure Cocu knows what he's doing.

Just now, Alpha said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m not saying you can’t critique his selections either.

I just hate the implication that Lawrence is selected without Cocu considering the matter carefully (by the way, my heart sank seeing him on the team sheet too). As if Cocu is blissfully ignorant to his poor performances  and can’t tell what the most basic of football fans could spot by watching him play only a handful of times.

It just really irks me that people are ignorant to the other side of the argument - as if there isn’t a single reason any sane human being would even consider starting Tom Lawrence in a football match. I wouldn’t play him, but Cocu will have his reasons.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We played bloody brilliantly against Barnsley without him. 

So, in conclusion, we've played well with him and well without him in the last three games. Which makes the hysteria a little strange, no? People are making out like it's impossible to play well with him in the team. 

His last game was a solid performance in a feelgood win against Premier League opposition, marking our first away win since August (wonder who scored both in the August game?). 

5 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Can't believe the short memories of some fans regarding Bogle.   Form is temporary, class is permanent 

he's not  class mate he really isn't has a lot to learn about defending mainly!......defensively not as good as Wisdom

Archived